PC won't boot up, sometimes. Please help!!

rpeirats

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
sometimes when I turn on the pc, it won't go to post. I have to turn it off and on , sometimes for several times. I noticed that when i turn it on, the cpu fan spins fast and then slows down, then it boots. But when I turn it on and it doesn't boot, i noticed that the cpu fan starts fast, and never slows down, then it doesn't boot. I can't figure out this strange behavior. I have dissasembled and assembled 2 times already, but same problem. Please help. My specs are:
P5N32-SLI SE DELUXE, 0204 BIOS
CONROE E6700
WD 7200 SATA 3GB 250GB
1GB CORSAIR XMS2 DDR2-800
EVGA 7950GX2
ANTEC TRIO POWER 650W PSU
STOCK CLOCKS AND SPEEDS

Oliver_FF

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I've been having the same issues with a different setup. Does your motherboard have an EZ-Plug? Have you got it plugged in?

If you've got an EZ-Plug and it's insterted and your PSU's two 12v rails aren't identical it can slowly damage your power supply. I unplugged mine after it started not posting occasionally, and it slowly got better and this morning it worked first time :)

rpeirats

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
What's a EZ-Plug?????

Also, I updated to beta bios 0305 and no problems till now (only been 1 day with the new bios, so im not sure it really fixed my problem)

fferree

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Have you tried disconnecting the fan from the Processor and removing whatever is in between on both surfaces and reapplying heatsink silicone to the processor? It might help.

rice_nz

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
I am havign exactly the same problem. it takes a few turn on/off's to even get it to budge. you pay thsi much for a system its extremely frustrating for it not to work even after you follow the instructions of Asus by the letter. Not as high spec as the first guys which now makes me certain that this is a mobo problem.

my system is P5N32-SLI SE DELUXE, 0204 BIOS
Intel core 2 duo 6600
Asus Nvidia SLI en7900
WB 36gb Raptor 10000 drive SATA
WB 120gb IDE Drive.
ADATA 1gb DDR2-667(i think i have forgotten -_- )
ACBell 550W Psu
two dvd burners and everything is runnign at default values. and 2 case fans which use teh psu's molex connectors. even if i unplug these these make no diffrent so dotn say its psu. it does it with a 650w i brought home to try.

Any help will greatly be appreciated.

**Reapplyign thermal grease and such doesnt work at all. disconnectign and reassemblign and clearign teh bios and loading it in again doesnt work either.

**My ezplug is not installed. it is jsut an outline printed on teh board.

sometimes when I turn on the pc, it won't go to post. I have to turn it off and on , sometimes for several times. I noticed that when i turn it on, the cpu fan spins fast and then slows down, then it boots. But when I turn it on and it doesn't boot, i noticed that the cpu fan starts fast, and never slows down, then it doesn't boot. I can't figure out this strange behavior. I have dissasembled and assembled 2 times already, but same problem. Please help. My specs are:
P5N32-SLI SE DELUXE, 0204 BIOS
CONROE E6700
WD 7200 SATA 3GB 250GB
1GB CORSAIR XMS2 DDR2-800
EVGA 7950GX2
ANTEC TRIO POWER 650W PSU
STOCK CLOCKS AND SPEEDS

bigh

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
I am having this problem too. Any help would be appreciated, my system is:

Antec P180, Gigabayte DS4 mobo, E6600, 2GB Corsair DDR2-667, Samsung Spinpoint 250GB, ATI X1800XT, Tagan 480W PSU

I don't have the 4-pin molex connected but occasionally it won't post until i unplug the system. Sounds like a power problem?

fferree

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I'm new to computer building so before I purchase a motherboard I check them out at Newegg.com. Customers write reviews and many have problems and tell us how they solved the problem or just gave up and sent the product back.

After my system is installed I load information and programs, including a BIOS update, from the motherboard support cd that comes with the motherboard. Beyond the support cd I've rarely had to update a BIOS.

When my system wouldn't boot up I plugged in the power cord with just the motherboard and power supply connected. If the system doesn't power up maybe the power supply or motherboard are defective.

I would check out the reviews of your motherboard at newegg.com.

Do all your components meet the requirements of the motherboard?

ScottsCustomComput

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Do not forget to connect the 8-pin EATX +12 V power plug
This will cause a similar boot up problem also.
It plugs in on the motherboard pretty close to the place where you plug in the keyboard and mouse. See users manual, if needed.

ScottsCustomComput

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I wouldn't be suprised If ASUS releases a new FAQ for P5N32-SLI SE DELUXE similar to this one below I just found.
http://event.asus.com/2006/mb/P5W_DH_DELUXE_faq.htm

It mentions using a non-Core 2 processor to boot and perform the BIOS update.

You also might be able to just use an older video card to update the BIOS, Like on the Directron link.

If it's the memory issue, try using a slower or different memory module.

ScottsCustomComput

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
The strange behavior sounds like the BIOS conflict.
Sometimes it turns on the smart CPU fan, for optimum operating temperature.
Sometimes it doesn't get that far.
CPU, BIOS instructions, and temperature can be affect where it's getting stuck.

You also have all the main components that the new BIOS fixes (Conroe, 8oomhz memory Corsair, the newest SLI video card 7950)

ScottsCustomComput

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
It could be the PSU like Thelvyn suggests.

