Windows Explorer locks up

This afternoon Windows Explorer freezes whenever I try to navigate in the
Folders pane. I have to get in to Task Manager and kill Explorer (which
says "Not Responding"). If I am navigating in icon view, it works fine.
But anything past My Computer in the Folders pane causes a lockup.

I have searched for hours on this. I 've seen other with similar posts but
no answers. Is there a registry setting that could have been corrupted?
Anyone?

seanbrockest

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I had a similar problem, eventually found it was due to a video codec. When explorer tried to make a thumbnail for a specific type of video's, it crashed.

Knowing this, think of what kind of files are in the directories that are making you crash. It's a starting point.

PlutoDelic

Distinguished
May 31, 2005
I had a similar problem, eventually found it was due to a video codec. When explorer tried to make a thumbnail for a specific type of video's, it crashed.

Knowing this, think of what kind of files are in the directories that are making you crash. It's a starting point.

same, this happends with WMP 7.1 and up, i usualy change the web ciew to classic windows folders (nostalgic fan) and never had the problems again

you have three alternatives

1.change the web view to classic view
2.uninstall WMP, download alternative freeware softwares (www.codecguide.com, mega codec pack is really nice)
3.use another explorer 8) ROS Explorer

csindelar

I was having the same problem. I found a Windows Update (KB908531)that was installed this last weekend involving a vulnerability in Windows Explorer. After un-installing that I was working like a champ. :D