file permissions-read only also no copy

one person given read only permission is also able to copy the file
even though he cannot modify it.

is there any way of solving this problem

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/File-System-permissions-read-copy-ftopict419550.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1401412

Barry

"stephentijus" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> one person given read only permission is also able to copy the file
> even though he cannot modify it.
>
> is there any way of solving this problem

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/File-System-permissions-read-copy-ftopict419550.html

copy it to where? If they can read it then they can copy it to a directory
that they have writer permission to...

"" wrote:
> "stephentijus" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in
> message
> > one person given read only permission is also able to copy
> the file
> > even though he cannot modify it.
> >
> > is there any way of solving this problem
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
> > request
> standards
> > Topic URL:
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/File-System-permissions-read-copy-ftopict419550.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report
> abuse:
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1401412
>
> copy it to where? If they can read it then they can copy it to
> a directory
> that they have writer permission to...

that is not what i meant.

the users with read only access are copying the documents onto their
notebooks and taking it with them.

other users have write access to these documents so cant just put the
password protect for the documents.

this is a big securtiy risk

so i want to know whether we can restrict users from copying any
documents

Barry

"stephentijus" <DoNotEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> "" wrote:
> > "stephentijus" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in
> > message
> > > one person given read only permission is also able to copy
> > the file
> > > even though he cannot modify it.
> > >
> > > is there any way of solving this problem
> > >
> > > --
> > > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
> > > request
> > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet
> > standards
> > > Topic URL:
> > > http://www.windowsforumz.com/File-System-permissions-read-copy-ftopict419550.html
> > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report
> > abuse:
> > > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1401412
> >
> > copy it to where? If they can read it then they can copy it to
> > a directory
> > that they have writer permission to...
>
> that is not what i meant.
>

> the users with read only access are copying the documents onto their
> notebooks and taking it with them.

ok...

> other users have write access to these documents so cant just put the
> password protect for the documents.

not sure what you mean. Others have write access to the original?

> this is a big securtiy risk

What is?

> so i want to know whether we can restrict users from copying any
> documents

As I said, if someone has read permission to the file, then they can copy it
to anywhere where they have write permission.

seanbrockest

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
in short, no.

If you want them to be able to read the document, they can then also copy it.

You cannot have a "for your eyes only" restriction on files.