Spire - Frequency Lock Puzzle

Last response: in Video Games
October 18, 2004 9:44:06 PM

I'm currently stuck on this puzzle. You have to get all 4 crystals vibrating
at the same time (which I have, multiple times) to get the bridge to raise
so I can get to Sirrus' Bomb Factory. Every time all 4 crystals are going,
nothing happens & everything is set correctly. I'm just curious if this is a
"bug" or something. It is really aggravating. The gears in the lower chamber
are also set correctly. What drives me nuts is the layout of the control
panel, plus the mouse is sluggish. It has movement echoes.

Any help would be 'preciated..
Thanx
Scott
October 19, 2004 1:14:49 AM

"Scott Ware" <ScottWare@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I'm currently stuck on this puzzle. You have to get all 4 crystals
vibrating
> at the same time (which I have, multiple times) to get the bridge to raise
> so I can get to Sirrus' Bomb Factory. Every time all 4 crystals are going,
> nothing happens & everything is set correctly. I'm just curious if this is
> "bug" or something. It is really aggravating. The gears in the lower
chamber
> are also set correctly. What drives me nuts is the layout of the control
> panel, plus the mouse is sluggish. It has movement echoes.
>
> Any help would be 'preciated..
> Thanx
> Scott

This is a timed puzzle.
You need to set them vibrating in a particular order within a certain time.
Nick.
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 3:15:58 AM

Scott Ware wrote:
> I'm currently stuck on this puzzle. You have to get all 4 crystals vibrating
> at the same time (which I have, multiple times) to get the bridge to raise
> so I can get to Sirrus' Bomb Factory. Every time all 4 crystals are going,
> nothing happens & everything is set correctly. I'm just curious if this is a
> "bug" or something. It is really aggravating. The gears in the lower chamber
> are also set correctly. What drives me nuts is the layout of the control
> panel, plus the mouse is sluggish. It has movement echoes.

If you've done it correctly once, perhaps you just didn't notice what
happened. Have you tried pushing the button to get out of the chair?
October 19, 2004 3:15:59 AM

I knew that the gear initial setting was 1. When I try to remove the control
panel, everything dims, the panel tries to go up, but to no avail.
"David Glover" <usenet@davidglover.org> wrote in message
> Scott Ware wrote:
>> I'm currently stuck on this puzzle. You have to get all 4 crystals
>> vibrating at the same time (which I have, multiple times) to get the
>> bridge to raise so I can get to Sirrus' Bomb Factory. Every time all 4
>> crystals are going, nothing happens & everything is set correctly. I'm
>> just curious if this is a "bug" or something. It is really aggravating.
>> The gears in the lower chamber are also set correctly. What drives me
>> nuts is the layout of the control panel, plus the mouse is sluggish. It
>> has movement echoes.
>
> If you've done it correctly once, perhaps you just didn't notice what
> happened. Have you tried pushing the button to get out of the chair?
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 8:13:47 AM

Finally figured it out!!! It wasn't the game at all. I found out that Myst
IV is not recommended to play if you have a cordless mouse. Without one, the
mouse "echo" is gone (where you'll move the mouse then move it a different
direction, then about a second later will mimick the motion) I just attached
an optical mouse (corded) and solved the frequency puzzle on the first
shot!!

There ya go!!
Scott
"Scott Ware" <ScottWare@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I'm currently stuck on this puzzle. You have to get all 4 crystals
> vibrating at the same time (which I have, multiple times) to get the
> bridge to raise so I can get to Sirrus' Bomb Factory. Every time all 4
> crystals are going, nothing happens & everything is set correctly. I'm
> just curious if this is a "bug" or something. It is really aggravating.
> The gears in the lower chamber are also set correctly. What drives me nuts
> is the layout of the control panel, plus the mouse is sluggish. It has
> movement echoes.
>
> Any help would be 'preciated..
> Thanx
> Scott

October 19, 2004 5:35:51 PM

Scott Ware wrote:
> Finally figured it out!!! It wasn't the game at all. I found out that Myst
> IV is not recommended to play if you have a cordless mouse. Without one, the
> mouse "echo" is gone (where you'll move the mouse then move it a different
> direction, then about a second later will mimick the motion) I just attached
> an optical mouse (corded) and solved the frequency puzzle on the first
> shot!!
>
> There ya go!!
> Scott
> "Scott Ware" <ScottWare@verizon.net> wrote in message
>
>>I'm currently stuck on this puzzle. You have to get all 4 crystals
>>vibrating at the same time (which I have, multiple times) to get the
>>bridge to raise so I can get to Sirrus' Bomb Factory. Every time all 4
>>crystals are going, nothing happens & everything is set correctly. I'm
>>just curious if this is a "bug" or something. It is really aggravating.
>>The gears in the lower chamber are also set correctly. What drives me nuts
>>is the layout of the control panel, plus the mouse is sluggish. It has
>>movement echoes.
>>
>>Any help would be 'preciated..
>>Thanx
>>Scott

Huh, I have a cordless mouse and solved it without a problem.
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 7:53:45 PM

How could the mouse possibly make a difference?

> Finally figured it out!!! It wasn't the game at all. I found out that Myst
> IV is not recommended to play if you have a cordless mouse. Without one,
the
> mouse "echo" is gone (where you'll move the mouse then move it a different
> direction, then about a second later will mimick the motion) I just
attached
> an optical mouse (corded) and solved the frequency puzzle on the first
> shot!!
>
> There ya go!!
> Scott
> "Scott Ware" <ScottWare@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > I'm currently stuck on this puzzle. You have to get all 4 crystals
> > vibrating at the same time (which I have, multiple times) to get the
> > bridge to raise so I can get to Sirrus' Bomb Factory. Every time all 4
> > crystals are going, nothing happens & everything is set correctly. I'm
> > just curious if this is a "bug" or something. It is really aggravating.
> > The gears in the lower chamber are also set correctly. What drives me
nuts
> > is the layout of the control panel, plus the mouse is sluggish. It has
> > movement echoes.
> >
> > Any help would be 'preciated..
> > Thanx
> > Scott

Anonymous
October 19, 2004 8:04:32 PM

I actually have no idea, but I have 2 cordless mice, they both had the bad
echo, I then used an optical corded mouse, with no problem, so I guess I
must've been my system. Or some fluke.

Either way, I don't think it really makes a difference, since I'm long past
this puzzle and into Serenia.
"Terry Fields" <leftds@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
news:D Madd.15982$nj.2957@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> How could the mouse possibly make a difference?
>

> "Scott Ware" <ScottWare@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Finally figured it out!!! It wasn't the game at all. I found out that
>> Myst
>> IV is not recommended to play if you have a cordless mouse. Without one,
> the
>> mouse "echo" is gone (where you'll move the mouse then move it a
>> different
>> direction, then about a second later will mimick the motion) I just
> attached
>> an optical mouse (corded) and solved the frequency puzzle on the first
>> shot!!
>>
>> There ya go!!
>> Scott
>> "Scott Ware" <ScottWare@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> > I'm currently stuck on this puzzle. You have to get all 4 crystals
>> > vibrating at the same time (which I have, multiple times) to get the
>> > bridge to raise so I can get to Sirrus' Bomb Factory. Every time all 4
>> > crystals are going, nothing happens & everything is set correctly. I'm
>> > just curious if this is a "bug" or something. It is really aggravating.
>> > The gears in the lower chamber are also set correctly. What drives me
> nuts
>> > is the layout of the control panel, plus the mouse is sluggish. It has
>> > movement echoes.
>> >
>> > Any help would be 'preciated..
>> > Thanx
>> > Scott

Anonymous
October 26, 2004 4:01:40 PM

Someone has to help a newbie!

When I'm sitting in the chair(throne) in Spire and I set the - let's say the
first crystal to 6,12,4 should I actually see something - say a movement
made from the top left locked crystal. I'm hopelessly stalled at this
juncture and for the life of me cannot seem to set all four crystals
correctly or in the required time! I'm certain of all movements up to this
point.

"Scott Ware" <ScottWare@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I'm currently stuck on this puzzle. You have to get all 4 crystals
> vibrating at the same time (which I have, multiple times) to get the
> bridge to raise so I can get to Sirrus' Bomb Factory. Every time all 4
> crystals are going, nothing happens & everything is set correctly. I'm
> just curious if this is a "bug" or something. It is really aggravating.
> The gears in the lower chamber are also set correctly. What drives me nuts
> is the layout of the control panel, plus the mouse is sluggish. It has
> movement echoes.
>
> Any help would be 'preciated..
> Thanx
> Scott

Anonymous
October 26, 2004 11:20:32 PM

If the crystals are not moving at the correct frequency, then you have to
adjust the gear cogs at the bottom level to the right settings before the
crystal will "react" as they should. Gear 1 should be set at 3 or 4, Gear 2,
3 or 4, Gear 3 should be set at 7.Gears 1 & 2 are opposite, so if 1 is set
to 3 then 2 should be set to 4 or vice versa. Once they are properly set,
then the crystals will work normally.

Scott
"jimrx4" <jimrx4@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Someone has to help a newbie!
>
> When I'm sitting in the chair(throne) in Spire and I set the - let's say
> the first crystal to 6,12,4 should I actually see something - say a
> movement made from the top left locked crystal. I'm hopelessly stalled at
> this juncture and for the life of me cannot seem to set all four crystals
> correctly or in the required time! I'm certain of all movements up to this
> point.
>

> "Scott Ware" <ScottWare@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> I'm currently stuck on this puzzle. You have to get all 4 crystals
>> vibrating at the same time (which I have, multiple times) to get the
>> bridge to raise so I can get to Sirrus' Bomb Factory. Every time all 4
>> crystals are going, nothing happens & everything is set correctly. I'm
>> just curious if this is a "bug" or something. It is really aggravating.
>> The gears in the lower chamber are also set correctly. What drives me
>> nuts is the layout of the control panel, plus the mouse is sluggish. It
>> has movement echoes.
>>
>> Any help would be 'preciated..
>> Thanx
>> Scott

October 27, 2004 1:35:11 AM

Spoilers below

"jimrx4" <jimrx4@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Someone has to help a newbie!
>
> When I'm sitting in the chair(throne) in Spire and I set the - let's say
the
> first crystal to 6,12,4 should I actually see something - say a movement
> made from the top left locked crystal. I'm hopelessly stalled at this
> juncture and for the life of me cannot seem to set all four crystals
> correctly or in the required time! I'm certain of all movements up to this
> point.

Firstly, you must set the series of gears below otherwise this puzzle will
not work. If you have done this, you should see the crystal "rattle" if you
have set the sliders correctly. You have to find another three sets of
settings and make all the crystals rattle in a period of time before they
reset themselves. It can be done and requires some nifty mouse work, but
there is little room for error. You will know when its been done.

Graham
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 6:24:21 PM

Thanks. I also had 2 other things wrong. All is solved. Very tough puzzle
for these arthritic hands.

!