If I give group Everyone ReadOnly rights to a top level folder and then give
certain users full control to folders under the top level folder, why is it
those users only have ReadOnly rights to folders they have full control?

Thanks

If the Everyone Read Only permissions are Share permissions and they are the
only Share permissions; then no one who accesses any folders or files
through this share will have better than Read only access.

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP