Looking for wireless router tutorial

DaveC

Distinguished
May 8, 2004
Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I'm having a heck of a time setting up a Linksys WRT54G wireless router.
After staring at several of the fields in the setup page, I realized that
what I'm lacking is an understand of what each of the IP addresses, etc.
means.

Is there a tutorial for beginners, not so much of "type this in this field"
help, but more a thinking person's guide: "A DSL modem will have a fixed
address, relative to the LAN you're setting up..." and such.

I Googled, but while I found lots of people asking specific questions and
getting them answered, I found little tutorial information.

Thanks,
John
--
John English
moviepotatoe . AT . yahoo . com

"DaveC" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> I'm having a heck of a time setting up a Linksys WRT54G wireless router.
> After staring at several of the fields in the setup page, I realized that
> what I'm lacking is an understand of what each of the IP addresses, etc.
> means.
>
> Is there a tutorial for beginners, not so much of "type this in this
> field"
> help, but more a thinking person's guide: "A DSL modem will have a fixed
> address, relative to the LAN you're setting up..." and such.
>
> I Googled, but while I found lots of people asking specific questions and
> getting them answered, I found little tutorial information.

Call Linksys Tech Support and be done with it like I did back in 2001 that
is what they are there for to help you.

Duane :)

On Mon, 2 May 2005 18:08:45 -0700, DaveC <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>I'm having a heck of a time setting up a Linksys WRT54G wireless router.
>After staring at several of the fields in the setup page, I realized that
>what I'm lacking is an understand of what each of the IP addresses, etc.
>means.
>
>Is there a tutorial for beginners, not so much of "type this in this field"
>help, but more a thinking person's guide: "A DSL modem will have a fixed
>address, relative to the LAN you're setting up..." and such.
>
>I Googled, but while I found lots of people asking specific questions and
>getting them answered, I found little tutorial information.

Did you try hitting the "help" button in the upper right of the
Linksys WRT54G setup screens?

Did you check the Linksys web pile? They have an educational page:
http://www.linksys.com/edu/
that walks you through most of the basics. It only seems to work with
IE6 and blows up with Mozilla, Firefox, and Netscape.

Tutorials, FAQ's, and troubleshooting:
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/FAQ.php
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/troubleshoot_index.htm

Other:
http://www.linksysinfo.net

# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# jeffl@cruzio.com AE6KS

DaveC

Distinguished
May 8, 2004
Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

> Did you try hitting the "help" button in the upper right of the
> Linksys WRT54G setup screens?

I'm using Sveasoft firmware. I presume that the Linksys guides won't help
me(?)

> Did you check the Linksys web pile? They have an educational page:
> http://www.linksys.com/edu/

Good general info about IPs, et.al.

> that walks you through most of the basics. It only seems to work with
> IE6 and blows up with Mozilla, Firefox, and Netscape.
>
> Tutorials, FAQ's, and troubleshooting:
> http://www.tomsnetworking.com/FAQ.php
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/troubleshoot_index.htm
>
> Other:
> http://www.linksysinfo.net

Thanks, Jeff. These are great references.

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

On Tue, 3 May 2005 16:20:22 -0700, DaveC <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>> Did you try hitting the "help" button in the upper right of the
>> Linksys WRT54G setup screens?
>
>I'm using Sveasoft firmware. I presume that the Linksys guides won't help
>me(?)

Which Sveasoft firmware? Satori, Alchemy, or whatever?

However, I lied. I just looked at my Satori firmware and found that
there's no "help" button. Instead there's a "more..." button on the
right side of each page. Same thing on all versions I've looked at
including the Linksys firmware. It displays a list of buzzwords and
explanations. Admittedly, it's a bit terse, but sufficient to pound
into Google for additional help.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

Latest posts