Sign in with
Your question

Need a decent 7 cehap upgrade path

Last response: in Systems
September 7, 2006 4:09:05 PM

I need to update my 4 year old system. This is the main family PC. Not a lot of gaming. Some video & picture editting and some software development (C, C++, Java). I would like to move to an Intel Core 2 or possibly the AMD equivalent. I am concerned about heat as the PC is in a small cabinet with decent airflow.

I would also like to retain the video card for now or move to onboard video which I can upgrade at a later date.

Here are my current system specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8PE667ULTRA ATX
CPU: Pentium 4 2.4GHz
Memory: 2xCrucial 256MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 266 (PC 2100)
PSU: ATX12V 350W
Video: ATI Radeon 9200 AGP
Fans: 1 x 80mm (case also have side duct over CPU)
Drives: 80GB 7200 RPM SATA
250GB 7200 RPM SATA
NEC DVD Burner
Polaroid CDRW Drive

Any suggestions on a motherboard & cpu combo. I saw an earlier post mentioning the ASRock 939 Dual-SATA2 mb but it seems to be no longer available.....

Oh yea - I do not really mess with overclocking very much so that is not a concern.

Thanks!
September 7, 2006 5:18:34 PM

For the sake of heat..... I'll suggest a Core 2 build (outlined below) instead of an AMD. I don't your budget but I will try to keep it as low as I can.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3

RAM: OCZ Gold 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR2-800

Video Card: eVGA Geforce 7600GT

Case: Antec Sonata II <--- This one comes with an Antec 450W Smartpower PSU, which will be enough for this system.

Hard Drives and the DVD burner can be reused. Lose the CD Burner that's already in there.... there's no need for it.

Total before taxes and shipping (assuming you live in the US): $679.96
September 7, 2006 5:40:21 PM

yeah i aggree go core 2 duo it will ,even the youngest of the c2d family (e6300), give you a big boost in performance to your old P4 using netburst.

everything the prophecy said about components should be fine.

i think the case is a good one my friend has it, its alright though perhaps the lack of front intake cooling is not that brilliant but it has at least got a 120mm exaust fan at the rear rather than a 80mm noisy fan. :p 
Related resources
September 7, 2006 6:22:22 PM

As gaming isn't a priority, I'd drop the 7600 for something cheaper and bump it up to 2gb RAM.
September 7, 2006 6:30:42 PM

yeah or you could do that but if he plays a a game and goes with a cheaper card then he might not be so pleased, i mean although it isnt a priority the game might not feel the same as he could (only could) be unhappy with a slideshow (although it does depend on what games he very occasionally plays) :? or get a good 7300gt? hmm i think i would do what phopecy said get a 7600gt
September 7, 2006 7:05:27 PM

The Asrock 775Dual-VSTA will save you quite a bit of money and it will allow you to keep your existing graphics card with room to upgrade to a PCI-E card later.

You could put the money saved towards an E6600.

I would also recommend a minimum of 2GB of RAM. I would say a value type RAM from G.Skill or Patriot will suit your needs just fine.
September 7, 2006 8:11:20 PM

Quote:
yeah or you could do that but if he plays a a game and goes with a cheaper card then he might not be so pleased, i mean although it isnt a priority the game might not feel the same as he could (only could) be unhappy with a slideshow (although it does depend on what games he very occasionally plays) Confused or get a good 7300gt? hmm i think i would do what phopecy said get a 7600gt

I agree to a certain extent, but I'd rather spend more on 2gb RAM which would be in use all the time than a flashier GPU that would be used occasionally.

Same goes for a 6600, it'll be much more use than a better GPU.

That ASRock board would be quite a good idea, although to be perfectly honest any IGP is better than that 9200, so any of the money saved by not having to buy a new graphics card would be pretty much wasted on anything else with a 9200 still in the system.
!