In the mad and crazy world of home computing . . . (ShowFo..

Greeting all,
I have this crazy file hanging around my hard drive. (NTFS Windows 2000
box.) The name of it is “ShowFolder[1].” - it is of size zero. I undertook a
google search and learned a little. i.e. The file originated in a temporary
Internet cache. However, in my case, the file in question is not in a
temporary internet folder. Instead, my problem file is in a temp folder
(made by me for containment purposes) on the root of my C: drive.

History: I’m not sure how the file got to my root. It may be that I was
trying to “capture” a file out of the Internet cache, and make a temporary
folder on my root to containing a copy of the Internet cache. - Something I
could have done while I searched-and-deleted wily-nilly in an effort to find
the file I was looking for. Or it may be that I made a backup of my User,
and that I did a “restore” to a temporary location to pick-and-placed what I
was looking for and was then unable to completely delete what remained.
Either way, I now have this undeletable file hanging around in a folder on
the root of my C: drive.

Question:
What do I do to get rid of this file so I can clear away that folder and
feel that I have gotten back to normal?

Thanks all,

- Stan Shankman

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:%23jOV36rnFHA.764@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Stan Shankman <stantheman@visi.com> had this to say:

> Greeting all,
> I have this crazy file hanging around my hard drive. (NTFS Windows
> 2000 box.) The name of it is "ShowFolder[1]." - it is of size zero. I
> undertook a google search and learned a little. i.e. The file
> originated in a temporary Internet cache. However, in my case, the
> file in question is not in a temporary internet folder. Instead, my
> problem file is in a temp folder (made by me for containment
> purposes) on the root of my C: drive.
>
> History: I'm not sure how the file got to my root. It may be that I
> was trying to "capture" a file out of the Internet cache, and make a
> temporary folder on my root to containing a copy of the Internet
> cache. - Something I could have done while I searched-and-deleted
> wily-nilly in an effort to find the file I was looking for. Or it may
> be that I made a backup of my User, and that I did a "restore" to a
> temporary location to pick-and-placed what I was looking for and was
> then unable to completely delete what remained. Either way, I now
> have this undeletable file hanging around in a folder on the root of
> my C: drive.
>
> Question:
> What do I do to get rid of this file so I can clear away that folder
> and feel that I have gotten back to normal?
>
> Thanks all,
>
> - Stan Shankman

If worse comes to worse delete it in DOS...

NTFS4DOS:
http://www.datapol.de/dpe/freeware/

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

Galen,
What do me by "in DOS"?
If by that you mean 'using the command prompt', then I have already tried
that.
But be advised that I am equally interested in learning *why* this file is
undeletable as I am in actually deleting it.
So, if anyone has any information about this undeletable file, and how to go
about deleting it in a sensible manner, then please, let us all know.
Thanks,
- Stan Shankman

> In news:%23jOV36rnFHA.764@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Stan Shankman <stantheman@visi.com> had this to say:

> > Greeting all,
> > I have this crazy file hanging around my hard drive. (NTFS Windows
> > 2000 box.) The name of it is "ShowFolder[1]." - it is of size zero. I
> > undertook a google search and learned a little. i.e. The file
> > originated in a temporary Internet cache. However, in my case, the
> > file in question is not in a temporary internet folder. Instead, my
> > problem file is in a temp folder (made by me for containment
> > purposes) on the root of my C: drive.
> >
> > History: I'm not sure how the file got to my root. It may be that I
> > was trying to "capture" a file out of the Internet cache, and make a
> > temporary folder on my root to containing a copy of the Internet
> > cache. - Something I could have done while I searched-and-deleted
> > wily-nilly in an effort to find the file I was looking for. Or it may
> > be that I made a backup of my User, and that I did a "restore" to a
> > temporary location to pick-and-placed what I was looking for and was
> > then unable to completely delete what remained. Either way, I now
> > have this undeletable file hanging around in a folder on the root of
> > my C: drive.
> >
> > Question:
> > What do I do to get rid of this file so I can clear away that folder
> > and feel that I have gotten back to normal?
> >
> > Thanks all,
> >
> > - Stan Shankman
>

> If worse comes to worse delete it in DOS...
>
> NTFS4DOS:
> http://www.datapol.de/dpe/freeware/
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
> without them."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:eTIvHgwnFHA.1468@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Stan Shankman <stantheman@visi.com> had this to say:

> Galen,
> What do me by "in DOS"?
> If by that you mean 'using the command prompt', then I have already
> tried that.
> But be advised that I am equally interested in learning *why* this
> file is undeletable as I am in actually deleting it.
> So, if anyone has any information about this undeletable file, and
> how to go about deleting it in a sensible manner, then please, let us
> all know. Thanks,
> - Stan Shankman
>
> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> In news:%23jOV36rnFHA.764@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
>> Stan Shankman <stantheman@visi.com> had this to say:

>>> Greeting all,
>>> I have this crazy file hanging around my hard drive. (NTFS Windows
>>> 2000 box.) The name of it is "ShowFolder[1]." - it is of size zero.
>>> I undertook a google search and learned a little. i.e. The file
>>> originated in a temporary Internet cache. However, in my case, the
>>> file in question is not in a temporary internet folder. Instead, my
>>> problem file is in a temp folder (made by me for containment
>>> purposes) on the root of my C: drive.
>>>
>>> History: I'm not sure how the file got to my root. It may be that I
>>> was trying to "capture" a file out of the Internet cache, and make a
>>> temporary folder on my root to containing a copy of the Internet
>>> cache. - Something I could have done while I searched-and-deleted
>>> wily-nilly in an effort to find the file I was looking for. Or it
>>> may be that I made a backup of my User, and that I did a "restore"
>>> to a temporary location to pick-and-placed what I was looking for
>>> and was then unable to completely delete what remained. Either way,
>>> I now have this undeletable file hanging around in a folder on the
>>> root of my C: drive.
>>>
>>> Question:
>>> What do I do to get rid of this file so I can clear away that folder
>>> and feel that I have gotten back to normal?
>>>
>>> Thanks all,
>>>
>>> - Stan Shankman
>>

>> If worse comes to worse delete it in DOS...
>>
>> NTFS4DOS:
>> http://www.datapol.de/dpe/freeware/
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>>
>> "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
>> without them."
>>
>> Sherlock Holmes

Boot with the above diskette which will allow you to access the NTFS
formated hard drive. If the disk is formatted FATxx (say FAT32) then you
will not need the disk and any handy startup disk will do. You can download
a boot disk at www.bootdisk.com if you do not have one handy. Basically
you'll insert the disk then boot. When you reach the A: prompt you'll change
to C: then you'll dig down into it using standard DOS commands. (eg. cd to
change directory etc)

Why? Because something seems to have a lock on it. While Windows is running
it's going to be quite difficult to delete it because the lock is still in
place. You can use the command prompt from inside the OS until you're blue
in the face and it's likely not going to do you any good if the file is
locked by another running process. It will need to be removed from outside
of the OS. Thus the above tool because if you're using 2k you *should* also
be using NTFS for the additional features.

If this is too much work then you can try this:

http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html

See also this link though it's for XP it's easily applicable to 2k.

Can't delete files tutorial:
http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/howto-delete-xp.html

The application might allow you to delete it that way, if not then you'll
have to do it the way I first mentioned. The reason I mention the option for
NTFS4DOS first is because I know it will work as opposed to Move On Boot not
always working.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

Well, guess what?

I tried those things, and neither would remove the file.

