lock ups

my windows xp home sp 2 will just kock up at any time i run a amd 2100 + with
512 ram ?
5 answers Last reply
More about lock

    Not much info here Tony.
    Has the system ever run properly? Does it boot to the desktop? What's the
    make and model? Be more specific.
    Your post would be much easier to read if you used proper capitalization .

    "tony domenico" wrote:

    > my windows xp home sp 2 will just kock up at any time i run a amd 2100 + with
    > 512 ram ?

    Hi Tony,

    Please see: http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "tony domenico" <tony domenico@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > my windows xp home sp 2 will just kock up at any time i run a amd 2100 +
    > with
    > 512 ram ?

    Most lockups can be traced to a corrupt or outdated driver. Everst Home
    Edition is an excellent and free program, for home users, that will assist
    you in identifying all your stuff and gives you links to the sites for
    updates\patches.
    http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en

    First, be sure your antivirus software has the latest definitions and run a
    virus scan.

    Second, download, install and run Ad Aware:
    www.lavasoftusa.com
    Note: you should always be well backed up before running an application of
    this type.

    If your system is clear of viruses, open Control Panel, open System, go to
    the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery, remove the
    check from "Automatically Restart" under System Failure. This will cause
    the system to blue screen instead of restarting on errors and the
    information on the blue screen may give a clue as to the source of the
    issue.

    Open Control Panel, open Administrative Tools, open Event Viewer, look for
    errors corresponding to the crash, double click the error, the information
    contained within may give a clue as to the
    source of the problem. If you don't understand the information inside, the
    third button down in that dialog box will copy the information,
    you can then paste it into a message and post it here and maybe we can
    figure out what is going on.

    Assuming you have an XP CD and not a recovery CD, place the XP CD in the
    drive, when the setup screen appears, select "Check System Compatibility,"
    the report it generates may point to problem hardware or software on your
    system. If you do not have an XP CD, you can download this application
    known as the Upgrade Advisor from the following site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp
    Note: If you have access to a broadband connection it might be best to
    download using that as this is a rather large download.

    Check for the latest drivers for your hardware, especially your graphics
    card and soundcard and all peripherals connected to your system. Do not use
    Windows Update for this, go to the device manufacturer's web sites and if
    you install updated drivers, ignore the message about drivers being unsigned
    by Microsoft. *Before installing any drivers, be sure you are well backed
    up and it's probably a good idea to manually create a restore point in
    System Restore in case you have problems as a result of the driver update
    and note, System Restore is not a substitute for a backup. Start\All
    Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    tony domenico wrote:
    > my windows xp home sp 2 will just kock up at any time i run a amd
    > 2100 + with 512 ram ?

    Under what specific set of conditions do the "kock ups" occur?
    What specific error messages do you get? What do your system event
    logs report? What changes, if any, did you make to the computer's
    hardware or software configuration immediately prior to the onset of
    the problem? What specific troubleshooting steps have you already
    taken, and what were the results of each?

    No one can help if you don't provide at least a modicum of
    information.

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Otherwise, you might as well try here: