greenjizz

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2003
Ok like everyone else I'm in need of a new computer and Conroe looks pretty sweet. I also have a few questions relating to mobo's and video card combinations. Let me first tell you what I was looking at buying and I can get your input.

1. CPU - I'm looking at buying the E6600 and want to OC it a bit nothing crazy.
2. Mobo - Here is where I have the biggest problem as I'm not real sure there is a proper or great mobo out on the market today and I heard that ATI is working on RD600 which will be compatible with Crossfire and have a 3rd slot for a physics card? Right now I could choose the P5B (965) or the P5W (975X) I guess. Also should I wait for a Rev 2 or 3 motherboard or is Rev 1 ok?
3. Video Card - ATI x1950 Crossfire. I'm not sure how this will work on the above motherboards as I thought someone told me it works only at pci-e 8x and not 16x?
4. RAM - I have no idea all I know is I should maybe buy Crossair or ocz but speed wise I need some help.

Bascially I want to upgrade from my P4 2.6 and ATI 9800pro to something a little more recent for video games mostly. I also don't want to make a purchase if the new technology isn't really ready as I would like to make this cpmouter as future proof as possible. I've had my computer for 3 1/2 years now and would like to get at least 2-3 good years out of the new system I buy. I understand comuters change so quickly that nothing is future proof but as long as I can play my games for 2 years I'm good.

Sorry for the long winded post but any help at all would be very much appreciated.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
ok ok I think youre getting a bit ahead of time here. If you want the promised third slot for physx and native crossfire support for X1950XT also rev3 of the mobos, you really need to wait 2 to 3 months.
Right now, what I would get would be the Asus 975X (the one thats around $270) and the cheapest 6400 memory with timings 4-4-4-12 you can find. Also a very cheap X1900XTX because IMO there wont be much improvement with the new DX9 cards.

greenjizz

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2003
I don't really know if I want the 3rd slot for physics as by the time I can really use it will it really be worth while? It was more for the crossfire support and if it will work better that the other motherboards. As well will it have better overclocking? I guess we wont know about the overclocking until it comes out.

Very helpful info rwaritsdario, thx.

Zelus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
I'm going to say that you should really forget about the whole, "Boundless Gaming" promise ATI made. The merger with AMD really threw that off. Intel has managed to convince several manufactures to avoid RD600 like the plague... in fact only one company is going to go for it (DFI). With so little support, its easy to see why ATI is letting the "boundless gaming" concept die quietly.

Though Intel shouldn't be blamed too much for this. Several companies already said they weren't going to go for 3x PCIx16 slots, because they felt the market was too small and didn't allow for nearly as many options. I remember looking at a DFI roadmap, and I don't think the two RD600 boards they're making have the 3x PCIx16 slots, I seem to remember them only have two.

In my opinion, ATI and Nvidia will likely end up integrating the physics processing with the GPU (sometime after G80 and R600), rather than create a seperate card for it.

If you want to get the RD600, you should do it because you want the automatic overclocking, not boundless gaming. I don't see it happening.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
I'm going to say that you should really forget about the whole, "Boundless Gaming" promise ATI made. The merger with AMD really threw that off. Intel has managed to convince several manufactures to avoid RD600 like the plague... in fact only one company is going to go for it (DFI). With so little support, its easy to see why ATI is letting the "boundless gaming" concept die quietly.

Though Intel shouldn't be blamed too much for this. Several companies already said they weren't going to go for 3x PCIx16 slots, because they felt the market was too small and didn't allow for nearly as many options. I remember looking at a DFI roadmap, and I don't think the two RD600 boards they're making have the 3x PCIx16 slots, I seem to remember them only have two.

In my opinion, ATI and Nvidia will likely end up integrating the physics processing with the GPU (sometime after G80 and R600), rather than create a seperate card for it.

If you want to get the RD600, you should do it because you want the automatic overclocking, not boundless gaming. I don't see it happening.

I wonder if it's going to be possible to run a PCI-E card as a physics card on a 975 board with two PCI-E slots? Would be interesting :)

purdueguy

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
If you want this computer to last 2-3 years without any upgrades, then I would wait until the DX10 compatible cards come out supposedly by the end of the year. That's only 3 months away.

Otherwise, getting an X1950XTX is not that much of an improvement over the X1900XTX. Hopefully Newegg will get more of these in before the end of the month. MSI RX1900XTX Save yourself some money.

CPU: E6600 is a good choice.

Mobo: I'd get the P5B and save the money. But if you have the money and want dual GPU's then go for the P5W.

RAM: Since you plan on doing a little OC'ing: Corsair XMS2

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
If you want this computer to last 2-3 years without any upgrades, then I would wait until the DX10 compatible cards come out supposedly by the end of the year. That's only 3 months away.

Otherwise, getting an X1950XTX is not that much of an improvement over the X1900XTX. Hopefully Newegg will get more of these in before the end of the month. MSI RX1900XTX Save yourself some money.

CPU: E6600 is a good choice.
Ill second that.

RAM: Since you plan on doing a little OC'ing: Corsair XMS2
You wont go anywhere with tht CAS5 RAM. If you want to OC get non-OCZ CAS4.
If you want to go cheap on the RAM, ild recommed getting DRR2 533 CAS3. This way youll be synchonized with your FSB wich added to the low timings will give you a performance boost over any DRR2 667.