Sign in with
Your question

100% ultilization on 1 of my Core's

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 7, 2006 1:05:48 PM

Just built my new system....DS3, E6400 (not OC'd), 2GB Corsair XMS 4-4-4-12 memory, Antec Sonata II case and PSU. It seems at random, 1 of my CPU core's will jump to 100% utilization, when this happens, I cant run any app or even shut down the PC, I have to hit the reset button. Anyone know what could be causing this? Most time it seems to happen right after I run some application or game, other times it happens just when I leave the PC on for a long period of time. Could it be overheating? Thanks in advance.

More about : 100 ultilization core

September 7, 2006 3:27:31 PM

I've never known CPU utilization go 100% based on overheating. I am guessing it's more likely to be application related. If you are running something in the background like antivirus you might want to kill off those application and undertake an extended test. Then slowly bring each application back up to see what's going on.

Of course it could be any number of things but probably software or driver related in my opinion. Hopefully you haven't found a performance issue with Conroe :( 
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2006 3:36:34 PM

Quote:
Just built my new system....DS3, E6400 (not OC'd), 2GB Corsair XMS 4-4-4-12 memory, Antec Sonata II case and PSU. It seems at random, 1 of my CPU core's will jump to 100% utilization, when this happens, I cant run any app or even shut down the PC, I have to hit the reset button. Anyone know what could be causing this? Most time it seems to happen right after I run some application or game, other times it happens just when I leave the PC on for a long period of time. Could it be overheating? Thanks in advance.

What software are you running? Windows? Firewall? Antivirus? and what versions of each?
Related resources
September 7, 2006 3:58:35 PM

I have a dual core system as well (AMD X2 4400+) and the few times I've seen a core max out my system remains 100% usable/functional... sure, my temps go up a bit during that, but the system remains responsive. I agree a previous poster who suggested it was probably software related.
September 7, 2006 4:02:42 PM

Quote:

Sounds like malware or a bad driver. What process is spiking the CPU?
September 7, 2006 4:25:32 PM

I am very confident it is s/w related and agree with Baron that it's quite possibly malware. Have you ran adaware to "clean" your pc? That would be my first option...always good to do this regularly anyway.
Next, keep an eye on the task manager, under the processes tab, sort by CPU, and see what's taking up the CPU usage.
September 7, 2006 4:29:46 PM

have you tried to reinstall windows ? i have heard that somepeople had trouble when they went from a single core toa dual core without reinstalling windows.
September 7, 2006 4:46:09 PM

Quote:
I am very confident it is s/w related and agree with Baron that it's quite possibly malware. Have you ran adaware to "clean" your pc? That would be my first option...always good to do this regularly anyway.
Next, keep an eye on the task manager, under the processes tab, sort by CPU, and see what's taking up the CPU usage.

I agree... here's a quick and hard way to do this...

Quick part... Start > Run > type "msconfig" (minus quotes) and click OK > click on Startup Items tab at the top > click Disable All > Restart

See if your computer locks up at that point... most likely it won't... here's the hard part...

Go through the same process but enable startup items a few at a time to see if you can narrow down which one is causing the spike in your CPU usage.

Also, you may want to check your event viewer and see if any drivers are listed as culprit, also may want the check device manager to make sure drivers are all there or properly installed.

Event Viewer -
Right Click My Computer
Left Click Manage
Left Click Event Viewer
Left Click System
Organize by Date and check for any consistent times and see if it may ring a bell...

Device Manager -
Right Click My Computer
Left Click Properties
Click the Hardware button
Click Device Manager and check for yellow exclamation points, question marks, or red x's

Sorry if I seem insulting by telling you step by step but I deal with people all day who have no idea, it's just habit..
September 7, 2006 4:49:02 PM

Could this have anything to do with going from a hyperthreading single core CPU to a dual core non-hyperthreading one? Like maybe something in the device manager wasn't exactly right.
September 7, 2006 4:55:58 PM

The only thing like that that I am aware of is from AMD... but I would definately say it's not oustide the realm of possibility especially if you're using the same motherboard.

I would definately check the manufacturer for a driver update... beyond that I wouldn't know.
September 7, 2006 5:42:04 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll try to answer some of the questions. Its a brand new MCE2005 install, latest chipset drivers, heres the funny thing....when I went to check the application or process which was hogging up the CPU resources, I couldnt find it...everything looked normal. Is the list seperated by each core or something? I'll check the event viewer tonight and report what I find. Thanks again.
September 7, 2006 6:53:31 PM

I have MCE 2005 on my laptop at home... and to answer your question... no, (at least on my laptop) the list of active processes is for both cores... just one all-inclusive list. I believe from that screen you can set the affinity for a process (thus assigning it to one core or the other)
September 7, 2006 7:12:30 PM

Get SysInternal's Process Explorer and use that. If it's a clean install and it's some svchost.exe process that's at 100%, this will help narrow it down where Task Manager cannot.
September 8, 2006 3:40:41 AM

ok I ran SysInternal's Process Explorer (great app btw) and found out the process hanging up was "Hardware Interrupts" so I did a little digging into my event viewer and found this:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Disk
Event Category: None
Event ID: 52
Date: 9/7/2006
Time: 8:19:38 PM
User: N/A
Computer:
Description:
The driver has detected that device \Device\Harddisk2\DR2 has predicted that it will fail. Immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.

I was downloading to this drive when it happened. I guess the next step is to remove the drive and fire it back up.

What else could "Hardware interrupts" be....could it be motherboard?
!