Sign in with
Your question

Intel not looking so hot after all

Last response: in CPUs
September 7, 2006 6:12:36 PM

It looks like Intel maybe in trouble for the long run.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/09/07/enderle_where_intel_w...

More about : intel hot

September 7, 2006 7:00:45 PM

Meh.
Restructuring.
I wouldn't worry.
They're hiring etc also.
Stock market is fickle.
Especially tech stocks.
Due to dynism.
Excuse my spelling/grammar.
Intel is fine and this doesn't keep us from getting a great new chip+future chips.
Related resources
September 7, 2006 7:40:46 PM

the guy seemed to be only looking on the negative side of intels decision the entire article. poorly written imo, maybe if he would have touched base on the positive reason and/or intel's reason for laying off it would have been a more fair article. the last few paragraphs he is saying "rejoice amd, intel is now weaker", what is that all about?

i could've wrote the same article about amd and how rediculous there acquisition or ati was or i could also note that it gives amd a future and a more solid base to compete with amd, which is what intel is going for with their planned layoff...

both situations have pros and cons, he just never seemed to look at the pros in this article which is like listening to a fanboy preach...
September 7, 2006 7:42:58 PM

So Intel has some problems. Conroe isn't selling quite as well as expected, isn't quite living up to the expectations that had been promised, and worse, the motherboards for it are buggy for the moment. The motherboard problems will get fixed in time, reality will come to Conroe and people will figure out that its still a good cpu selling for a reasonable cost, at least the lower end ones, and a few fantasy expectations will be dashed.

So what if Intel has a few problems for the moment. As long as Intel doesn't go down a path of self destruction, it will recover and in a couple years, the present problems will be seen as nothing more than a hiccup, businesswise.

If AMD is really smart, it may be able to increase a few percentage points in the marketplace, but AMD has a few problems of its own to work through. Only the future is going to give us any real answers, and my crystal ball doesn't see those answers for the time being. As a result, I'm not going to think about the subject too much.
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2006 7:58:27 PM

Quote:
So Intel has some problems. Conroe isn't selling quite as well as expected, isn't quite living up to the expectations that had been promised, and worse, the motherboards for it are buggy for the moment. The motherboard problems will get fixed in time, reality will come to Conroe and people will figure out that its still a good cpu selling for a reasonable cost, at least the lower end ones, and a few fantasy expectations will be dashed.

So what if Intel has a few problems for the moment. As long as Intel doesn't go down a path of self destruction, it will recover and in a couple years, the present problems will be seen as nothing more than a hiccup, businesswise.

If AMD is really smart, it may be able to increase a few percentage points in the marketplace, but AMD has a few problems of its own to work through. Only the future is going to give us any real answers, and my crystal ball doesn't see those answers for the time being. As a result, I'm not going to think about the subject too much.

It's all relative.. Inte's Core 2's are selling VERY well. I mean the number aren't there mainly do to the fact that Intel isn't producing enough..lol. They're often sold out and on backorder. This hasn't happened to a processor since the Pentium !!!.

Don't believe me.. check out http://www.shoprbc.com
Go to the CPU's.. they have a realtime supplier query beside each CPU.. check out the amount of units available and on back order. This is for Canada of course but it's been the same worldwide. The articles claiming it's selling slowly are biased and not taking into account that Core 2 Duo sales are selling at maximum capacity (and more).

Most stores in Ottawa, Canada (ShopRBC, PC Cyber) have seen there Athlon64 sales become nearly inexistant and replaced by Core 2 Duo sales. When I went to pick up some computer parts there was a lineup of gamers buying all nearly the same gear.. P5WDH Deluxe and a Core 2 Duo 6600.. like 12 of them one after the other and they weren't even related (didn't know each other).

They're selling quite nicely.. don't worry.. things are finally looking up for Intel and I hope AMD strikes back with something even better.. ;) 

It's quite simple.. if you don't believe me.. email Rob@shoprbc.com and ask him first hand...

PS.. they're primarly an AMD reseller too..lol
September 7, 2006 8:25:24 PM

ElmoIsevil wrote:
Quote:
Sailer wrote:

It's all relative.. Inte's Core 2's are selling VERY well. I mean the number aren't there mainly do to the fact that Intel isn't producing enough..lol. They're often sold out and on backorder. This hasn't happened to a processor since the Pentium !!!.

