In the mad and crazy world of home computing . . . (ShowFo..

Greeting all,
I have this crazy file hanging around my hard drive. (NTFS Windows 2000
box.) The name of it is “ShowFolder[1].” - it is of size zero. I undertook a
google search and learned a little. i.e. The file originated in a temporary
Internet cache. However, in my case, the file in question is not in a
temporary internet folder. Instead, my problem file is in a temp folder
(made by me for containment purposes) on the root of my C: drive.

History: I’m not sure how the file got to my root. It may be that I was
trying to “capture” a file out of the Internet cache, and make a temporary
folder on my root to containing a copy of the Internet cache. - Something I
could have done while I searched-and-deleted wily-nilly in an effort to find
the file I was looking for. Or it may be that I made a backup of my User,
and that I did a “restore” to a temporary location to pick-and-placed what I
was looking for and was then unable to completely delete what remained.
Either way, I now have this undeletable file hanging around in a folder on
the root of my C: drive.

Question:
What do I do to get rid of this file so I can clear away that folder and
feel that I have gotten back to normal?

Thanks all,

- Stan Shankman
9 answers Last reply
More about crazy world home computing showfo

    In news:%23jOV36rnFHA.764@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Stan Shankman <stantheman@visi.com> had this to say:

    > Greeting all,
    > I have this crazy file hanging around my hard drive. (NTFS Windows
    > 2000 box.) The name of it is "ShowFolder[1]." - it is of size zero. I
    > undertook a google search and learned a little. i.e. The file
    > originated in a temporary Internet cache. However, in my case, the
    > file in question is not in a temporary internet folder. Instead, my
    > problem file is in a temp folder (made by me for containment
    > purposes) on the root of my C: drive.
    >
    > History: I'm not sure how the file got to my root. It may be that I
    > was trying to "capture" a file out of the Internet cache, and make a
    > temporary folder on my root to containing a copy of the Internet
    > cache. - Something I could have done while I searched-and-deleted
    > wily-nilly in an effort to find the file I was looking for. Or it may
    > be that I made a backup of my User, and that I did a "restore" to a
    > temporary location to pick-and-placed what I was looking for and was
    > then unable to completely delete what remained. Either way, I now
    > have this undeletable file hanging around in a folder on the root of
    > my C: drive.
    >
    > Question:
    > What do I do to get rid of this file so I can clear away that folder
    > and feel that I have gotten back to normal?
    >
    > Thanks all,
    >
    > - Stan Shankman

    If worse comes to worse delete it in DOS...

    NTFS4DOS:
    http://www.datapol.de/dpe/freeware/

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes

    Galen,
    What do me by "in DOS"?
    If by that you mean 'using the command prompt', then I have already tried
    that.
    But be advised that I am equally interested in learning *why* this file is
    undeletable as I am in actually deleting it.
    So, if anyone has any information about this undeletable file, and how to go
    about deleting it in a sensible manner, then please, let us all know.
    Thanks,
    - Stan Shankman

    > In news:%23jOV36rnFHA.764@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > Stan Shankman <stantheman@visi.com> had this to say:

    > > Greeting all,
    > > I have this crazy file hanging around my hard drive. (NTFS Windows
    > > 2000 box.) The name of it is "ShowFolder[1]." - it is of size zero. I
    > > undertook a google search and learned a little. i.e. The file
    > > originated in a temporary Internet cache. However, in my case, the
    > > file in question is not in a temporary internet folder. Instead, my
    > > problem file is in a temp folder (made by me for containment
    > > purposes) on the root of my C: drive.
    > >
    > > History: I'm not sure how the file got to my root. It may be that I
    > > was trying to "capture" a file out of the Internet cache, and make a
    > > temporary folder on my root to containing a copy of the Internet
    > > cache. - Something I could have done while I searched-and-deleted
    > > wily-nilly in an effort to find the file I was looking for. Or it may
    > > be that I made a backup of my User, and that I did a "restore" to a
    > > temporary location to pick-and-placed what I was looking for and was
    > > then unable to completely delete what remained. Either way, I now
    > > have this undeletable file hanging around in a folder on the root of
    > > my C: drive.
    > >
    > > Question:
    > > What do I do to get rid of this file so I can clear away that folder
    > > and feel that I have gotten back to normal?
    > >
    > > Thanks all,
    > >
    > > - Stan Shankman
    >

    > If worse comes to worse delete it in DOS...
    >
    > NTFS4DOS:
    > http://www.datapol.de/dpe/freeware/
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    >
    > "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
    > without them."
    >
    > Sherlock Holmes

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    In news:eTIvHgwnFHA.1468@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Stan Shankman <stantheman@visi.com> had this to say:

    > Galen,
    > What do me by "in DOS"?
    > If by that you mean 'using the command prompt', then I have already
    > tried that.
    > But be advised that I am equally interested in learning *why* this
    > file is undeletable as I am in actually deleting it.
    > So, if anyone has any information about this undeletable file, and
    > how to go about deleting it in a sensible manner, then please, let us
    > all know. Thanks,
    > - Stan Shankman
    >
    > "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> In news:%23jOV36rnFHA.764@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    >> Stan Shankman <stantheman@visi.com> had this to say:

    >>> Greeting all,
    >>> I have this crazy file hanging around my hard drive. (NTFS Windows
    >>> 2000 box.) The name of it is "ShowFolder[1]." - it is of size zero.
    >>> I undertook a google search and learned a little. i.e. The file
    >>> originated in a temporary Internet cache. However, in my case, the
    >>> file in question is not in a temporary internet folder. Instead, my
    >>> problem file is in a temp folder (made by me for containment
    >>> purposes) on the root of my C: drive.
    >>>
    >>> History: I'm not sure how the file got to my root. It may be that I
    >>> was trying to "capture" a file out of the Internet cache, and make a
    >>> temporary folder on my root to containing a copy of the Internet
    >>> cache. - Something I could have done while I searched-and-deleted
    >>> wily-nilly in an effort to find the file I was looking for. Or it
    >>> may be that I made a backup of my User, and that I did a "restore"
    >>> to a temporary location to pick-and-placed what I was looking for
    >>> and was then unable to completely delete what remained. Either way,
    >>> I now have this undeletable file hanging around in a folder on the
    >>> root of my C: drive.
    >>>
    >>> Question:
    >>> What do I do to get rid of this file so I can clear away that folder
    >>> and feel that I have gotten back to normal?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks all,
    >>>
    >>> - Stan Shankman
    >>

    >> If worse comes to worse delete it in DOS...
    >>
    >> NTFS4DOS:
    >> http://www.datapol.de/dpe/freeware/
    >>
    >> Galen
    >> --
    >>
    >> "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
    >> without them."
    >>
    >> Sherlock Holmes

    Boot with the above diskette which will allow you to access the NTFS
    formated hard drive. If the disk is formatted FATxx (say FAT32) then you
    will not need the disk and any handy startup disk will do. You can download
    a boot disk at www.bootdisk.com if you do not have one handy. Basically
    you'll insert the disk then boot. When you reach the A: prompt you'll change
    to C: then you'll dig down into it using standard DOS commands. (eg. cd to
    change directory etc)

    Why? Because something seems to have a lock on it. While Windows is running
    it's going to be quite difficult to delete it because the lock is still in
    place. You can use the command prompt from inside the OS until you're blue
    in the face and it's likely not going to do you any good if the file is
    locked by another running process. It will need to be removed from outside
    of the OS. Thus the above tool because if you're using 2k you *should* also
    be using NTFS for the additional features.

    If this is too much work then you can try this:

    http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html

    See also this link though it's for XP it's easily applicable to 2k.

    Can't delete files tutorial:
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/howto-delete-xp.html

    The application might allow you to delete it that way, if not then you'll
    have to do it the way I first mentioned. The reason I mention the option for
    NTFS4DOS first is because I know it will work as opposed to Move On Boot not
    always working.

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Well, guess what?

    I tried those things, and neither would remove the file.

> [...]
    also
    > be using NTFS for the additional features.
    >
    > If this is too much work then you can try this:
    >
    > http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html
    >
    > See also this link though it's for XP it's easily applicable to 2k.
    >
    > Can't delete files tutorial:
    > http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/howto-delete-xp.html
    >
    > The application might allow you to delete it that way, if not then you'll
    > have to do it the way I first mentioned. The reason I mention the option
    for
    > NTFS4DOS first is because I know it will work as opposed to Move On Boot
    not
    > always working.
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    >
    > "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    In news:e8h$4V3nFHA.3828@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Stan Shankman <stantheman@visi.com> had this to say:

    > Well, guess what?
    >
    > I tried those things, and neither would remove the file.
    <snip>

    Well then you've gots a problem... If those don't take care of it and
    (missed an obvious one) you can't delete it if you log on as a different
    user then your options are limited. One of them is expensive - you can try
    the Admin Pak from Winternals at about $1000 dollars. It's what many larger
    enterprises use but you're a home user and I don't think you can justify
    those expenses.

    Another option is Bart's PE. That will enable you to boot to CD/DVD and work
    from outside the OS with a handy GUI.

    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    Finally, if you have some urge to do so, you can try Knoppix... (I'm not
    really making this stuff up you know.)

