HD performance & capacity

Hello all,

I've hunted around for a clear answer to my questions, but to no avail,
so I'm going to ask here. I hope this is the right place. I will also
be opening myself up to enormous amounts of ridicule, but I can handle
that. Here goes:

Does the performance of a hard drive decrease as it becomes fuller? I
have a SATA 35 GB 10,000rpm Western Digital HD as a boot drive (NTFS)
and an external USB 2.0 200 GB HD as storage. The 200 GB one is slowly
dying a death so I thought I'd put the essential files I need to keep
on the Western Digital HD. It now has about 50% of the space used. Is
this likely to impinge on the performance of the computer at all?

Secondly, when I get a new 'storage' HD (any recommendations for a
reliable 200+ GB HD welcome...), would there be any significant
performance loss by putting this new HD in the PC case and linking it
into the unused SATA connector rather than having it as an external box
running through USB 2.0?

As you can no-doubt tell, I know ah heck-all about these things, and any
help would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Roger Melly.
--
conkersack
yahoo

dl

External:- Firewire has greater performance than USB
Internal has better performance than either.
Performance in the Lab is different to real use performance, you are
extreamly unlikely to notice any loss of performance as a hd capacity is
used
Buy a second sata disk, install internally.
Some manu give longer warranty, up to 3 years

<conkersack@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I've hunted around for a clear answer to my questions, but to no avail,
> so I'm going to ask here. I hope this is the right place. I will also
> be opening myself up to enormous amounts of ridicule, but I can handle
> that. Here goes:
>
> Does the performance of a hard drive decrease as it becomes fuller? I
> have a SATA 35 GB 10,000rpm Western Digital HD as a boot drive (NTFS)
> and an external USB 2.0 200 GB HD as storage. The 200 GB one is slowly
> dying a death so I thought I'd put the essential files I need to keep
> on the Western Digital HD. It now has about 50% of the space used. Is
> this likely to impinge on the performance of the computer at all?
>
> Secondly, when I get a new 'storage' HD (any recommendations for a
> reliable 200+ GB HD welcome...), would there be any significant
> performance loss by putting this new HD in the PC case and linking it
> into the unused SATA connector rather than having it as an external box
> running through USB 2.0?
>
> As you can no-doubt tell, I know ah heck-all about these things, and any
> help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Roger Melly.
> --
> conkersack
> yahoo
> com

> Buy a second sata disk, install internally.

Cheers mate, will do.