Don't believe me.. check out http://www.shoprbc.com
Go to the CPU's.. they have a realtime supplier query beside each CPU.. check out the amount of units available and on back order. This is for Canada of course but it's been the same worldwide. The articles claiming it's selling slowly are biased and not taking into account that Core 2 Duo sales are selling at maximum capacity (and more).

Most stores in Ottawa, Canada (ShopRBC, PC Cyber) have seen there Athlon64 sales become nearly inexistant and replaced by Core 2 Duo sales. When I went to pick up some computer parts there was a lineup of gamers buying all nearly the same gear.. P5WDH Deluxe and a Core 2 Duo 6600.. like 12 of them one after the other and they weren't even related (didn't know each other).

They're selling quite nicely.. don't worry.. things are finally looking up for Intel and I hope AMD strikes back with something even better..

It's quite simple.. if you don't believe me.. email Rob@shoprbc.com and ask him first hand...

PS.. they're primarly an AMD reseller too..lol

What E said ^ plus any site that I have trusted for any length of time to give legit previews were pretty much spot on with the performance we're seeing out of the C2D. So not sure why you say it isn't living up to expectations. Its almost exactly where I and many other "old hats" expected it to be when released, shrug.

The only problem I do see at the moment is short supply compared to demand and some motherboards ARE proving a little flaky. That is one reason I put off buying a mobo until there are a few more to choose from. The 590s should hit soon and then we'll see how that goes.
September 7, 2006 8:25:57 PM

Yeah, Intel is doing fine. We even have Core 2 Duo through the official channel here in Serbia and the prices are ok.
September 7, 2006 8:35:11 PM

Quote:
It looks like Intel maybe in trouble for the long run.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/09/07/enderle_where_intel_w...

It amazes me.

AMD struggled for years, and is still struggling yet they've done a phenominal job an hopefully are still doing so. Now, Intel cuts some fat, and it's "the sky is falling".

Intel and AMD Fanboys Unite!
.......and off each other
September 7, 2006 8:55:31 PM

Yep sorta crazy how some people over-react. They are both pretty big companies and neither are completely dumb. They'll both be around for quite a good while. No worries and competition is great anyway, ups and downs on both sides benefit us all in the long run.
September 7, 2006 10:56:47 PM

Ok. to Elmoisevil and you, what I meant by Conroe not selling very well was the total sales, not the demand. I think it would have been better if Intel had ramped up the supply so there wouldn't be so much of a back order. That's Intel's decision and not mine.

As to the expectations, perhaps what I've seen is a bit different, at least in the area where I live. For sure, the top end Conroes are great, but they're also very expensive. The mid to bottom end Conroes seem to be about par in comparison to AMD chips, so there seems to be no great advantage there, except that the overclocking of Conroe is better.

I do still believe some people, not all by any means, were expecting gains that belong in a fantasy land. If a game is held back by a video card and not a cpu, then getting a better cpu will result in few, if any, gains. I don't mean to discredit the cpu, Conroe, but only be realistic between what is real and what is make believe.

One thing that has struck me is the mass of motherboard problems that seem to be appearing. This is a problem of the motherboard manufacterors, not of Conroe, and I think those problems will be cleared up in the coming months. Of course, AMD is also having problems with this with its AM2 cpu.

For myself, unless AMD comes back with a cpu that is really great within the next 8 months or so, I plan on getting a Conroe in my next rebuild. That should give time for the motherboard problems to be taken care of and give me a nice stable machine. Maybe the prices will come down a bit too. Don't know about that, but I can hope.
September 7, 2006 11:13:09 PM

Quote:
Ok. to Elmoisevil and you, what I meant by Conroe not selling very well was the total sales, not the demand. I think it would have been better if Intel had ramped up the supply so there wouldn't be so much of a back order. That's Intel's decision and not mine.

But what about the great PR that Intel's received for launching the Conroe/Woodcrest/Merom? Intel can safely claim the performance crown with a product that isn't a paper launch (you can get chips, they just take a little time...not like they don't exist). Every month they were behind AMD in performance hurt their image. I'm surprised they waited until they had as much inventory as they did (pretty good supply actually), but it seems to be working for them.

And I think newegg definitely appreciates Intel's business decision :) .
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2006 11:22:10 PM

Why do people post things like that? Who cares? We want to see benchmarks not amateur brabbel.
September 7, 2006 11:30:52 PM

Quote:
If AMD is really smart, it may be able to increase a few percentage points in the marketplace, but AMD has a few problems of its own to work through.

I think they will get a few points in the market but AMD droped the ball with K8L they should of had it ready to ship with in a month or two of core 2. It makes me want to kick butt of the CEO at AMD. :evil:  If they would have got K8L out at the same time I think we would have had one heck of a price war going on now. Not saying we don't now but I think it would have been better. 8O

Dell is going to use 20 million amd cpu's between now and Q4 2007. This is were I think AMD is going to start taking some of the market share from Intel.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20060905065946...
September 7, 2006 11:37:49 PM

Quote:

But what about the great PR that Intel's received for launching the Conroe/Woodcrest/Merom? Intel can safely claim the performance crown with a product that isn't a paper launch (you can get chips, they just take a little time...not like they don't exist). Every month they were behind AMD in performance hurt their image. I'm surprised they waited until they had as much inventory as they did (pretty good supply actually), but it seems to be working for them.

And I think newegg definitely appreciates Intel's business decision :) .

You're right, Intel has the performance crown. I don't argue that. I would have either waited a bit, or run the factories to build up more cpu's to start with, but that's not my business decision, its their's. For sure, Newegg, etc does like Intel's decision, cause a short supply keeps the price up higher than it should be for more profit. For now, I'll wait until the prices come down before I do anything. At elast i hope they come down a bit.
September 7, 2006 11:46:52 PM

Enterprise Managment is a very far reality from sales figures,

It happens in big corporations all the time, when you start doing good you start making non existing job positions, hiring 10 instead of 8 to do a certain task and you get to a point you get as big and fat as intel got.

Layoffs happens even on my 100+ employees company nobody likes them but it happens. It's normal part of the business.

Remember Intel it's not just CPU, they are hot right now on that department but how is everything else?

They are just resizing to a more controlable and efficient work force, that should be their goal.
September 8, 2006 12:07:45 AM

Quote:
Why do people post things like that? Who cares? We want to see benchmarks not amateur brabbel.

Not to start a war but here it goes Mr. Only My Opinion Counts.
1.Becouse some people might find it worth reading and have some good things to say about the subject. From the looks of it you don't so see #2.
2.If you don't care then don't read it.
3.If you want to see benchmarks look them up on the net, or do I need to do that for you and hold your hand? :roll:
September 8, 2006 12:14:19 AM

Quote:
And why would anyone give a damn about their economics? Unless you're a shareholder or an Intl fanboy.

I am sure someone here has stock in Intel and might want to read it!
September 8, 2006 12:26:50 AM

Quote:
And why would anyone give a damn about their economics? Unless you're a shareholder or an Intl fanboy.

For that one guy, w00t! For the rest of us, another worthless thread. Not so w00t.
Synergy6
September 8, 2006 12:37:48 AM

Quote:

I'm sure that stockholders don't come to CPU forums to get the ticker prices or any info about any holdings.

Oh, and they wouldn't go to a hardware site for information about stocks, that's what a financial section of the paper and the internet is for.
September 8, 2006 12:48:07 AM

Not trying to kill the messenger, but this Enderle guy doesn't know how to write properly. He needs an editor. He is also a "Member, Industry Advisory Council" for, you guessed it, AMD. Notice the sloppily formatted web site. He needs a web designer. And check out his predictions about the Apple/Intel partnership and his lame anti-Intel, pro-AMD views. Eight months later, it looks like the Apple/Intel partnership is doing just fine.

Mr. Enderle is just a pundit. Like most pundits, he has biases. He's presenting biased opinions, which is fine. That's why we have free speech. I wouldn't like life without the Dvoraks of this world. And he doesn't hide his affiliations, which is commendable. But readers should take his opinions with a grain of salt. And threads like this are a good place to debate these opinions and their relationship to reality. :) 

Edit: added 2nd paragraph
September 8, 2006 1:09:09 AM

Kukito: gj, :trophy:
... and that, folks, is how you do research these days. Read the article, then find out who the author is affiliated with.
September 8, 2006 1:16:04 AM

Quote:
I'm sure that stockholders don't come to CPU forums to get the ticker prices or any info about any holdings.

