Hopelessly stuck in Spire -- Possible Spoilers!

Tags:
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
October 21, 2004 11:56:30 PM

I have been wandering around in Spire, on and off, for over a week now
and think I am finally stuck! As with the other Myst games, i find
myself convinced that I know the answer to something, get a little way
with it and then up crashing into the same brick wall!

I have charged the keyboard with 36 units of power, enough to get me to
the very lowest level in the throne: where the three cogs are. Going
from Sirrus' comments nearby, I'm guessing that these cogs "tighten"
something that allow perfect harmonics to be played above, but so far I
have been unable to set them correctly. Originally, i thought that the
number of sides on the cog symbols were important (L-R: 5,1,6) but this
isn't the case. Perhaps they relate to the number of sides on a
crystal? Then i noticed that throughout the Age, there are larger
crystals set into the rock with a gauge. I have found two of these
crystals with a setting 7 and 5. So far I have been unable to find a
third crystal with a similar gauge. There is one above the cloud layer
(perhaps in Sirrus' workshop) but no indication of a number anywhere
near.

I have also read in Sirrus' journal about sliding down "windpipes".
Again, i have found two of these pipes (one takes me to the dock, the
other to the throne room) but suspect there is a third. I have looked
all around the age and not found one. I'm hoping that if there is a
third windpipe then this will take me to another large crystal and I'll
get the final number for the tuning cogs.

Also, I have not managed to illuminate one of the symbols on the
electrical keyboard: the one that looks like a Pawn and similar in
shape to the crystals to the giant segmented instrument below the
throne room. If there is an area I am missing then hopeully another
electrical panel might light this...?

Am i on the right track or have i missed something completely? I'd be
interested in some gentle pointers! So far, i haven't been tempted to
resort to the in-game help but i feel my resolve weakening...

TIA
Paul

More about : hopelessly stuck spire spoilers

October 22, 2004 12:10:51 AM

"Ghostlight" <ghostlight76@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have been wandering around in Spire, on and off, for over a week now
> and think I am finally stuck! As with the other Myst games, i find
> myself convinced that I know the answer to something, get a little way
> with it and then up crashing into the same brick wall!
>
> I have charged the keyboard with 36 units of power, enough to get me to
> the very lowest level in the throne: where the three cogs are. Going
> from Sirrus' comments nearby, I'm guessing that these cogs "tighten"
> something that allow perfect harmonics to be played above, but so far I
> have been unable to set them correctly. Originally, i thought that the
> number of sides on the cog symbols were important (L-R: 5,1,6) but this
> isn't the case. Perhaps they relate to the number of sides on a
> crystal? Then i noticed that throughout the Age, there are larger
> crystals set into the rock with a gauge. I have found two of these
> crystals with a setting 7 and 5. So far I have been unable to find a
> third crystal with a similar gauge. There is one above the cloud layer
> (perhaps in Sirrus' workshop) but no indication of a number anywhere
> near.
>
> I have also read in Sirrus' journal about sliding down "windpipes".
> Again, i have found two of these pipes (one takes me to the dock, the
> other to the throne room) but suspect there is a third. I have looked
> all around the age and not found one. I'm hoping that if there is a
> third windpipe then this will take me to another large crystal and I'll
> get the final number for the tuning cogs.
>
> Also, I have not managed to illuminate one of the symbols on the
> electrical keyboard: the one that looks like a Pawn and similar in
> shape to the crystals to the giant segmented instrument below the
> throne room. If there is an area I am missing then hopeully another
> electrical panel might light this...?
>
> Am i on the right track or have i missed something completely? I'd be
> interested in some gentle pointers! So far, i haven't been tempted to
> resort to the in-game help but i feel my resolve weakening...
>
> TIA
> Paul
You are perfectly on track. The third windpipe is one you don't slide down
but climb down. Near one end of it is a viewer through which you can see a
gauge. Study the shape of the cross-section of each windpipe. Forget about
the pawn symbol for the time being.
Nick.
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 12:32:01 AM

In article <gYWdnZJumvghlOXcRVnyrQ@pipex.net>, Nick <no_bother@all>
wrote:

> "Ghostlight" <ghostlight76@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I have been wandering around in Spire, on and off, for over a week now
> > and think I am finally stuck! As with the other Myst games, i find
> > myself convinced that I know the answer to something, get a little way
> > with it and then up crashing into the same brick wall!
> >
> > I have charged the keyboard with 36 units of power, enough to get me to
> > the very lowest level in the throne: where the three cogs are. Going
> > from Sirrus' comments nearby, I'm guessing that these cogs "tighten"
> > something that allow perfect harmonics to be played above, but so far I
> > have been unable to set them correctly. Originally, i thought that the
> > number of sides on the cog symbols were important (L-R: 5,1,6) but this
> > isn't the case. Perhaps they relate to the number of sides on a
> > crystal? Then i noticed that throughout the Age, there are larger
> > crystals set into the rock with a gauge. I have found two of these
> > crystals with a setting 7 and 5. So far I have been unable to find a
> > third crystal with a similar gauge. There is one above the cloud layer
> > (perhaps in Sirrus' workshop) but no indication of a number anywhere
> > near.
> >
> > I have also read in Sirrus' journal about sliding down "windpipes".
> > Again, i have found two of these pipes (one takes me to the dock, the
> > other to the throne room) but suspect there is a third. I have looked
> > all around the age and not found one. I'm hoping that if there is a
> > third windpipe then this will take me to another large crystal and I'll
> > get the final number for the tuning cogs.
> >
> > Also, I have not managed to illuminate one of the symbols on the
> > electrical keyboard: the one that looks like a Pawn and similar in
> > shape to the crystals to the giant segmented instrument below the
> > throne room. If there is an area I am missing then hopeully another
> > electrical panel might light this...?
> >
> > Am i on the right track or have i missed something completely? I'd be
> > interested in some gentle pointers! So far, i haven't been tempted to
> > resort to the in-game help but i feel my resolve weakening...
> >
> > TIA
> > Paul
> You are perfectly on track. The third windpipe is one you don't slide down
> but climb down. Near one end of it is a viewer through which you can see a
> gauge. Study the shape of the cross-section of each windpipe. Forget about
> the pawn symbol for the time being.
> Nick.

Ah, so I have found all three windpipes then! The one you talk about is
on the other palace accessible by the rock ship which I have been to. I
got the gauge number by looking through and still missing the third
number though. Logic tells me it will be found near each corresponding
windpipe....

I did think perhaps that the shape of each windpipe's cross section
corresponded with the cogs but abandoned this idea soon after. I'll go
back and see what I can see

Thanks again.
Paul
Related resources
October 22, 2004 2:10:29 AM

> [...]
> > > Paul
> > You are perfectly on track. The third windpipe is one you don't slide
down
> > but climb down. Near one end of it is a viewer through which you can see
> > gauge. Study the shape of the cross-section of each windpipe. Forget
about
> > the pawn symbol for the time being.
> > Nick.
> >

> Ah, so I have found all three windpipes then! The one you talk about is
> on the other palace accessible by the rock ship which I have been to. I
> got the gauge number by looking through and still missing the third
> number though. Logic tells me it will be found near each corresponding
> windpipe....
>
> I did think perhaps that the shape of each windpipe's cross section
> corresponded with the cogs but abandoned this idea soon after. I'll go

You are getting warm with this.....

Graham
January 28, 2005 12:07:39 AM

"Nick" <no_bother@all> wrote in message

> "Ghostlight" <ghostlight76@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I have also read in Sirrus' journal about sliding down
>> "windpipes".
>> Again, i have found two of these pipes (one takes me to the
>> dock, the
>> other to the throne room) but suspect there is a third. I
>> have looked
>> all around the age and not found one. I'm hoping that if
>> there is a
>> third windpipe then this will take me to another large
>> crystal and I'll
>> get the final number for the tuning cogs.
>>
>> Paul
>
> You are perfectly on track. The third windpipe is one you
> don't slide down
> but climb down. Near one end of it is a viewer through which
> you can see a
> gauge. Study the shape of the cross-section of each windpipe.
> Forget about
> the pawn symbol for the time being.
> Nick.

I looked at that viewer for a while, but didn't get the blue
button to do anything, and didn't notice the other buttons. I
ended up guessing what the cable tension needed to be for the
one cable I hadn't found. I only today went back, having
finished the whole game a few days ago, found the other buttons
and used the viewer properly. I too was looking for a good
while for another wind-pipe. And I think there must be a
"continuity error" if the third wind-pipe is the pipe on the
second palace. The three windpipes are very obviously mentioned
in Sirrus's journal well before he even has the idea of
travelling to the second palace. It was that which delayed me
looking on the main palace for another path I hadn't spotted.
In the end I never found it so gave in and guessed.

Neil
!