Anyone have any problems gaming with dual core?

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Hey guys,

I have recently bought a X2 3800+ basically because it only cost me $85 after I sold my other processor, well heres my problem.

When I play counter stirke source I am getting about 120 fps, but for some reason it feels like im sliding everywhere. I dont really know how else to explain it, when I switch weapons is sort of skips as it goes down, almost as if I was lagging, but I am not even in an online game...im just hosting one with bots to test the settings!

When I play WoW, this isssue isnt as big, but just curious if anyone else see's this! I am getting 60 fps, all the time and when i spin left and right or turn, whetever I do with the mouse is nice and smooth, but when I use the keyboard to turn or spin / whatever it skips, but it doesnt drop frames at all!

Anyone know what this is/how to fix it! Also I have installed the AMD Dual Core Optimizer, do I need to do anything else other than jsut install it?

It does this no matter if it is overclocked or set on stock settings, I have even reinstalled the operating system and updated all drivers as well have checked all the computer components of the computer with PC Check and it all pass'd and the processor is 12 hours Prime 95 stable! Though when I run prime95 the processors dont seem to run the tests at the same speed, sometimes one may finish a test before the other, and then on the next test the one that finished behind the one before is now finishing ahead...is this normal? I have tried chaning voltages and all sorts of settings...any help on this matter would be very appreicated!

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Best,

3Ball

Did you install the microsoft dual core patch and the amd dual core patch in addition to the amd optimizer? Also, did you set each instance of prime95 to run on a separate core? You didn't mention your vid card, but be sure to use the newest drivers.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
i have updated the bios, but I did not know there was a Microsoft dual core patch and amd one as well i just thought that there was the optimizer!

I am goin to look for them, but if anyone has link that would be great as well!

I dont want to use Vsync, im not getting tears on the screen from over fps, but also something i had thought of!

Best,

3Ball

asdasd123123

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Does it do this every time?
I had that once, but tested HL2DM and all the other source games I own, but neither did the same. And when I went back to CSS, it was gone...

This switch in boot.ini solved a bunch of bugs on my system,
it's straight under C:
and you should just add /usepmtimer

my boot.ini as an example, DO NOT COPY straight over, it won't match your system.

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXP32
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXP32="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut /usepmtimer

The dual core patch just made games crash all over the place for me.

Edit:
Doh, do this, go to screensaver settings, select power settings and choose "minimal power saving" It's Cool and Quiet messing up, that's enabled by default.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I have cool and quiet disabled in the bios, and also it isnt as bad when I am online, but it is still there (this is for the Half life games), but in WoW it is still there I just installed those 2 patches as well and it isnt quite workin, im goin to try reading though the other forum!

Best,

3Ball