Oh, and they wouldn't go to a hardware site for information about stocks, that's what a financial section of the paper and the internet is for.

Well, not quite; actually, I remember quite an aggressive one (I'll try to find the link, if you care to read); and, there are many others in here, myself not included.
As a matter of fact, I think they should come to forums like this one; I bet some of the issues here discussed are much more enlightening in computing trends (at all levels!) than many financial sections on other media. Actually, learning about the innards of a chip manufacturer, from silicon to market, could have a more sound impact on decision making, stockholder's wise. Of course, not everyone wants to go that deep; it takes time searching & reading and it's not considered a reliable source. Pitty!

Cheers!
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2006 1:16:56 AM

Quote:
Not trying to kill the messenger, but this Enderle guy doesn't know how to write properly. He needs an editor. He is also a "Member, Industry Advisory Council" for, you guessed it, AMD. Notice the sloppily formatted web site. He needs a web designer. And check out his predictions about the Apple/Intel partnership and his lame anti-Intel, pro-AMD views. Eight months later, it looks like the Apple/Intel partnership is doing just fine.

Mr. Enderle is just a pundit. Like most pundits, he has biases. He's presenting biased opinions, which is fine. That's why we have free speech. I wouldn't like life without the Dvoraks of this world. And he doesn't hide his affiliations, which is commendable. But readers should take his opinions with a grain of salt. And threads like this are a good place to debate these opinions and their relationship to reality. :) 

He's like the Bill O'Reilly or the CPU industry..lol
September 8, 2006 1:20:01 AM

1. Use the title of the original article.

2. Don't add stupid comments.

3. Since you're a noob lay back on the anti intel posts.
September 8, 2006 1:22:52 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. It's nice to see constructive criticism on the topic and not supid remarks about fanboys or worthless read.
September 8, 2006 1:25:13 AM

Quote:
1.Intel could not keep going the way they were going as losses would have been staggering due to amd entering most of their once soley owned markets.
2.a slim company can maneuver where a bloated giant cannot,and what ever spills the market may throw at them they will be in a better position to rebound.
3.95000 employees is massive,thats a mid sized city.
4.when intel layed off folks in 2000 the number was smaller and a good portion were rehired.id say that defeats this mooks notion of Intel making its employees insecure;

the article is crap.

I agree with your last sentence; and, on point 3., if you multiply that number by 0.1 & call it a small town, I'll agree with your first three points, as well. :wink:

Cheers!
September 8, 2006 1:53:26 AM

Quote:
1. Use the title of the original article.

2. Don't add stupid comments.

3. Since you're a noob lay back on the anti intel posts.

First off I thought is was a good read. Me and another guy at work was talking about intel stocks which is part of the reason I posted it.

To clear things up some. The article may have been a anti Intel (kukito pointed that out) but there is some info in it that may hold true. No I am not anti Intel! We need more people here like kukito because he said something that was worth the post.

I named it what I did to get more views. Maybe I was wrong for doing so but like it really matters that much.

I may be a newbie but I have been a member since Mar 22, 2006. I have been reading articles from TG for much longer than that.

I don't see you making comments about the other supid comments some of the other posters have made. All this crap is why I don't post much to start with because half of the posters only want to post smart ass :x remarks and not really talk about the topic.
September 8, 2006 2:01:44 AM

Quote:

Well, not quite; actually, I remember quite an aggressive one (I'll try to find the link, if you care to read); and, there are many others in here, myself not included.
As a matter of fact, I think they should come to forums like this one; I bet some of the issues here discussed are much more enlightening in computing trends (at all levels!) than many financial sections on other media. Actually, learning about the innards of a chip manufacturer, from silicon to market, could have a more sound impact on decision making, stockholder's wise. Of course, not everyone wants to go that deep; it takes time searching & reading and it's not considered a reliable source. Pitty!

Cheers!

