40G hard drive reported as 2G in Win2K

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.new_user,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

I installed Windows2000, an upgrade install from, yikes, MSDOS6.22,to
Windows '95 OSR2, Fat32 file system to Windows 2000 NTFS. When the install
was done I checked in Windows Explorer and it said my C drive was 1.99G,
even though my BIOS reports it at 32G!!! This is on a 400Mhz PII machine.
Not knowing anything about Win2K I tried all kinds of things to get that
30G back, and finally stumbled onto Control Panel > Administrative Tools >
Computer Management > Disk Management, and saw that my hard drive Disk0 had
a 2G drive allocated as "healthy" and 5.86G unallocated space. I tried to
combine this allocated space into 1 disk, was not successful, and decided to
allocate the space into a new disk, disk D:. So now I have to 2 disks, C =
2G, D = 5.86G. I was able to install Windows 2000 SP1, but when I tried to
install SP2 I got a message saying I need 24G on my C: drive in order to
install SP2 and it stopped.
Is there any way to get my full 32g of space back on this system so I can
update my system?

Thanks,
Snyde

dl

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.new_user,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

Some hd's had a jumper to 'reduce' the size, check carefully the jumper
settings

Personnally I would'nt recommend upgrading from win 95, rather perform a
clean install, using win2k cd to partition/format etc
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304868
Be aware all data will be lost, you would need to backup data files

"Snydley" <snydley2REMOVETHIS@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
> I installed Windows2000, an upgrade install from, yikes, MSDOS6.22,to
> Windows '95 OSR2, Fat32 file system to Windows 2000 NTFS. When the install
> was done I checked in Windows Explorer and it said my C drive was 1.99G,
> even though my BIOS reports it at 32G!!! This is on a 400Mhz PII machine.
> Not knowing anything about Win2K I tried all kinds of things to get that
> 30G back, and finally stumbled onto Control Panel > Administrative Tools >
> Computer Management > Disk Management, and saw that my hard drive Disk0
had
> a 2G drive allocated as "healthy" and 5.86G unallocated space. I tried to
> combine this allocated space into 1 disk, was not successful, and decided
> allocate the space into a new disk, disk D:. So now I have to 2 disks, C =
> 2G, D = 5.86G. I was able to install Windows 2000 SP1, but when I tried to
> install SP2 I got a message saying I need 24G on my C: drive in order to
> install SP2 and it stopped.
> Is there any way to get my full 32g of space back on this system so I can
> update my system?
>
> Thanks,
> Snyde

Philo

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

Snydley wrote:
> I installed Windows2000, an upgrade install from, yikes, MSDOS6.22,to
> Windows '95 OSR2, Fat32 file system to Windows 2000 NTFS. When the install
> was done I checked in Windows Explorer and it said my C drive was 1.99G,
> even though my BIOS reports it at 32G!!! This is on a 400Mhz PII machine.
> Not knowing anything about Win2K I tried all kinds of things to get that
> 30G back, and finally stumbled onto Control Panel > Administrative Tools >
> Computer Management > Disk Management, and saw that my hard drive Disk0 had
> a 2G drive allocated as "healthy" and 5.86G unallocated space. I tried to
> combine this allocated space into 1 disk, was not successful, and decided to
> allocate the space into a new disk, disk D:. So now I have to 2 disks, C =
> 2G, D = 5.86G. I was able to install Windows 2000 SP1, but when I tried to
> install SP2 I got a message saying I need 24G on my C: drive in order to
> install SP2 and it stopped.
> Is there any way to get my full 32g of space back on this system so I can
> update my system?

since the machine was originally setup with msdos6.22
it would have had to been partitioned at fat16 and thus 2 gigs.

since you've done many upgrades...chances are the win2k upgrade
is not going to work out very well on top of all the previos versions

best to just backup your data
then install win2k fresh...
you can delete yout entire drive
then start over and utalize the entire 32gigs

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.new_user,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

I took your advise and did a clean install of Windows 2000 from boot
disks I made, having it delete the existing partitions before the
install. It worked perfectly. I have 32G of 40G available, (that's all
the BIOS "sees"), on the drive now and that'll work fine until I
eventually buy a new computer. I'm gonna get as much mileage out of this
PII as I can first though!

Thanks for the help!
Snyde

DL wrote:
> Some hd's had a jumper to 'reduce' the size, check carefully the jumper
> settings
>
> Personnally I would'nt recommend upgrading from win 95, rather perform a
> clean install, using win2k cd to partition/format etc
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304868
> Be aware all data will be lost, you would need to backup data files
>
> "Snydley" <snydley2REMOVETHIS@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>I installed Windows2000, an upgrade install from, yikes, MSDOS6.22,to
>>Windows '95 OSR2, Fat32 file system to Windows 2000 NTFS. When the install
>>was done I checked in Windows Explorer and it said my C drive was 1.99G,
>>even though my BIOS reports it at 32G!!! This is on a 400Mhz PII machine.
>> Not knowing anything about Win2K I tried all kinds of things to get that
>>30G back, and finally stumbled onto Control Panel > Administrative Tools >
>>Computer Management > Disk Management, and saw that my hard drive Disk0
>
> had
>
>>a 2G drive allocated as "healthy" and 5.86G unallocated space. I tried to
>>combine this allocated space into 1 disk, was not successful, and decided

>>allocate the space into a new disk, disk D:. So now I have to 2 disks, C =
>>2G, D = 5.86G. I was able to install Windows 2000 SP1, but when I tried to
>>install SP2 I got a message saying I need 24G on my C: drive in order to
>>install SP2 and it stopped.
>> Is there any way to get my full 32g of space back on this system so I can
>>update my system?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Snyde

dl

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.new_user,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

The win2k cd is bootable, you may have to alter/amend boot order in bios

> I took your advise and did a clean install of Windows 2000 from boot
> disks I made, having it delete the existing partitions before the
> install. It worked perfectly. I have 32G of 40G available, (that's all
> the BIOS "sees"), on the drive now and that'll work fine until I
> eventually buy a new computer. I'm gonna get as much mileage out of this
> PII as I can first though!
>
> Thanks for the help!
> Snyde
>
> DL wrote:
> > Some hd's had a jumper to 'reduce' the size, check carefully the jumper
> > settings
> >
> > Personnally I would'nt recommend upgrading from win 95, rather perform a
> > clean install, using win2k cd to partition/format etc
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304868
> > Be aware all data will be lost, you would need to backup data files
> >
> > "Snydley" <snydley2REMOVETHIS@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>I installed Windows2000, an upgrade install from, yikes, MSDOS6.22,to
> >>Windows '95 OSR2, Fat32 file system to Windows 2000 NTFS. When the
install
> >>was done I checked in Windows Explorer and it said my C drive was 1.99G,
> >>even though my BIOS reports it at 32G!!! This is on a 400Mhz PII
machine.
> >> Not knowing anything about Win2K I tried all kinds of things to get
that
> >>30G back, and finally stumbled onto Control Panel > Administrative Tools
>
> >>Computer Management > Disk Management, and saw that my hard drive Disk0
> >
> > had
> >
> >>a 2G drive allocated as "healthy" and 5.86G unallocated space. I tried
> >>combine this allocated space into 1 disk, was not successful, and
decided

> >>allocate the space into a new disk, disk D:. So now I have to 2 disks, C
=
> >>2G, D = 5.86G. I was able to install Windows 2000 SP1, but when I tried
> >>install SP2 I got a message saying I need 24G on my C: drive in order
> >>install SP2 and it stopped.
> >> Is there any way to get my full 32g of space back on this system so I
can
> >>update my system?
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>Snyde

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.new_user,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:21:23 GMT, "Snydley"
<snydley2REMOVETHIS@stny.rr.com> wrote:

>I installed Windows2000, an upgrade install from, yikes, MSDOS6.22,to
>Windows '95 OSR2, Fat32 file system to Windows 2000 NTFS.

MS-DOS v6.x would format the drive to 2gig max. Deleting the
drive and partitioning under Windows 2000 would get you the
larger drive partitions you would expect.