    KNOPPIX Linux Live CD:
    http://www.knoppix.org/

    It's kind of strange recommending that you use Linux to fix Windows but,
    well, your case is worse than most of the ones we see or this would have
    already been cleared up with the earlier mentioned tools. Anyhow the bottom
    two are free. You did check permissions, try resetting them with NTFS4DOS
    with the attribute command, etc? Beyond this I don't know what to tell you.
    You can try checking with Process Explorer and maybe find out what's taking
    away the access.

    Sysinternals Freeware - Process Explorer:
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

    I think I've covered about all the available options for you or a variation
    of the known fixes for this. Beyond this one I have only hard options like
    Kixtart scripting to delete it on boot... That might not even work as move
    on boot didn't do the trick either.

    Galen
    --

    "Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
    its solution is its own reward."

    Sherlock Holmes
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Hi, Stan.

    Can you move everything except that file out of that folder so that it is
    there all by itself, then delete the folder and all its contents? That
    often works, so it's worth a try.

    Once you have nothing you want to keep in that folder, just open a "DOS"
    window and type the Remove Directory command with the /s switch, which
    removes all subdirectories and files, as well as the named parent folder:

    rd <foldername> /s

    It should ask "Are you sure?", so just answer Yes. As usual in a "DOS"
    window, type the command, followed by " /?", to see a mini-help file showing
    the switches available with it: rd /?

    If it doesn't work, post back with exactly what you did and what results you
    saw. "I tried it" or "I tried everything" doesn't tell us enough, and
    neither does a simple "didn't work".

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Stan Shankman" <stantheman@visi.com> wrote in message
    > Greeting all,
    > I have this crazy file hanging around my hard drive. (NTFS Windows 2000
    > box.) The name of it is "ShowFolder[1]." - it is of size zero. I undertook
    > google search and learned a little. i.e. The file originated in a
    > temporary
    > Internet cache. However, in my case, the file in question is not in a
    > temporary internet folder. Instead, my problem file is in a temp folder
    > (made by me for containment purposes) on the root of my C: drive.
    >
    > History: I'm not sure how the file got to my root. It may be that I was
    > trying to "capture" a file out of the Internet cache, and make a temporary
    > folder on my root to containing a copy of the Internet cache. - Something
    > could have done while I searched-and-deleted wily-nilly in an effort to
    > find
    > the file I was looking for. Or it may be that I made a backup of my User,
    > and that I did a "restore" to a temporary location to pick-and-placed what
    > was looking for and was then unable to completely delete what remained.
    > Either way, I now have this undeletable file hanging around in a folder on
    > the root of my C: drive.
    >
    > Question:
    > What do I do to get rid of this file so I can clear away that folder and
    > feel that I have gotten back to normal?
    >
    > Thanks all,
    >
    > - Stan Shankman
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
    > Hi, Stan.

    R.C - thanks for the post back. Sorry for the delay, I have been away.

    > Can you move everything except that file out of that folder so that it is
    > there all by itself, then delete the folder and all its contents? That
    > often works, so it's worth a try.

    Yes, I have the mystery file sitting alone in a folder (called "junk") the
    folder is on the root of my C: drive. I can change the name of the folder; I
    can move the mystery file from folder to folder. But I can not rid myself of
    it no matter where it goes.

    > Once you have nothing you want to keep in that folder, just open a "DOS"
    > window and type the Remove Directory command with the /s switch, which
    > removes all subdirectories and files, as well as the named parent folder:
    >
    > rd <foldername> /s
    >
    > It should ask "Are you sure?", so just answer Yes. As usual in a "DOS"
    > window, type the command, followed by " /?", to see a mini-help file
    showing
    > the switches available with it: rd /?

    I have opened a DOS window. I have even tried 'Delete on Boot". But, when
    using a DOS window, (and your not going to believe this) whatever folder I
    put it in does not show up during a DOS directory search! I have checked
    properties on the folder in question, and have place 'full control' on every
    available possible user. Still, I can not see the folder in a DOS directory
    search! Very Strange. - Have you searched for "ShowFolder[1]." on google
    groups? There is mention of the problem, but I have yet to find anyone who
    has spoken with authority about the problem, the file's origin, or how to
    deal with it.

    > If it doesn't work, post back with exactly what you did and what results
    you
    > saw. "I tried it" or "I tried everything" doesn't tell us enough, and
    > neither does a simple "didn't work".
    >
    > RC
    > --
    > R. C. White, CPA
    > San Marcos, TX
    > rc@corridor.net
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    >
    > "Stan Shankman" <stantheman@visi.com> wrote in message
    > > Greeting all,
    > > I have this crazy file hanging around my hard drive. (NTFS Windows 2000
    > > box.) The name of it is "ShowFolder[1]." - it is of size zero. I
    undertook
    > > google search and learned a little. i.e. The file originated in a
    > > temporary
    > > Internet cache. However, in my case, the file in question is not in a
    > > temporary internet folder. Instead, my problem file is in a temp folder
    > > (made by me for containment purposes) on the root of my C: drive.
    > >
    > > History: I'm not sure how the file got to my root. It may be that I was
    > > trying to "capture" a file out of the Internet cache, and make a
    temporary
    > > folder on my root to containing a copy of the Internet cache. -
    Something
    > > could have done while I searched-and-deleted wily-nilly in an effort to
    > > find
    > > the file I was looking for. Or it may be that I made a backup of my
    User,
    > > and that I did a "restore" to a temporary location to pick-and-placed
    what
    > > was looking for and was then unable to completely delete what remained.
    > > Either way, I now have this undeletable file hanging around in a folder
    on
    > > the root of my C: drive.
    > >
    > > Question:
    > > What do I do to get rid of this file so I can clear away that folder and
    > > feel that I have gotten back to normal?
    > >
    > > Thanks all,
    > >
    > > - Stan Shankman
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Hi, Stan.

    I agree that sounds weird. The Google search mostly turned up THIS thread.
    :>(

    You didn't explicitly say, so I'll ask:

    In the "DOS" window, did you use the Dir /a and Dir /x switches? As you
    probably know, /a shows ALL files, including those with Hidden or System
    attributes. When I want to see EVERY file in a volume, I use Dir /s/a to
    see all files in all subdirectories. I've not yet known of a file that can
    hide from that command. (I add /p when there are too many; this pauses
    after each page.) Dir /x shows the SFN (Short File Name, also known as an
    8.3 filename) for every LFN that does not qualify under the 8.3 rules. Even
    a very short filename can be a Long File Name if it includes a space or
    other character not allowed in an 8.3 filename.

    The command you used was:

    dir C:\junk /s

    Right?

    What message - exactly - did you get back?

    Another possibility is to create a parallel install of Win2K/XP, then boot
    into that installation and delete the rogue file from there. When booted
    into the second copy of Windows, all the files that your original Win2K sees
    as "special" are "just another file" to that second Windows. You would need
    a second volume (primary partition or logical drive in an extended
    partition) for that installation, either on the same HD or on a second HD.
    Many users, including myself, consider a "dual-boot" setup very worthwhile.
    It comes in handy for many repair functions - like this one. Microsoft
    tells how to do a parallel install in the Windows XP Pro Resource Kit; you
    can read the online version here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmc_str_jyof.asp

    A more radical (but maybe quicker) version of the same solution is to take
    your physical HD out of your computer and mount it temporarily in another
    computer running Win2K/XP. That depends on how determined you are to get
    rid of that file, how much hardware you have available and how adept you are
    at such tasks.

    RC
    --

> [...]
    >> > trying to "capture" a file out of the Internet cache, and make a
    > temporary
    >> > folder on my root to containing a copy of the Internet cache. -
    > Something
    >> > could have done while I searched-and-deleted wily-nilly in an effort to
    >> > find
    >> > the file I was looking for. Or it may be that I made a backup of my
    > User,
    >> > and that I did a "restore" to a temporary location to pick-and-placed
    > what
    >> > was looking for and was then unable to completely delete what remained.
    >> > Either way, I now have this undeletable file hanging around in a folder
    > on
    >> > the root of my C: drive.
    >> >
    >> > Question:
    >> > What do I do to get rid of this file so I can clear away that folder

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Whoops!

    > dir C:\junk /s

    Should be:

    RD c:\junk /s

    of course. :^{

    By the way, as you might have noticed, those Temporary Internet Files are
    WEIRD! They don't follow "normal" rules at all. Ask for a directory of one
    and you'll likely see all the files in all of the four related folders (with
    program-generated names) in Content.IE5. If you MUST mess with these files,
    use Internet Explorer's Tools | Internet Options... | General tab.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

> [...]
    >> using a DOS window, (and your not going to believe this) whatever folder
    >> put it in does not show up during a DOS directory search! I have checked
    >> properties on the folder in question, and have place 'full control' on
    >> every
    >> available possible user. Still, I can not see the folder in a DOS
    >> directory
    >> search! Very Strange. - Have you searched for "ShowFolder[1]." on google
    >> groups? There is mention of the problem, but I have yet to find anyone
    >> who
    >> has spoken with authority about the problem, the file's origin, or how to
    >> deal with it.
    >>

    >>> If it doesn't work, post back with exactly what you did and what results
    >> you
    >>> saw. "I tried it" or "I tried everything" doesn't tell us enough, and

Internet Windows