Sign in with
Your question

How are extra disks added to a pc? which IDE card to use?

Last response: in Systems
September 7, 2006 5:19:16 PM

Hi all

I want to add more disk drives to my pc. Have disks and CD drives already, have a computer, but question mark in the middle. how to connect up 1, 2 or 5 disks to a computer?

There are the IDE adapter cards, plug into the PCI slot and hook up the connectors. if its a 2 IDE card, then that means 4 devices?

is there a IDE card with more than just 2 ports? 2 cable connectors?

I saw one with 4 but it had firewire and usb and cost 160.00 no way, I just want extra ports and 160 is way too much. There were some 2 port IDE cards, but is 2 all most of them come with?

the default is to just buy 3 of them, and also hope windows XP will easily find them all.

thanks for any advice
September 7, 2006 5:25:25 PM

Save yourself the time and hastle of getting more PATA drives and make the move to SATA. For the amount you would spend on add-in cards and new hard drives, you could probably build yourself a low end system with lots of SATA ports.
September 10, 2006 9:38:08 PM

Right, I realize SATA is by far easier to do this.

The issue is, I have many PATA, older IDE disks that I need to get useage out of

unless there is some SATA interface, and a SATA to old IDE converter thing thats less than $5.00?

hard to believe its this hard to add a bunch of old disks to a computer
Related resources
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
September 10, 2006 10:08:42 PM

There are the IDE adapter cards, plug into the PCI slot and hook up the connectors. if its a 2 IDE card, then that means 4 devices? Correct.
Quote:
The issue is, I have many PATA, older IDE disks that I need to get useage out of
How many do you need to use? Do you need to use them all at the same time? Why do you need to get usage out of them?
The IDE card maybe the least of your worries. How will you power the HDs and extra IDE cards in your system?
Spend $60 and get a 160GB HD and move the data off all the older HDs.
September 11, 2006 5:30:44 PM

How many? at least 8 disk drives. why? because they are operational and can be put to use.

It would be nice to also use up some of the cdroms sitting around, maybe put 4 of those into the box

power is no problem. I can add power supplies and splice wires together

I thought there was a cheap 4 IDE port card on the market. I did happen to find an odd item, it takes a PCI slot and turns it sideways to make 3 PCI slots from a flat computer. so maybe that could be dropped in with 3 of the regular IDE expansion cards on it?

Ive tried connecting the disks up one by one, they are so fragile. with the external usb disk adapter thing, sometimes a disk will work? sometimes not. so Im tired of wasting time trying to connect them, singing a lullaby, sprinkling special water on them, etc hoping they will work. just hook the things up and thats it.

so the idea is to make use of the disks sitting there, thanks
September 11, 2006 8:13:42 PM

Quote:
...splice wires together

This sounds like a VERY bad idea.
Quote:
I thought there was a cheap 4 IDE port card on the market.

Well, you can run 2 IDE drives per IDE port. The type of card you're looking for is obsolescent now, so I would look on ebay. Here are some examples:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2-CHANNEL-PCI-ULTRA-ATA-133-IDE...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Adaptec-1233-Ultra-ATA-PCI-Host-Ada...

Quote:

I did happen to find an odd item, it takes a PCI slot and turns it sideways to make 3 PCI slots from a flat computer. so maybe that could be dropped in with 3 of the regular IDE expansion cards on it?

Bad idea - it won't be reliable.
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
September 11, 2006 10:44:57 PM

There are 4 channel ATA cards but I think they're all RAID oriented (Promise Technology FASTTRAK SX4060 is a four channel ATA card)
Always be sure to check motherboard and HD compatibility.

Having multiple IDE cards of the same type might raise an IRQ problem. I dont know how flexible the IRQ settings are - they usually dont have many optional IRQ choices.

By the time you've purchased the PCI adapter cards, power supplies and cabling, etc., you'll end up spending more than 1 shiny new, big hard drive. (To say nothing of the time you'll save trying to do major mods to your sytem to handle 12 new IDE devices)
I still recommend a new drive, moving the data off the old hard disks and then giving them "honorable retirement".
September 12, 2006 4:51:44 AM

Any IDE / PCI card will work. I just used a pair of cheap "syba" brand dual-ide cards like these from newegg and it works great. I did disable the onboard legacy serial and parallel ports to help free up some irq resources but it works with my pci sound card, gig-e pci card, on-board dual ethernet and the on-board usb. With the four ide ports on the card and the two on-board I used all 12 ide device capacity. Turned out ok I guess, I just replaced a dying 80gb with a 400gb drive recently and it is close to 1.9TB now...

Mondo had a killer find on that ebay deal, should work like a champ. I have to agree if you add the second psu don't splice the power between them since it is bad to have varying voltage sources share the same node - just let them both run independently (dual-rail), and have one power the mobo and the other one power all other devices. Yes I also was too cheap to just buy a bigger psu, and wanted to get some re-use out of the old ones just laying around - here's a couple of ideas if you're adding a second junk psu:

I added this psu to help my old 250w gain some stability with 6hdd's and a overclocked 9800 pro. The 250w was dedicated to all the hdd's and the secondary gpu power. I eventually upgraded to the case in the first pic background, a cheap TT420AD psu was able to handle it all.

My fileserver before getting the 500w x-nav case above. I had to add the second 250w PSU to the original 300w since after the 6th hdd upgrade, it would not even post. I think I hit 15 devices (including scsi) without any issues. The 250w was dedicated to the HDD/CD/floppy drives.

Were all fun projects - well maybe not as fun as assembling all new parts :wink:
September 12, 2006 6:39:47 AM

I like your style! Thanks for sharing the photos and proving it can work. :trophy:
September 18, 2006 4:34:18 AM

Thanks for all the advice. so I went and bought a new full system asus p5w dh deluxe?? expensive but it has sata, remote control and wireless
something.

I got a Hitachi 160G sata drive, the old drives? too much work to try and find files here and there, too much junk to copy to another big disk

I wanted the small disks (20G and less) to be all dumped into one box so I could search as needed and save on the big disk

now Ive got to ask other questions about this new bunch of parts, so will start a new thread? questions like the salesperson said the OCZ ram is flaky and doesnt work at full speed unless you tweak it alot, its for the new Intel dual core 6400 with DDR2, its 800mhz dram but the guy said no buy this other one as the store manager said do not sell OCZ to people building new systems, only sell it for upgrade folks.

I was thinking of WC Fields when he said that.

now that I spend zillions of $ on this system, the old disks have to sit for a while again.
September 18, 2006 4:38:35 AM

and the photo of that system looks awesome, I have a similar setup but it doesnt look as nice.

the sides of my pc didnt come with that case (too big) so I used lots of packing tape.

no top and the power supply fits kind of wedged in there so it doesnt fall on the dram, there is an extra fan because the fan doesnt always work, just makes funny noises; aluminum foil for the rest. gotta use a ball point pen to start it

it would be humiliating to take a photo of it, then post it here for everyone to see and laugh at me, so please dont ask
!