Free conroe if u read this!

drappendix

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Im looking into buying a new computer. and as of now i would put in the core 2 extreme with the 7950 as a base. but the only thing stopping me (besides price) is the coming of the new microsoft line and dx10. i know that computers are advancing so fast now, and 2 months after i get this comp it will be worth one tenth of what i payed. But what iim trying to ask is that is the advancement in computer hardware and software going to be greater opposed to the average. or will it be close to the same. would it be wise to save my money and buy a new comp in say febuary? please get back to me on this, thanks.

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Im looking into buying a new computer. and as of now i would put in the core 2 extreme with the 7950 as a base. but the only thing stopping me (besides price) is the coming of the new microsoft line and dx10. i know that computers are advancing so fast now, and 2 months after i get this comp it will be worth one tenth of what i payed. But what iim trying to ask is that is the advancement in computer hardware and software going to be greater opposed to the average. or will it be close to the same. would it be wise to save my money and buy a new comp in say febuary? please get back to me on this, thanks.

Hey man, wheres my Conroe!?!Don't "buy" a new comp in Feb. MAKE your own comp in Feb. By that time X6800 isn't going to be the best and 7950 is going to suck.

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
That was a cheap trick...
I looked at this thread when it was "Future advancements".

You're asking an age-old question: "Should I, like, buy it now, or should I, like, wait, cause' I like, don't know."[/stoner]

Your question doesn't have an answer from us; I'm afraid the descision is purely up to you. The truth of this industry is "If you wait, you'll be waiting forever." You have to figure out whether you want to buy now. Since you're buying top-tier parts, it won't depreciate in value as much, and you'll also get a longer period of useablility out of it. Plus, remember that you can always upgrade. If you want a DX10 card, then just wait until they come out, then pop in the one you want. Or you could wait, and buy in February. You'll have to bite the bullet and buy at some point, but only you can tell yourself when.

P.S. - In defense of waiting, Intel is going to release the X6900 and Kentsfield, which should force a massive price drop on the X6800...but then the X6800 won't be top-tier anymore. I don't really have an answer for you, because it's your call in the end.

Edited for typos.

drappendix

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Sorry for the trick. got pissed when i posted sumthing and then some other guy posted something and he took all my hits :p i know there is no answer to that but what im asking is that , in your opinion. will the advancement from now till 07 be greater than that of other technology jumps.

tik

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2005

You scuk !

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
Sorry for the trick. got pissed when i posted sumthing and then some other guy posted something and he took all my hits :p i know there is no answer to that but what im asking is that , in your opinion. will the advancement from now till 07 be greater than that of other technology jumps.
EDIT: I just realized I was being a dick. I don't need anything extra like that.

Alright, 2007 will be a very intersting year. The big story is obviously the impending release of Vista. With its (Somewhat) bloated Aero interface, I believe it will send a somewhat unpredictable ripple across the hardware industry - what was considered acceptable yesterday is astonishingly inadequate today. That's the biggest change, and I am incapable of forseeing its effects.

On the CPU front, Intel is rolling out Kentsfield, the first quad-core CPU. AMD's 65nm CPUs are finally supposed to start emerging late this year/early next year, but are expected to still fall short of matching/outperforming the C2D. Later in 2007, Intel will release Wolfdale, Ridgefield, Penryn, Millvale, and perhaps Yorkfield, all on Intel's shiny new 45nm process. The first two are diw shrinks of Conroe with 3Mb and 6Mb of L2 cache, respectively. The thrid is the successor to Merom in the mobile chip market; the fourth is a single-core variant of Allendale with 1Mb L2; and the fifth has gained noteriety for being the first eight-core die. AMD isn't sleeping, they will hopefully unveil the 4x4 platform and debunk the mystery of K8L, their native quad-core. Overall, the CPU industry is in for a shocker of a year.

On the GPU front: DirectX 10. R600. G80. End of story. The focus seems to be on the processing monster that is the ATi R600 core, and the possibilites that DirectX 10 will bring. Other than that, nothing much to see here, but we really don't know all that much, so it could be a rough-and-tumble year.

Really, that's all that intersts me; you'll be seeing terabyte HDDs with perpendicular recording technology, 1kW PSUs are going to become more common, and BTX is still a failure.

That's all I can think of, and it sounds like a lot. I don't feel like talking anymore; now I feel like sleeping. I hope I answered your question...

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006

Vista runs fine on old Socket 478 P4's. DX10 isn't going to be absolutely necessary for at least a year or two anyway.

biohazard420420

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Frankly it is stupid to buy a new microsoft os within a couple of years of its release. The way I have always done it is just wait until some program you want to run will only run on vista then upgrade but you will have many years before that happens, since there are alot of XP boxes and unless you are obsessed with DX10 there is NO reason to move to Vista anyways. Most all games coming out after vista will still support XP as will 99.9% of new programs. So IMO it is not worth the move to a whole new os anytimwe in the near future. Besides with DX9 and the new DX10 cards coming out you will have amazing preformance in most all DX9 games where you can run at huge res and max everything with buttery smooth frame rates. And I would think IMO that the new DX10 games would run faster on DX9 since you dont have the extra eye candy stuff to deal with but I could be totally wrong there since I dont program games and couldn't tell you how the instructions are processed within code.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Frankly it is stupid to buy a new microsoft os within a couple of years of its release. The way I have always done it is just wait until some program you want to run will only run on vista then upgrade but you will have many years before that happens, since there are alot of XP boxes and unless you are obsessed with DX10 there is NO reason to move to Vista anyways. Most all games coming out after vista will still support XP as will 99.9% of new programs. So IMO it is not worth the move to a whole new os anytimwe in the near future. Besides with DX9 and the new DX10 cards coming out you will have amazing preformance in most all DX9 games where you can run at huge res and max everything with buttery smooth frame rates. And I would think IMO that the new DX10 games would run faster on DX9 since you dont have the extra eye candy stuff to deal with but I could be totally wrong there since I dont program games and couldn't tell you how the instructions are processed within code.

The thing is unlike hardware the OS will never really fall in price. If you're going to get Vista eventually you might as well get it as soon as most of the bugs are ironed out. After all if you're going to get an OS you might as well install it on a spare hard drive and get used to it before you're practically forced to use it so when you do need to use it you're not still learning where things are.

I'm going to download the Vista RC1 and use it until it expires and then get Vista. At some point I'm going to be forced to use it so why not dip my toes in the water first?

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
where is my free conroe?

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
You sir are a jerk and at the very least send me an E6300 $190 on newegg.
While I'm waiting for this to arrive.
I'm personally waiting until February.
Why? Because I currently have a laptop.
I'll be moving 3-5 times before then.
Also I'll be travelling for 5 weeks in 4 countries.
Therefore building a pricy desktop now is pointless for me.
Ask yourself.
Do I need a new computer now?
If answer is no go to next question. If answer is yes buy.
Do I really want a computer now.
If answer is yes go to next question, if answer is no wait for February.
Can I wait till february?
If answer yes wait, if answer no buy.

Any Questions?

Regarding whomever brought it up.
Yes I hit enter after every phrase/line.
I primarily write things in notepad.
Most of what I write is poetry/songs so it's a bad habit of mine to not write in paragraph form.

biohazard420420

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006

The thing is unlike hardware the OS will never really fall in price. If you're going to get Vista eventually you might as well get it as soon as most of the bugs are ironed out. After all if you're going to get an OS you might as well install it on a spare hard drive and get used to it before you're practically forced to use it so when you do need to use it you're not still learning where things are.

I'm going to download the Vista RC1 and use it until it expires and then get Vista. At some point I'm going to be forced to use it so why not dip my toes in the water first?

There is nothing wrong at all with that what bugs me is alot of people saying oh you NEED vista or you NEED DX10 which for the vast majority of people is wrong. Yes there are people who want the latest and greatest and frankly if you buy a per built system around the first of the year it will probally have Vista on it. As far as the cost of a new OS it is always going to be high there is no getting around but there is also no need to get a new one right when it comes out. I agree you should wait till alot of the bugs are worked out but IMO I only move to a new OS when I have no other choice. Like my move from 98 to XP I only moved because 98 was crashing so often it destroyed my harddrive from many many many hard resets, and the move to xp was not that long ago as a matter of fact just before SP2 came out. XP is a good OS for a microsoft product yes it has its faults and problems but in my experience it has been very stable and worked well although I do need to do a reinstall since I have been running the same install for about 3 years or so and it is getting sluggish. I just dont see the need to be getting the latest and greatest all the time mainly becauce I dont have the cash for that but also if what you have works just fine there is NO need to upgrade to better stuff. Frankly the vast majoirty of non enthusiasts and gamers can work just fine on an old computer with say a 1 or 2 GHz Intel or AMD chip and a gig or so of ram. People just fall prey to the you need this or you need that when in reality you don't need it to get what you want out of your PC. Again this doesn't apply to gamers, etc. since they want the latest and greatest by and large.