XP boot floppy

I received a recommendation for using a single floppy
XP boot disk to access 'fixmbr' .......but the bootdisks
that I downloadded are a six-floppy set. Any advice on
how to get a single-floppy XP boot disk?
--
William B. Lurie

fixmbr is an option that is run from the Recovery Console. Use either the 6
floppy set or your XP CD.
There is a single floppy DOS disk that can be used to install XP but you can
not run fixmbr from it. That disk is found at Plato's site here
www.bootdisk.com

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
>I received a recommendation for using a single floppy
> XP boot disk to access 'fixmbr' .......but the bootdisks
> that I downloadded are a six-floppy set. Any advice on
> how to get a single-floppy XP boot disk?
> --
> William B. Lurie

Have never heard of a "single" boot floppy. Couldn't the person who
recommended this to you point you in the right direction, or copy his for
you?

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

William B. Lurie wrote:
> I received a recommendation for using a single floppy
> XP boot disk to access 'fixmbr' .......but the bootdisks
> that I downloadded are a six-floppy set. Any advice on
> how to get a single-floppy XP boot disk?
Or how to get to 'fixmbr' any way at all?

--
William B. Lurie

There was a single boot diskette available from www.bootdisk.com .. last
time I heard that you have to pay for it..

Harry Ohrn wrote:

> fixmbr is an option that is run from the Recovery Console. Use either the 6
> floppy set or your XP CD.
> There is a single floppy DOS disk that can be used to install XP but you can
> not run fixmbr from it. That disk is found at Plato's site here
> www.bootdisk.com

My machine doesn't get me to RC, Harry. It says
there's a file missing, ntldr.dll I think.
Is there a way to get RC onto my machine,
or do I have to use the original CD.......and
how do I use IT to get me to where I can fixmbr...
My problem is that it doesn't boot all the way to
not quite.

--
William B. Lurie

Harry Ohrn wrote:
> fixmbr is an option that is run from the Recovery Console. Use either the 6
> floppy set or your XP CD.
> There is a single floppy DOS disk that can be used to install XP but you can
> not run fixmbr from it. That disk is found at Plato's site here
> www.bootdisk.com

Harry, when I boot from XP CD and it gets to choice of RC or
whatever, I select RC and it says it can't find c:\system32\hal.dll
but a search of that drive when it is visible as Slave,
shows hal.dll in a dozen places, including in system32.
It's a Catch-22....I need to run RC to fixmbr, but it won't
run RC because it can't find that file. Did I search for it
in the wrong place? Should I start a new thread, since we're
out of the XP boot floppy area already.

William B. Lurie

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
>I received a recommendation for using a single floppy
> XP boot disk to access 'fixmbr' .......but the bootdisks
> that I downloadded are a six-floppy set. Any advice on
> how to get a single-floppy XP boot disk?
> --
> William B. Lurie

Some time ago I made a floppy to boot direct to XP if there was any problem
with it's boot record. By chance I happened to test it this morning as I was
replacing CO drive, the boot drive, whilst XP is on D drive. While the New C
drive was still bare and unformatted I could boot to XP from the floppy with
no problem.

All you have to do is copy the following files to a floppy formatted in XP.
Boot config settings, NT DETECT and NTldr. I note that I had also copied
Boot sector Dos though that Is probably not essential.

I hope this is of some use.

Richard.

Richard wrote:
> "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
>
>>I received a recommendation for using a single floppy
>>XP boot disk to access 'fixmbr' .......but the bootdisks
>>that I downloadded are a six-floppy set. Any advice on
>>how to get a single-floppy XP boot disk?
>>--
>> William B. Lurie
>

> Some time ago I made a floppy to boot direct to XP if there was any problem
> with it's boot record. By chance I happened to test it this morning as I was
> replacing CO drive, the boot drive, whilst XP is on D drive. While the New C
> drive was still bare and unformatted I could boot to XP from the floppy with
> no problem.
>
> All you have to do is copy the following files to a floppy formatted in XP.
> Boot config settings, NT DETECT and NTldr. I note that I had also copied
> Boot sector Dos though that Is probably not essential.
>
> I hope this is of some use.
>
> Richard.

Thank you, Richard, but that's beyond what I can handle.
W B L

--
William B. Lurie

Why not put in the disk that you made back in June for just such a problem?

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff

» mrtee « wrote:
> Why not put in the disk that you made back in June for just such a problem?

Because it is not consistent. Doing same thing
time and again doesn't work all the time. I
wish I knew why! I'm still experimenting.

--
William B. Lurie