Arctic Silver 5 and Conroe 6600??

zjwillie

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I've tired to find good info on whether or not I should remove the thermal paste my E6600 came with and use arctic silver. What do you think?

I already have the AS5 and the processor (getting mobo tomorrow) I haven't built a computer in years. Is it worth the trouble and how difficult is removing the compond that is already on there?

Thanks for reading!

ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe, Conroe E6600, Corsair XMS2-TWIN2X2048-6400C4, OCZ 700W GameXStream, BFG 7900GT, 2 Raptor 150GB, 2 Cavier WD 400GB

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I've tired to find good info on whether or not I should remove the thermal paste my E6600 came with and use arctic silver. What do you think?

I already have the AS5 and the processor (getting mobo tomorrow) I haven't built a computer in years. Is it worth the trouble and how difficult is removing the compond that is already on there?

Thanks for reading!

ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe, Conroe E6600, Corsair XMS2-TWIN2X2048-6400C4, OCZ 700W GameXStream, BFG 7900GT, 2 Raptor 150GB, 2 Cavier WD 400GB
I always go straight to the AS. Even if you don't find any difference in temps, Intel's TIM's make a hell of a mess over time. Should you decide down the road to change heatsinks, or even to just refresh the TIM, the Intel crap will give you a headache. IMO go with the AS5. GL :)

I agree with 1tanker..... I always wipe off the pre-applied, pathetic excuse for TIM, when I build a system for someone. I then head straight for the AS 5 and never look back. Although recently i've started using Zalman's ZM-STG1 paste, and it works pretty well.

zjwillie

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Hey thanks guys! Perhaps I've been up for too many hours but I can't seem to find a good walkthrough on removing the paste that comes with the cpu/hsf. I know it's simple but the price of the object I'm cleaning/wipeing on do make me a bit timid. Thanks again.

t53186

Distinguished
Nothing should be on the CPU when it arrives. The HS will have the pad or compound on it. If you use anything to scrap off the majority, use a plastic scraper (old credit card works. Be carful not to scratch the heat sink. Then use isopropyl alcohol (91% or better) to disolve the coumpound. You can use more aggressive solvent byt use it sparingly or not at all and finish with alcohol. The object is to get a very clean surface without altering the flatness of the heat sink. After it's clean make sure no rag/wipe/q-tip particles remain. AS website has instrucitons along with aftermarket cooler websites.