ULTRA CHILLTEC PELTIER COOLER!!!

klawrence0

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
ok I didn't get what the results were. What is normal for this CPU? did you try to overclock it? I thought these were meant to get down to 0 C or below?

finally what's MSRP on one of these bad boys? What's the load animation look like when at 100%? I want to see that stickman dig!!

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
ok I didn't get what the results were. What is normal for this CPU? did you try to overclock it? I thought these were meant to get down to 0 C or below?

finally what's MSRP on one of these bad boys? What's the load animation look like when at 100%? I want to see that stickman dig!!

didn't you see it was at 3.2Ghz 1.54V?
at that voltage the stock cooler would rise to 80º in a minute

klawrence0

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
yes, I did see that, but what is normal?

you see, I am not an "Old Hand" such as yourself. in fact I am a "stranger" to this and I have an AMD X2 4400. So while the gentlemen did a great job in presentation, I have no frame of reference to understand his results.

darklife41

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
The E6400 runs at 2.13GHz stock. So 3.2GHz is a substantial overclock.

I have a E6400 running at 3.2GHz with 1.425v on air. The CPU idles at 26-28C and gets to 54C under full load. So I don't see the advantage of the high voltage nor this cooler to achieve these results.

It would have been nice to see an example of results that couldn't be achieved with air or water cooling, since that is the only reason most people will pay for a Peltier cooler.

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
usually 3.2 can be achieved with 1.35000V. I can run my E6600 at that speed with 1.25675V.

1.54000V is a huge voltage and I doubt there are many "air" competitors to manage such low temps at that voltage. 3.2ghz or 3.6ghz, that vcore is very high.

As advantages I see the most importants being: no hoses or any king of maintenance.

darklife41

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Of the few E6400s I've tested to date, none are stable @ 3.2GHz on Prime95 at less than 1.40v. I go up a tad to be safe.

But my point is that this OC is nothing spectacular, and didn't need a Peltier system nor those high voltages to achieve it.

I have a Thermaltake Big Typhoon and replaced the stock fan with a Thermaltake Smart Fan 2 (3500 RPM). However the stock Intel fan will get this CPU to 3.2GHz comfortably, although its noisy.

This is my system, on air, also with no maintenance required. I can get 3.4GHz, at that point the motherboard runs into problems from the high FSB, but the CPU could go higher. Much cheaper than a Peltier system too.

E6400.JPG

Direct link below:

http://oc.ultramaxcc.com.au/36air/E6400.JPG

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
You can tell the same about water cooling also...
So, what's your point? One only should buy water cooling to oc past 3.8Ghz??
Why do you have a c2d? You can do the same with a cheaper x2 3600+ at stock...it will take longer, but it's cheaper. Same with coolers. I have my cpu at 3.4 with an ac freezer 7 pro hitting 62ºc at load, but I could drop some more on a tuniq tower to reduce 4 or 5ºc.
It's a question of personal taste.

darklife41

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
I think I've stated my point pretty clearly twice now. But I'll try once more for the reading comprehension challenged.

The video would have been a lot more helpful and impressive if they had done an OC that couldn't be achieved on stock air and with much lower voltages. I want to see what the peltier is capable of, not how it will achieve the same results I get on air.

I'm guessing this system is pretty expensive since a Swiftech thermoelectric kit is $400AUD. If all you want is to achieve 3.2GHz on a E6400, you can do that with the stock cooler. Your money would be much better spent on other components.

Personal taste is running a vacuum cleaner-like fan on your CPU instead of a quiet air system for the same price and gets the same results. Spending 8 times as much money on a system that doesn't allow you to go any faster is just silly. :)

And for the record, I have an E6400 because it'll run just as fast as your E6600 and cost much less.

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
First: You're the one with problems expressing yourself. Where we dig, and find nothing.
Second: In fact, your comprehension is slow. In my 1st post, I said with a stock cooler, not with your fancy and noisy cooler.
Third: I don't know about cpuz and your mobo readings, but your 1.57v on gigabyte utility shows 1.213v on cpuz. At 1.57v you wouldn't have those idle temps even if you pissed in your cooler.
Fourth: You can't use google properly or you are blind. The cooler is selling for 129.99.

klawrence0

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
I'm with darklife, I am not impressed. I remember seeing some overclocked cpus where peltiers were being used to get the suckers down to freezing or below. We really don't know what the capacity of this cooler is, based on this review. How many joules can it dissipate per second? Is the answer simply the wattage delivered to the Peltier device, or is the ability of the system also dictated by the fan/heatsink assembly as well? I would also be interested in the temperature in a case containing this heater. Or is it meant for someone who would create a duct for the air to flow out of anyway?

The regulation is nice though.

darklife41

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
I wouldn't pay much attention to PMR. He's been rude from his first post on this thread and has shown no real technical knowledge. It could be because English isn't his 1st language, but that's no excuse for some of his comments.

Anyone who doesn't know CPUz is showing the stock settings in the top portion doesn't know much about overclocking a CPU. That's why I also showed EasyTune, which shows the actual settings.

He's not even bright enough to pick up on the fact that the noisy air cooler is his, not mine. All 120mm fans are quieter than 80-90mm fans. Arctic Freezer Pro has a noisy little 90mm fan that spins up to 4500RPM. I found it quite irritating and not nearly as effective as other coolers on the market. :)

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I wouldn't pay much attention to PMR. He's been rude from his first post on this thread and has shown no real technical knowledge. It could be because English isn't his 1st language, but that's no excuse for some of his comments.

Anyone who doesn't know CPUz is showing the stock settings in the top portion doesn't know much about overclocking a CPU. That's why I also showed EasyTune, which shows the actual settings.

He's not even bright enough to pick up on the fact that the noisy air cooler is his, not mine. All 120mm fans are quieter than 80-90mm fans. Arctic Freezer Pro has a noisy little 90mm fan that spins up to 4500RPM. I found it quite irritating and not nearly as effective as other coolers on the market. :)

Now you are telling what my system does? My cpuz voltages always were the same as shown on the bios and in everest (only core temp shows stock). AC freezer goes to 2500rpm max (without/with pwm) and never goes further than 2100 with qfan enabled on the bios. I know bigger fans move more air than smaller ones. But yours at 3500rpm (as you said) it's noisier than mine

My system reduced to 3.0Ghz at full load for one day long with gromacs. Voltages are equal in everest, bios and cpuz. At same voltage it handles 3.2ghz.

35ho8bl.jpg

And a proof that an E6400 doesn't need as much voltage as you say:

2rzcozn.jpg

I can now tell that you don't have a clue about what you are talking about.
And you assume that I don't know much about overclocking, einstein.
Sorry.

darklife41

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Aha! I did make a mistake.
I misread the specs for my old Arctic Freezer 7 Pro. Its so dusty from sitting in the garage for a year that I mistook 4700 "cm2" for RPM. Its a cheap CPU cooler for a good reason. Even at 3500RPM the TT Smart Fan II is considerably more quiet, but I only use the full speed for benchmarking. Try one, you'll like it.

If you look at my CPU fan speed while at 3.2GHz and 1.57v, you'll see that it was only running at 2500RPM.

Increase your voltage and see if it shows on CPUz. It won't because the top box in CPUz is the processor's factory settings (same as the 2.4GHz in your case, etc.). The bottom box is actuals and doesn't include voltage. Apparently you saw your mistake and had to reduce your core speed to avoid looking silly.

I could have reduced my voltage to stock so that CPUz and EasyTune showed the same number (as you did), but that wouldn't prove that the E6400 runs fine at that voltage without going anywhere near 80C. And that was the entire point of my post.

The E6400 will run stably at stock voltages with the stock fan @ 2.8GHz, which is an accurate comparison to your E6600 @ 3.0GHz. So I have no idea what you're trying to prove with this.

That heat graph doesn't prove a thing, other than the fact that a 120mm fan at 1300RPM cools better than an 80mm fan at 2930RPM. But, the heat sinks, mounting, and thermal paste all play a role in the result too.

I suspect your CPU cooler chart's author tossed these fans on the CPU without allowing the thermal paste to set. It wouldn't really matter for a basic comparison between the coolers, as long as they were all seated correctly and use the same thermal paste. Or maybe it was crap paste to begin with, as we use Arctic Alumina. Otherwise I can't explain those poor results, and I sure can't duplicate them on our systems.

Just because an overclocked system starts and runs a few programs doesn't mean its stable. My system will boot at 3.2GHz with stock voltages too, and probably not error under normal circumstances. Big deal. I constantly benchmark so being stable is important. Run Prime95 for 24 hrs with stock voltages and no errors on a E6400 @ 3.2GHz and then I'll be impressed. It has to be run on both cores at the same time to give an accurate result. Anything short of that proves nothing. I'd have to see those screen shots to believe it. (You'll have to google how to run Prime95 on both cores at the same time as I can't be bothered explaining it nor looking it up for you.)

Oh wait, you don't have a E6400 to test. I guess you'll just have to take my word for it, or find someone who can prove me wrong, because you can't.

You either didn't understand my point about the video from the beginning or disagreed with it. Either way, I couldn't care less. I still feel the same about the video. It doesn't show anything special about that peltier cooler as is. I can come pretty close to that temp with my fan turned all the way up. And BTW, I didn't even have my back case fan connected for that screen shot.

Overclocking a C2D is nothing more than raising FSB, and vcore voltage at some point, and if you go high enough MCH voltage at some point (although most people won't get that far unless they have a very good motherboard). Anyone can do it. Making your system stable, and proving it to be so is a little more complicated.

I've owned a custom computer business for over 6 years now. I've built hundreds of systems and overclocked more than I can count. I posted my results to show that they don't jive with your statements. Even with the evidence staring you in the face, you refuse to accept the results. I'm fine with you thinking whatever you want because I'm less than impressed with your knowledge and your manners.

Have a nice day. :)

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Increase your voltage and see if it shows on CPUz. It won't because the top box in CPUz is the processor's factory settings (same as the 2.4GHz in your case, etc.). The bottom box is actuals and doesn't include voltage. Apparently you saw your mistake and had to reduce your core speed to avoid looking silly.

ok, you are more stupid than i thought. It's 3:18 pm here. tomorrow morning you'll have a screenshot with cpuz voltages. I won't even waste my time reading the rest of your post

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
as you can see and I said above, cpuz and everest shows actual and real vcore, and only core temp shows stock.

66uxljs.jpg

have fun mr. knows-it-all with 6 years selling computers

darklife41

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
What I've just discovered is that on my wife's Asus 955, CPUz does move around, where it doesn't on my Gigabyte. On neither board is it accurate according to what BIOS is set to. So obviously a flaw in CPUz with some motherboards. My sincere appologies. :)