Like I said some may want to read it. Tickers give you the $ amout but things like the article will give you an idea of how the stock my go ahead of time. It will help to let you know to get out of it or buy. I gave advice to a person on when to get out of Apple stocks from things I read on TG and a few others. They did not listen and you know what they lost money.
September 8, 2006 3:20:34 AM

Quote:

Cheers!

Like I said some may want to read it. Tickers give you the $ amout but things like the article will give you an idea of how the stock my go ahead of time. It will help to let you know to get out of it or buy. I gave advice to a person on when to get out of Apple stocks from things I read on TG and a few others. They did not listen and you know what they lost money.

How did they lose money? Apple has been hovering over $50 for the last six months, and have been going up for the last year. Unless this person lost the stocks, they should not have lost any money, unless they sold at the low point, which lasted maybe a week.

As for investors using hardware sites for investment ideas, that's fine and dandy. But the Street will not care about Anandtech or Tom's Hardware opinion on setting prices per quarter. Hell, I have no idea what some of these analysts are thinking half the time. I mean, 1 person can cause the stock of a company to rise or fall with just a little blurb of "good" or "bad" in a quote.

I own stock, and I seriously don't take advice from any hardware sites, and that's the truth. I use hardware sites to see what kind of results I can get from a CPU, not where I can invest my money.
September 8, 2006 3:31:59 AM

Quote:
First off I thought is was a good read.

I wonder why.

Quote:
To clear things up some. The article may have been a anti Intel (kukito pointed that out) but there is some info in it that may hold true.

Like?

Quote:
We need more people here like kukito because he said something that was worth the post.

Crap topics dont deserve good posts.

Quote:
I named it what I did to get more views. Maybe I was wrong for doing so but like it really matters that much.

You should work for a newspaper or magazine with an attitude like that.

Quote:
I may be a newbie but I have been a member since Mar 22, 2006. I have been reading articles from TG for much longer than that.

Still a noob.

Quote:
I don't see you making comments about the other supid comments some of the other posters have made.

They didn't start a crappy topic.

Quote:
All this crap is why I don't post much to start with because half of the posters only want to post smart ass

Post something worthwhile and you'll get good responses.
September 8, 2006 4:24:09 AM

Quote:
Conroe isn't selling quite as well as expected, isn't quite living up to the expectations that had been promised, and worse, the motherboards for it are buggy for the moment. The motherboard problems will get fixed in time, reality will come to Conroe and people will figure out that its still a good cpu selling for a reasonable cost, at least the lower end ones, and a few fantasy expectations will be dashed.

I remember way back in the K5 and K6 days that AMD had issues with motherboard chipsets and their CPUs that weren't straightened out until the K62 became a reliable budget CPU with decent motherboards. I had my K62-450 up until I went to a P4 for Morrowind.

Conroe is a good CPU. AMD X2 CPUs are good too. The problem with CPU sales today is that Intel's dumping all the bad Prescott Netburst at rock bottom prices and the Athlon X2 CPUs are just now becoming affordable, but not enough AMD fans are upgrading from single core. The whole industry's in a mild slump.

When Fry's offers a P4 Prescott 2.66 CPU with an ECS motherboard and a copy of Windows XP Home OEM for $129, then you know the newer CPUs will take awhile to pick up steam. As bad as NETBURST is, even my P4 630 is listed as having more bang for the buck in Tom's CPU charts than the newer dual cores.

Next year, with VISTA and DX10 out, and inventories of single core AMD socket 939 CPUs and Intel Netburst eradicated, then I expect to see sales of dual core Conroes and AMD's AM2 platform to take off. After all, quad core will be the high end and it will be time for the rest of us to ditch our single core CPUs for better performance.
September 8, 2006 4:38:39 AM

From where I stand, I figure that this kind of article is entertaining at the best and most cuz, where we (pc gaming/modding/overclocking crowd) stand is always at the line (price point) of the war between AMD and Intel. What I mean is that we always upgrade our computers, be it a new processor, a Gig 'o ram more and so on... We always want the best period and while being faithful to a company over the other is noble, reasonnable or plain ingnorance (call it whatever you want) We win! cuz each company outperforms the other sooner or later with yet another new and improved videocard, lol.