> [...]
also
> be using NTFS for the additional features.
>
> If this is too much work then you can try this:
>
> http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html
>
> See also this link though it's for XP it's easily applicable to 2k.
>
> Can't delete files tutorial:
> http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/howto-delete-xp.html
>
> The application might allow you to delete it that way, if not then you'll
> have to do it the way I first mentioned. The reason I mention the option
for
> NTFS4DOS first is because I know it will work as opposed to Move On Boot
not
> always working.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:e8h$4V3nFHA.3828@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Stan Shankman <stantheman@visi.com> had this to say:

> Well, guess what?
>
> I tried those things, and neither would remove the file.
<snip>

Well then you've gots a problem... If those don't take care of it and
(missed an obvious one) you can't delete it if you log on as a different
user then your options are limited. One of them is expensive - you can try
the Admin Pak from Winternals at about $1000 dollars. It's what many larger
enterprises use but you're a home user and I don't think you can justify
those expenses.

Another option is Bart's PE. That will enable you to boot to CD/DVD and work
from outside the OS with a handy GUI.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Finally, if you have some urge to do so, you can try Knoppix... (I'm not
really making this stuff up you know.)

KNOPPIX Linux Live CD:
http://www.knoppix.org/

It's kind of strange recommending that you use Linux to fix Windows but,
well, your case is worse than most of the ones we see or this would have
already been cleared up with the earlier mentioned tools. Anyhow the bottom
two are free. You did check permissions, try resetting them with NTFS4DOS
with the attribute command, etc? Beyond this I don't know what to tell you.
You can try checking with Process Explorer and maybe find out what's taking
away the access.

Sysinternals Freeware - Process Explorer:
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

I think I've covered about all the available options for you or a variation
of the known fixes for this. Beyond this one I have only hard options like
Kixtart scripting to delete it on boot... That might not even work as move
on boot didn't do the trick either.

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes

Hi, Stan.

Can you move everything except that file out of that folder so that it is
there all by itself, then delete the folder and all its contents? That
often works, so it's worth a try.

Once you have nothing you want to keep in that folder, just open a "DOS"
window and type the Remove Directory command with the /s switch, which
removes all subdirectories and files, as well as the named parent folder:

rd <foldername> /s

It should ask "Are you sure?", so just answer Yes. As usual in a "DOS"
window, type the command, followed by " /?", to see a mini-help file showing
the switches available with it: rd /?

If it doesn't work, post back with exactly what you did and what results you
saw. "I tried it" or "I tried everything" doesn't tell us enough, and
neither does a simple "didn't work".

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
> Hi, Stan.

R.C - thanks for the post back. Sorry for the delay, I have been away.

> Can you move everything except that file out of that folder so that it is
> there all by itself, then delete the folder and all its contents? That
> often works, so it's worth a try.

Yes, I have the mystery file sitting alone in a folder (called "junk") the
folder is on the root of my C: drive. I can change the name of the folder; I
can move the mystery file from folder to folder. But I can not rid myself of
it no matter where it goes.

> Once you have nothing you want to keep in that folder, just open a "DOS"
> window and type the Remove Directory command with the /s switch, which
> removes all subdirectories and files, as well as the named parent folder:
>
> rd <foldername> /s
>
> It should ask "Are you sure?", so just answer Yes. As usual in a "DOS"
> window, type the command, followed by " /?", to see a mini-help file
showing
> the switches available with it: rd /?

I have opened a DOS window. I have even tried 'Delete on Boot". But, when
using a DOS window, (and your not going to believe this) whatever folder I
put it in does not show up during a DOS directory search! I have checked
properties on the folder in question, and have place 'full control' on every
available possible user. Still, I can not see the folder in a DOS directory
search! Very Strange. - Have you searched for "ShowFolder[1]." on google
groups? There is mention of the problem, but I have yet to find anyone who
has spoken with authority about the problem, the file's origin, or how to
deal with it.

