I have a group of systems that log into a workgroup not a domain. I need
these workstations to get the system time from an internal server that is not
a PDC or BDC. Does anyone know how to do this? I have struck out on
microsoft.com

http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=216734 "How to configure an authoritative time server in Windows 2000 "
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=120944 "Using NET TIME for all Workstations and Servers "

"Jerold Schulman" wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 13:15:03 -0700, Chris. <Chris.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a group of systems that log into a workgroup not a domain. I need
> >these workstations to get the system time from an internal server that is not
> >a PDC or BDC. Does anyone know how to do this? I have struck out on
> >microsoft.com
>
> http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=216734 "How to configure an authoritative time server in Windows 2000 "
> http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=120944 "Using NET TIME for all Workstations and Servers "

I have tried the net time command.
If I use the host name (NET TIME \\HOSTNAME /SET /YES) I get "Error 53
Network Path Not Found"
If I use the IP (NET TIME \\127.0.0.1 /SET /YES) I get "Error 5 Access Denied"

So I'm still stuck.

The latter is invalid. It's like saying 'self set clock to self'. Try;

NET TIME \\serverIP /SET /Y

Where \\serverIP is the ip address of the time keeper.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 08:28:29 -0700, Chris. <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Jerold Schulman" wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 13:15:03 -0700, Chris. <Chris.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have a group of systems that log into a workgroup not a domain. I need
>> >these workstations to get the system time from an internal server that is not
>> >a PDC or BDC. Does anyone know how to do this? I have struck out on
>> >microsoft.com
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=216734 "How to configure an authoritative time server in Windows 2000 "
>> http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=120944 "Using NET TIME for all Workstations and Servers "
>>

>I have tried the net time command.
>If I use the host name (NET TIME \\HOSTNAME /SET /YES) I get "Error 53
>Network Path Not Found"
>If I use the IP (NET TIME \\127.0.0.1 /SET /YES) I get "Error 5 Access Denied"
>
>So I'm still stuck.

Is NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled in your TCP properties?
Is the browser service started on all computers?

I finally figured it out. The Server in question must be configured as a SNTP
server. Then the following commands work just fine.

C:\NET TIME /SETSNTP:127.0.0.1

C:\NET STOP W32TIME

C:\NET START W32TIME