Myst IV won't install - gets stuck on disc 2

I'm trying to install Myst IV to my desktop system and it keeps getting
stuck (drive light flashes as if reading, HD light on as if writing, but
progress bar never moves) and I've waited nearly two hours before abandoning
the process. It's happened twice in a row.

Are there known bugs with the install routines? My system doesn't meet the
minimum specs, but I would expect any problems that caused to occur when I
try to run it, not during install..

Athlon 1.0 GHz
256 MB RAM
Asus A7V-133 mobo
ATI Radeon 9200 w/ 128 MB RAM
12x DVDROM

Any help would be very... helpful

B-

If your system does not meet the min requirements, it can have installation
trouble as well as running issues.

I've had a few games that acted the same way that Myst IV is on your desktop
on another system I used to have that didn't meet the min req. The tech
support for those games told me, when I contacted them, that the games may
crash during installation. I eventually had to wait until I got a better
system before I could play those games.

The thing with M4 is that it has a very small range of supported hardware.
Some of the hardware may not even be listed. The UbiSoft Web Site has
updated the M4 area on the tech support area of M4. It may have answers to
your problem(s). If not, I may have a couple ways around it-it worked for 2
of the games that wouldn't run on my other system.

Scott

PS. The Disc could be defective. It happened to me with Uru & had to order
another set. Just make sure you have enough Hard Drive space. M4 takes about
8 GB of space.
"Testosterone" <no.spam@for.me> wrote in message
> I'm trying to install Myst IV to my desktop system and it keeps getting
> stuck (drive light flashes as if reading, HD light on as if writing, but
> progress bar never moves) and I've waited nearly two hours before
> abandoning
> the process. It's happened twice in a row.
>
> Are there known bugs with the install routines? My system doesn't meet
> the
> minimum specs, but I would expect any problems that caused to occur when I
> try to run it, not during install..
>
> Athlon 1.0 GHz
> 256 MB RAM
> Asus A7V-133 mobo
> ATI Radeon 9200 w/ 128 MB RAM
> 12x DVDROM
>
> Any help would be very... helpful
>
> B-

This may sound obvious but give it a try. Clean the disk, even if it
looks clean. Using a soft cloth (like the kind you clean eye glasses
with) wipe from the center straight out towards the edge, not in
circles. Then try it.

-Melissa

In article <ETled.1446$C_6.1333@trnddc04>,
"Testosterone" <no.spam@for.me> wrote:

> I'm trying to install Myst IV to my desktop system and it keeps getting
> stuck (drive light flashes as if reading, HD light on as if writing, but
> progress bar never moves) and I've waited nearly two hours before abandoning
> the process. It's happened twice in a row.
>
> Are there known bugs with the install routines? My system doesn't meet the
> minimum specs, but I would expect any problems that caused to occur when I
> try to run it, not during install..
>
> Athlon 1.0 GHz
> 256 MB RAM
> Asus A7V-133 mobo
> ATI Radeon 9200 w/ 128 MB RAM
> 12x DVDROM
>
> Any help would be very... helpful
>
> B-

Thanks for the suggestions. It seems that it's a problem with the copy
protection that makes my DVD drive not like the disc during installation. I
fixed the issue by copying all the files from both DVDs over to my HD and
installing it from there. I still need to have the DVD in the drive to run
it, of course, but it's not required to install if from the DVD. So I'm up
and running and Ubi is still enjoying their copy protection and everyone is
happy... for now.

BTW, mea culpa; my system does meet the minimum specs.

--

Brian-

"Melissa" <nospam@nospam.com.invalid> wrote in message
> This may sound obvious but give it a try. Clean the disk, even if it
> looks clean. Using a soft cloth (like the kind you clean eye glasses
> with) wipe from the center straight out towards the edge, not in
> circles. Then try it.
>
> -Melissa
>

> In article <ETled.1446$C_6.1333@trnddc04>,
> "Testosterone" <no.spam@for.me> wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to install Myst IV to my desktop system and it keeps getting
> > stuck (drive light flashes as if reading, HD light on as if writing, but
> > progress bar never moves) and I've waited nearly two hours before
abandoning
> > the process. It's happened twice in a row.
> >
> > Are there known bugs with the install routines? My system doesn't meet
the
> > minimum specs, but I would expect any problems that caused to occur when
> > try to run it, not during install..
> >
> > Athlon 1.0 GHz
> > 256 MB RAM
> > Asus A7V-133 mobo
> > ATI Radeon 9200 w/ 128 MB RAM
> > 12x DVDROM
> >
> > Any help would be very... helpful
> >
> > B-

It appears I have a similar problem. I get through the first disc on the
installation and it asks for the second. I cannot get the first disc to
eject. Eventually I get the BSOD TFSNIFS.SYS error.

There was mention of copying the discs to your HD. Did you just create a
new folder, copied both discs to it and start the setup from disc one?

It appears I have a similar problem. I get through the first disc on the
installation and it asks for the second. I cannot get the first disc to
eject. Eventually I get the BSOD TFSNIFS.SYS error.

There was mention of copying the discs to your HD. Did you just create a
new folder, copied both discs to it and start the setup from disc one?

Homeimps

Honorable
To Brian or anyone who can help: Brian wrote that he copied the files from both discs to his hard drive and runs the game from there. I'm having the same problem with Disc 2 not being accepted during installation and I don't understand how to copy files off it to my hard drive when my DVD drive won't even recognize it.

BTW, I installed Myst 4 off the same dvd's onto the same computer about 3 years ago and tested it and it ran just fine. Then when I tried to play it a few days ago, I put in Disc 1 at first; it asked for Disc 2 and when I put that in the trouble started; it keeps asking me to put a disc in the drive but when I do it just makes some clicking sounds and never starts spinning. I've tried closing down Norton, wiped any suspicious hardware off my hard drive and also tried the Myst4-103-nDVD.zip patch, but nothing works.

Any help would be much appreciated!