One must also consider that a BIOS error, a component incompatibility, a bad monitor, a bad video card, cabling error, bad RAM, a defective PSU, a fried motherboard component, a defective CPU, can all prevent the POST from showing.

thelvyn

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
You can generally tell if its a bad monitor.
Drive activity is a good indicator, if it seems to turn on fine you could wait till activity stops then press the power button(whether its set to hibernate or turn off) you will see some activity as it shuts down.

Normally on this type of problem you disconnect everything that is not absolutely required including removing any extra cards, sound or whatever.
Including the power from cd/dvd etc

MB/cpu/video and one stick of ram
double check power connections
Try booting.
if nothing try another stick of ram
NOTE:Normally bad ram will at least beep a couple of times
still nothing try swapping the psu
Still nothing then its either bad cpu, video or mb problem.
Try clearing cmos, I remove the battery, disc the power cord from psu, short the jumper then wait 30 seconds to be sure.
recconect power cord, change jumper back and try again.
Still no joy try a different video card.

At this point its cpu/mb related if your still not posting.

Oliver_FF

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
If you know anyone else with a hefty power supply ask if you can borrow it, or try yours in their PC.

It does definately sound like a PSU issue here rather than a BIOS issue.

rice_nz

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
ok. my prob was. wouldnt post first time, had to hold the pwr buttong down, hear by wd raptor heads go TINK! hearing all the fans in the case go FULLLLLL SPEEED but no post screen. Also when it did start alot of the time the hard drive will go to sleep in the middle of loading win xp. then it would wake up and start to load iwndows REALLLLLY Slowly. --> Having tried EVERYTHING! i can let you all know flashing the bios to the newest d/lable bios 0401 works. IT boots up first time everytime from cold. i left it off for two days. and i started it after using it. i left it for a hour. i have taken oout the battery. drained all the current out of the psu also. Everything i tried to make it so it might not boot up first time failed.

so for those quickly scanning the forum for an answer.

Flashing the new bios to the newest downloadable bios 0401(20/09/06) fixes the unable to boot sometimes error. Now it boots first time everytime. And it doesnt take AGES to load windows like it used too.

If you want to know how to quickly flash without using or picking up the manual follow these steps.
Its pretty much from the manual but shorter =P

step 1. create a bootable win xp floppy. Stick a floppy in the drive. Right click on the floppy drive icon in my computer and click Format.

A menu appears. Hit create a msdos start up disk. It will say zOMG all your shizzle on the disc will be erased. just click ok and make sure teh write tab on the disk is in the down position.

step 2. Format another floppy disc. Put the AFUDOS.exe and the new .ROM file on that new disk you just formatted.

Step 3. restart and make sure you select the 1st bootable device as the Floppy drive.

step 4. Let the bootable disk work its magic until you see A:\>

If you see the error, DISK IO ERROR the floopy disk is corrupt and you need to use another one. Dont compress the files either.

Take out that bootable floopy disk once windows millenium has loaded and put in the disk with afudos and your rom.

type in the following [code:1:c201033a9a] afudos i\romname.rom[/code:1:c201033a9a]
for example after typing my rom name it looked like this
[code:1:c201033a9a]A:\>afudos i\0401.rom[/code:1:c201033a9a]

it iwll say reading file and once it starts thats it. go make a cup of tea or soemthing coz next time it boots it will be ok =D

If it says soemthing like it cant read the rom file. extract it from the zip or redownload it again. it should work once you have done that.

I hope this helps. Everyone else here thanks for helping! I really appreciated it. but it wasnt memory, psu, cpu or gfx card related.

rice_nz

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
Ah thats brilliant man. Shit i dunno about you guys... but im actually startign to enjoy my computer now nothign is wrong with it lol

where did you get 0501 from? its not listed here http://support.asus.com/download/download_item.aspx?model=P5N32-SLI%20SE%20Deluxe&type=Map&SLanguage=en-us
thats why i said newest "downloadable" update.

you know now the games are more fun to play , watchign movies are more enjoyable. maybe because there isnt that nagging problem you always had to worry about when you turned it on heh

stubbles

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
I hate the fact that ASUS uses spaces in their urls....

Go to the site directly, then browse to that same page. Be sure to click the Bios TAB on the top of the sceen - do not use the black text menu. For whatever reason, showing the beta bios is like a "hidden feature" - it's quite stupid. Pressing the tab will show the beta bios versions. :)

kasatka

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
hello, hope someone can help me: im having the same problems as the original post mentioned.

rpeirats 09-07-2006 at 06:23:40 AM

sometimes when I turn on the pc, it won't go to post. I have to turn it off and on , sometimes for several times. I noticed that when i turn it on, the cpu fan spins fast and then slows down, then it boots. But when I turn it on and it doesn't boot, i noticed that the cpu fan starts fast, and never slows down, then it doesn't boot. I can't figure out this strange behavior. I have dissasembled and assembled 2 times already, but same problem.

i've tried with almost all new componentes mobo,cpu,video card,psu but the problem won´t dissapear, coul it be that some of the old parts of the first machine that had the problem,damaged the new ones because i did not replaced all the parts at once, i used them with the new mobo,cpu and memory.

I would really appreciate any help, thanks in advance