plugged in power incorrectly 2 my floppy then smoke! damage?

zeki

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
I got a new core2duo system and i accidently plugged the power cable to my floppy drive incorrectly. when i turned the pc on the drive started smoking. i turned the pc off and thats when i realized i plugged it in wrong. i inspected the power cable that was connected to it and it was melted. i detached the floppy drive. i was scared to turn the pc back on with that power supply after what happened but i did it anyways. it seemed like everything was loading fine till it got into windoze the screen was all messed up.

so i ended up swapping the powersupply to get it to work.
so here is my question. did it do any damage to my cpu, mobo or memory when it was smoking? after the swap everything seems to be ok. so was the damage only to my powersupply?

i started monitoring my voltage levels is 1.0-1.2 for cpu core voltage normal?

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
i started monitoring my voltage levels is 1.0-1.2 for cpu core voltage normal?

I don't know, check the box it should tell you what the core voltage is.

It probably didn't do any damage to anything else, but you never know. If it works, don't worry about it, there's nothing you can do anyway.

linux_0

Splendid
Your FDD may have survived but I wouldn't use it.

If your PSU was a quality unit it should have survived -- I've seen this before and the PSU survived unscathed -- of course it was a high end unit but you cannot really trust it without testing it extensively on an old system you can afford to lose.

To prevent future problems cut off the leads to the 3.5" 4pin mini molex FDD power connector where it branches off the 5.25" 4pin molex connector and electrical tape it if necessary.

GL :-D

Howard_Stern

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I had the exact same thing happen. I simply wrapped up my burnt wire with electrical tape and replaced the FDD. Everything works fine, and it happened three years ago.

It really freaks you out when you see that smoke doesn't it...LOL.

Regards.

Yeah, I think we've all done that. The system where I did that to is still running fine after I taped up the wires that got toasted. Those floppy power connectors are VERY easy to mis-place, I'll tell you...

1.0-1.2V Vcore on a Core 2 Duo is normal. The ~1.2 is the full-speed voltage and the 1.0 is the voltage at idle where it clocks down. The C2Ds are 65nm chips, so their voltage will be lower than 90nm and 130nm chips.

Crazylegs

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Wow - I thought I was the only idiot to do something that stupid. It's nice to know you have company. I actually experienced the smoke for the first time this past weekend. The funny thing is that I KNEW I "probably didn't get the power cable on right" - I actually said that to the dude who was helping me with the build. I had place a hard drive on either side of the floppy (top and bottom, as it were), and could barely get the cable on right and couldn't see the connection and didn't bother to grab a flashlight and check it. Plugged it in and it started to smoke. The red wire melted all of the way up to the next connector.

I threw out the power supply. I thought about cutting off the bad section, but I figured that it is not worth a house fire for a $50.00 part. Add to the fact that I built the computer for my in-laws, and that goes double - my in-law's house burns down and it's my fault? I would never hear the end of it!

czar1020

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Yea Wolf, they're are designed for one way plug in, but I think enough force and stupidity will make it fit.

Regards.

Ill have to agree with this 1... still i dont think i could get damn thing to go on wrong if i wanted 2.

Crazylegs

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Yea Wolf, they're are designed for one way plug in, but I think enough force and stupidity will make it fit.

Regards.

Ill have to agree with this 1... still i dont think i could get damn thing to go on wrong if i wanted 2.

Actually, it doesn't take too much force - just extra stupidity!

It's not like the molex connection for a hard drive or DVD drive (where it won't fit at all upside down) - it's surprisingly easy to simply slide the power cord on missing one of the wires (to the right or left) and one may be able to slide it in upside down, as stupid as that seems.

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
When I was sheething my PSU cables, I accidentally swapped the 5V and 12V wires on the minimolex when reattaching the connector. I stupidly assumed the wiring was the same as a normal molex. Nope, the two wires are swapped. I got no smoke, but the floppy was dead :?

zeki

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
hearing this makes me feel better. thanx guys. ya my powersupply was a seasonic so it was pretty expensive piece. it was pretty stupid to plug it in wrong. its dark inside the case so i couldn't see if it was plugged in correctly.

as for the core voltage the stupid desktop utilities that comes with the motherboard (d975xbx) monitors the power has a threshold thats between 1.5V and 2.5V. intel need to update this software for the core 2 duo. if what Mu_engineer said is correct.

anyways thanx for the support.

KodeFoo

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
Heh i have done this before.. i was feeling really lazy and i had forgotten to hook up the power to my burner after i had taken it out to get the dust out, well i had already started it up and so i did not want to have to shut it down again and start it back up so i just tried to plug it in while the power was in. Well i could not see very well because the room was not lit very well and i did not get he power connector on correctly .. i heard a pop and my pc shut off...I first freaked out and then I let everythign sit for a min or two then i turned on the lights and hooked it up and it booted without any problems... lets just say... i now always take my time. ^_^

500r420

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
I near set my bed on fire about a month ago when i shorted out a 12v while trying to attach a fan to the open wires
theres still a brown hole in the sheets

the three pin power on motherboards also short out pretty ease but the boards always work fine despite clouds of smoke . . .

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
You have a faulty power supply, replace it immediately!
The floppy cables are able to manage the short circuit for a few seconds before raising their resistance too much, but your PSU didn't turned off.
This is symptom of bad working PSU overload protection, I suggest you to replace the unit before doing any other things.

But a faulty PSU can cause damage to other components... no one can exclude you mobo and/or CPU/RAM/GPU are damaged too.