lock ups

November 5, 2004 12:26:02 AM

my windows xp home sp 2 will just kock up at any time i run a amd 2100 + with
512 ram ?

More about : lock ups

Anonymous
November 5, 2004 5:03:03 AM

Not much info here Tony.
Has the system ever run properly? Does it boot to the desktop? What's the
make and model? Be more specific.
Your post would be much easier to read if you used proper capitalization .

"tony domenico" wrote:

> my windows xp home sp 2 will just kock up at any time i run a amd 2100 + with
> 512 ram ?
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 9:06:29 AM

Hi Tony,

Please see: http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"tony domenico" <tony domenico@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my windows xp home sp 2 will just kock up at any time i run a amd 2100 +
> with
> 512 ram ?
November 5, 2004 3:39:04 PM

Most lockups can be traced to a corrupt or outdated driver. Everst Home
Edition is an excellent and free program, for home users, that will assist
you in identifying all your stuff and gives you links to the sites for
updates\patches.
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang...
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 4:56:06 PM

First, be sure your antivirus software has the latest definitions and run a
virus scan.

Second, download, install and run Ad Aware:
www.lavasoftusa.com
Note: you should always be well backed up before running an application of
this type.

If your system is clear of viruses, open Control Panel, open System, go to
the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery, remove the
check from "Automatically Restart" under System Failure. This will cause
the system to blue screen instead of restarting on errors and the
information on the blue screen may give a clue as to the source of the
issue.

Open Control Panel, open Administrative Tools, open Event Viewer, look for
errors corresponding to the crash, double click the error, the information
contained within may give a clue as to the
source of the problem. If you don't understand the information inside, the
third button down in that dialog box will copy the information,
you can then paste it into a message and post it here and maybe we can
figure out what is going on.

Assuming you have an XP CD and not a recovery CD, place the XP CD in the
drive, when the setup screen appears, select "Check System Compatibility,"
the report it generates may point to problem hardware or software on your
system. If you do not have an XP CD, you can download this application
known as the Upgrade Advisor from the following site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgradi...
Note: If you have access to a broadband connection it might be best to
download using that as this is a rather large download.

Check for the latest drivers for your hardware, especially your graphics
card and soundcard and all peripherals connected to your system. Do not use
Windows Update for this, go to the device manufacturer's web sites and if
you install updated drivers, ignore the message about drivers being unsigned
by Microsoft. *Before installing any drivers, be sure you are well backed
up and it's probably a good idea to manually create a restore point in
System Restore in case you have problems as a result of the driver update
and note, System Restore is not a substitute for a backup. Start\All
Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"tony domenico" <tony domenico@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my windows xp home sp 2 will just kock up at any time i run a amd 2100 +
> with
> 512 ram ?
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 9:06:07 PM

tony domenico wrote:
> my windows xp home sp 2 will just kock up at any time i run a amd
> 2100 + with 512 ram ?

Under what specific set of conditions do the "kock ups" occur?
What specific error messages do you get? What do your system event
logs report? What changes, if any, did you make to the computer's
hardware or software configuration immediately prior to the onset of
the problem? What specific troubleshooting steps have you already
taken, and what were the results of each?

No one can help if you don't provide at least a modicum of
information.

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Otherwise, you might as well try here: