Have a Win 2K SP4 computer that was not booting. Did a lot of playing around
with it including running the repair option from setup. The system is now
back up and running, but I cant access the encrypted files. I had previously
exported the encryption certificate (pfx file). When I re-import it says
that the import was successful, but the certificates list is still blank.

If I try to open a encrypted document I get a message that I don't have
access privileges. If try to change the encryption attributes of the file I
get an "access denied" error.

The user that encrypted the documents is an administrator. I have also tried
logging in as administrator, but can't access the files. File permissions
are set to "full control" for all users.

There are some events in the system log Event ID 6022 - EFS "Cannot
Create\Open EFSCACHE directory"

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

MORE INFO:

I finally got the certificate to import. I now see "issued to" and the
correct name of the user log on user. The certificate info looks correct. I
am still unable to decrypt/open my files.

"Jack B. Pollack" <N@NE.nothing> wrote in message
> Have a Win 2K SP4 computer that was not booting. Did a lot of playing
around
> with it including running the repair option from setup. The system is now
> back up and running, but I cant access the encrypted files. I had
previously
> exported the encryption certificate (pfx file). When I re-import it says
> that the import was successful, but the certificates list is still blank.
>
> If I try to open a encrypted document I get a message that I don't have
> access privileges. If try to change the encryption attributes of the file
> get an "access denied" error.
>
> The user that encrypted the documents is an administrator. I have also
tried
> logging in as administrator, but can't access the files. File permissions
> are set to "full control" for all users.
>
> There are some events in the system log Event ID 6022 - EFS "Cannot
> Create\Open EFSCACHE directory"
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Barry

do you have the private key for that certificate?

> MORE INFO:
>
> I finally got the certificate to import. I now see "issued to" and the
> correct name of the user log on user. The certificate info looks correct.
> am still unable to decrypt/open my files.
>

> "Jack B. Pollack" <N@NE.nothing> wrote in message
>> Have a Win 2K SP4 computer that was not booting. Did a lot of playing
> around
>> with it including running the repair option from setup. The system is now
>> back up and running, but I cant access the encrypted files. I had
> previously
>> exported the encryption certificate (pfx file). When I re-import it says
>> that the import was successful, but the certificates list is still blank.
>>
>> If I try to open a encrypted document I get a message that I don't have
>> access privileges. If try to change the encryption attributes of the file
>> get an "access denied" error.
>>
>> The user that encrypted the documents is an administrator. I have also
> tried
>> logging in as administrator, but can't access the files. File permissions
>> are set to "full control" for all users.
>>
>> There are some events in the system log Event ID 6022 - EFS "Cannot
>> Create\Open EFSCACHE directory"
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks

I am not sure what the private key is (file, code, etc.) The only thing I
have is the exported PFX file, user password & admin password.

Thanks

"Barry" <spamiittyspam@spammy.spam> wrote in message
> do you have the private key for that certificate?
>

> "Jack B. Pollack" <N@NE.nothing> wrote in message
> > MORE INFO:
> >
> > I finally got the certificate to import. I now see "issued to" and the
> > correct name of the user log on user. The certificate info looks
correct.
> > am still unable to decrypt/open my files.
> >

> > "Jack B. Pollack" <N@NE.nothing> wrote in message
> >> Have a Win 2K SP4 computer that was not booting. Did a lot of playing
> > around
> >> with it including running the repair option from setup. The system is
now
> >> back up and running, but I cant access the encrypted files. I had
> > previously
> >> exported the encryption certificate (pfx file). When I re-import it
says
> >> that the import was successful, but the certificates list is still
blank.

> >> If I try to open a encrypted document I get a message that I don't have
> >> access privileges. If try to change the encryption attributes of the
file
> >> get an "access denied" error.
> >>
> >> The user that encrypted the documents is an administrator. I have also
> > tried
> >> logging in as administrator, but can't access the files. File
permissions
> >> are set to "full control" for all users.
> >>
> >> There are some events in the system log Event ID 6022 - EFS "Cannot
> >> Create\Open EFSCACHE directory"
> >>
> >> Any help would be appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks

Barry

if you find the certificate in cert manager and open it, towards the bottom
of that screen under the valid from/to info, it will say "You have a private
key that corresponds to this certifcate". thats whats needed to decrypt
information.

> I am not sure what the private key is (file, code, etc.) The only thing I
> have is the exported PFX file, user password & admin password.
>
> Thanks
>

> "Barry" <spamiittyspam@spammy.spam> wrote in message
>> do you have the private key for that certificate?
>>

>> "Jack B. Pollack" <N@NE.nothing> wrote in message
>> > MORE INFO:
>> >
>> > I finally got the certificate to import. I now see "issued to" and the
>> > correct name of the user log on user. The certificate info looks
> correct.
>> > am still unable to decrypt/open my files.
>> >

>> > "Jack B. Pollack" <N@NE.nothing> wrote in message
>> > around
> now
>> > previously