> If it doesn't work, post back with exactly what you did and what results
you
> saw. "I tried it" or "I tried everything" doesn't tell us enough, and
> neither does a simple "didn't work".
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Stan Shankman" <stantheman@visi.com> wrote in message
> > Greeting all,
> > I have this crazy file hanging around my hard drive. (NTFS Windows 2000
> > box.) The name of it is "ShowFolder[1]." - it is of size zero. I
undertook
> > google search and learned a little. i.e. The file originated in a
> > temporary
> > Internet cache. However, in my case, the file in question is not in a
> > temporary internet folder. Instead, my problem file is in a temp folder
> > (made by me for containment purposes) on the root of my C: drive.
> >
> > History: I'm not sure how the file got to my root. It may be that I was
> > trying to "capture" a file out of the Internet cache, and make a
temporary
> > folder on my root to containing a copy of the Internet cache. -
Something
> > could have done while I searched-and-deleted wily-nilly in an effort to
> > find
> > the file I was looking for. Or it may be that I made a backup of my
User,
> > and that I did a "restore" to a temporary location to pick-and-placed
what
> > was looking for and was then unable to completely delete what remained.
> > Either way, I now have this undeletable file hanging around in a folder
on
> > the root of my C: drive.
> >
> > Question:
> > What do I do to get rid of this file so I can clear away that folder and
> > feel that I have gotten back to normal?
> >
> > Thanks all,
> >
> > - Stan Shankman

Hi, Stan.

I agree that sounds weird. The Google search mostly turned up THIS thread.
:>(

You didn't explicitly say, so I'll ask:

In the "DOS" window, did you use the Dir /a and Dir /x switches? As you
probably know, /a shows ALL files, including those with Hidden or System
attributes. When I want to see EVERY file in a volume, I use Dir /s/a to
see all files in all subdirectories. I've not yet known of a file that can
hide from that command. (I add /p when there are too many; this pauses
after each page.) Dir /x shows the SFN (Short File Name, also known as an
8.3 filename) for every LFN that does not qualify under the 8.3 rules. Even
a very short filename can be a Long File Name if it includes a space or
other character not allowed in an 8.3 filename.

The command you used was:

dir C:\junk /s

Right?

What message - exactly - did you get back?

Another possibility is to create a parallel install of Win2K/XP, then boot
into that installation and delete the rogue file from there. When booted
into the second copy of Windows, all the files that your original Win2K sees
as "special" are "just another file" to that second Windows. You would need
a second volume (primary partition or logical drive in an extended
partition) for that installation, either on the same HD or on a second HD.
Many users, including myself, consider a "dual-boot" setup very worthwhile.
It comes in handy for many repair functions - like this one. Microsoft
tells how to do a parallel install in the Windows XP Pro Resource Kit; you
can read the online version here:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmc_str_jyof.asp

A more radical (but maybe quicker) version of the same solution is to take
your physical HD out of your computer and mount it temporarily in another
computer running Win2K/XP. That depends on how determined you are to get
rid of that file, how much hardware you have available and how adept you are
at such tasks.

RC
--

> [...]
>> > trying to "capture" a file out of the Internet cache, and make a
> temporary
>> > folder on my root to containing a copy of the Internet cache. -
> Something
>> > could have done while I searched-and-deleted wily-nilly in an effort to
>> > find
>> > the file I was looking for. Or it may be that I made a backup of my
> User,
>> > and that I did a "restore" to a temporary location to pick-and-placed
> what
>> > was looking for and was then unable to completely delete what remained.
>> > Either way, I now have this undeletable file hanging around in a folder
> on
>> > the root of my C: drive.
>> >
>> > Question:
>> > What do I do to get rid of this file so I can clear away that folder

Whoops!

> dir C:\junk /s

Should be:

RD c:\junk /s

of course. :^{

By the way, as you might have noticed, those Temporary Internet Files are
WEIRD! They don't follow "normal" rules at all. Ask for a directory of one
and you'll likely see all the files in all of the four related folders (with
program-generated names) in Content.IE5. If you MUST mess with these files,
use Internet Explorer's Tools | Internet Options... | General tab.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX