volume becomes self-contained.

--
Will
Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

Esquire

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Can you not set a dual boot system? i.e. 1 OS on 1 drive and another OS on
another drive?

"Will" wrote:

> Why is it that with Dynamic boot volumes you cannot select a
> specific partition and mark it as active? Boot.ini is NOT a
> good substitute for marking the partition as active, which you
> can do with a Basic partition. With Boot.ini, you end up
> having two volumes marked as system or boot and it creates all
> kinds of complex interdependencies between the volume used to
> boot and the one that holds the active OS that are very difficult
> to maintain and keep running. When you can mark a partition as
> Active, that affects which volume is the boot volume and that
> volume becomes self-contained.
>
> --
> Will
> Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Yes, of course, but it is a lot less convenient, and it creates a hassle
when you need to grab files that were on the other devices.

I've also run into situations where after making a mirror of a bootable
device the mirror was not bootable. I end up having to hack the partition
table to mark the Dynamic drive as Basic. I then mark it as Active. I
then upgrade it to Dynamic. That almost always works, but if I could
simply select any partition of a Dynamic drive and mark it as Active all of
those very low-level, very dangerous steps would be avoided.

To me it seems like a simple design oversight to not allow this feature.

--
Will