The point I mean to make is while they are leaving themselves (AMD and Intel) to their own private wars and are trying breakthrough hardware and competing with eachother, money becomes a factor, we get better and better processors, videocard, hardrive for a much reasonnable price.

They fight themselves to death to get our money and are trying to sell us better stuff. Hey, can anyone remember paying top dollars to get a PIII or a motherboard and some ram for a now very funky experience of rambus ram?!?!

Anyway, this post might sound like it's a bit to naïve, but I really think we always get better hardware and now, we get to get it at a better price/performance.

Long live the approach where there is still competition.

Anyways, sorry if it's confusing to read as it is late and I am tired but
F#$%'s sake, stop Fanboyism.
September 8, 2006 5:26:51 AM

Quote:

Cheers!

How did they lose money? Apple has been hovering over $50 for the last six months, and have been going up for the last year. Unless this person lost the stocks, they should not have lost any money, unless they sold at the low point, which lasted maybe a week.

As for investors using hardware sites for investment ideas, that's fine and dandy. But the Street will not care about Anandtech or Tom's Hardware opinion on setting prices per quarter. Hell, I have no idea what some of these analysts are thinking half the time. I mean, 1 person can cause the stock of a company to rise or fall with just a little blurb of "good" or "bad" in a quote.

I own stock, and I seriously don't take advice from any hardware sites, and that's the truth. I use hardware sites to see what kind of results I can get from a CPU, not where I can invest my money.

what would the investor think if companies started to pull out of the stock market all together. They would crap their pants!

Investor today have too much power. bunch of geeks sitting at their desk making millions by putting their 2cents and many small investor follow with knee jerk reaction. It's stupid really! Stock once use to be a long term investment. Day trader today are destroying companies by taking profits. If you make 9billions a quarter, my goodness, thats a lot of money.
Like the bible says, Greed, the love of money. Man will hurt one another.
It is just getting out of hand. There will be a greater stock crash before it's all over.
September 8, 2006 12:48:40 PM

Quote:

Cheers!

They bought stock back in DEC 05. I include the chart for you to see. Yes they are on the way back up now but the way that this person is trading (day trader) it was only a matter of time before it went back down. At this time Creative had a law suit against Apple. Also it really started to drop after the news broke about Apple's stock possibly being infatuated. Any time there is bad news on a company it is always wise to keep an eye open.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=AAPL&t=1y&l=on&z=m&q=l&...
September 8, 2006 1:01:33 PM

Quote:

I don't see you making comments about the other supid comments some of the other posters have made.

They didn't start a crappy topic.

No But you can make a statment about it not being a good article with out being a smart ass like you!
September 8, 2006 1:05:09 PM

I could but that wouldn't be fun. You could always not make crappy topics to avoid smart ass posts. You could also follow my other advice:

Quote:
September 8, 2006 1:21:14 PM

Quote:

Not the "Street" but stockholders; suppose you're in the wine or in the biotech business, for example. You'd certainly want to know everything there is to know about it; although not linearly, trends (and stocks...) are often set by anticipating how good your product is going to be, what's your productivity specs, when, for how long, who are your direct competitors, your targets and how are you planning to deal with both, your marketing strategies, etc.
Both as a manufacturer & a consumer, you might want to entrust someone else to do it for you; nevertheless, it's truly basic economics to know everything you can (& cannot!) about what you're going to put your money on. This is the generic landscape.

Quote:

I will certainly not doubt on your words; but, as a stockholder, you must know that advertising bluff is a strong weapon, consumer-wise. For instance, it's fantastic to know that AMD (& ATi... & IBM) will have/already have (?) a 65nm product which will dump everything else into the bin. Right. Where is it? When is it? What is it? Is it worth it? As a stockholder, how do I react now, knowing so few about it? (and, we all know how hard it is to get something from the sources... really trustworthy).
I'd dare to say that even you got some useful input from this forum, regarding pertinent clues to decision making; perhaps if stock managers knew better...
This is the particular landscape.

With this in mind, I surely will not advise anyone to rely upon forums like this one to take their final decisions, stockmarket-wise; my point (and only one) is that it could help stockholders to educate themselves a bit more, on what they're betting their own money.

Cheers!
September 8, 2006 1:25:10 PM

Quote:
I could but that wouldn't be fun. You could always not make crappy topics to avoid smart ass posts. You could also follow my other advice:

If you read one of my other post I was trying to get a the topic on the move.

Quote:
If AMD is really smart, it may be able to increase a few percentage points in the marketplace, but AMD has a few problems of its own to work through.

I think they will get a few points in the market but AMD droped the ball with K8L they should of had it ready to ship with in a month or two of core 2. It makes me want to kick butt of the CEO at AMD. :evil:  If they would have got K8L out at the same time I think we would have had one heck of a price war going on now. Not saying we don't now but I think it would have been better. 8O

Dell is going to use 20 million amd cpu's between now and Q4 2007. This is were I think AMD is going to start taking some of the market share from Intel.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20060905065946...

You see the way IcY18 said it. People don't have to be a smart ass to make a very good point on the subject.

Quote:
the guy seemed to be only looking on the negative side of intels decision the entire article. poorly written imo, maybe if he would have touched base on the positive reason and/or intel's reason for laying off it would have been a more fair article. the last few paragraphs he is saying "rejoice amd, intel is now weaker", what is that all about?

i could've wrote the same article about amd and how rediculous there acquisition or ati was or i could also note that it gives amd a future and a more solid base to compete with amd, which is what intel is going for with their planned layoff...

both situations have pros and cons, he just never seemed to look at the pros in this article which is like listening to a fanboy preach...

I value options like that because they get the point across with out trying to draw sides.
September 8, 2006 2:38:05 PM

And here is were the problem is right out of your own mouth. :p 

Quote:
I could but that wouldn't be fun.

This is my whole point in case you missed it.
September 8, 2006 2:52:34 PM

You sir, are a moron. You freely admit you only named the topic to get views, to an otherwise dull and rather lacklustre post, yet have the cojones to insult Action_Man's person just for pointing out the obvious. Wise up :roll:
Synergy6
September 8, 2006 3:21:38 PM

I wanted more views to get more options on the topic not insults like yours and actions man's. I think you and Action_Man are the one's who need to wise up. :roll: Action_Man himself said it would not be any fun. In other words he wanted to start trouble if you can’t see it yourself.

Quote:

Like I said earlier if you and the other few that didn't want to read then why did you read the post and post insults?

Some people like to hear the opinions on things and others just like to cause problems. 8O
September 8, 2006 3:27:47 PM

No, it seemed like you titled your thread to get some sort of backlash about how Intel's financials are doing, not so much about their processors (past, present, or future).

I didn't take offense to it, I just thought it had something to do with Intel's manufactuering or something, not what the market thought about or what one person's idea of what the impact of layoffs mean to Intel. And if anyone should take offense, I would be one, since I work for Intel, and I've seen some people I know get laid off because of the restructuring.

You ask for opinions, and even though Action_Man said his opinion in his own unique way, you got what you asked for: opinions.

Again, I could care less about reading about financials or marketing strategies in a CPU forum, and that's my opinion.
September 8, 2006 3:51:35 PM

Quote:
the guy seemed to be only looking on the negative side of intels decision the entire article.

Yes... but he has some good points. While I don't know how long Intel studied who to lay off in such a large layoff you inevitably get rid of some people you needed.

Layoffs are very tricky and are best done as clearly and consisely as possible. You announce a layoff, you tell everyone who will be laid off at that time when their last day will be, and you do it all in one round. Anything else kills morale at a company and leads to key employees leaving due to the ambiguity of what is going to happen, as has been shown over and over again.

Intel appears to have skipped the part that helps retain staff who they plan on keeping (telling everyone who will be laid off at that time when their last day will be). Hopefully they will avoid the multiple round layoff syndrome.

The main problem with public companies is that layoffs are targeted at making earnings FIRST, future business is secondary. If you miss earnings too many times your own job is going to be the next to go... being profitable is not enough.
September 8, 2006 4:51:56 PM

Wow the idiotic fanbois not using any gray matter at all to understand that article, well, honestly doesn't surprise me.

Intel fanbois are almost as brainless as mac fanatics...

Intel Fanbois = YOU FAIL....

The article, as well as I can put it in small words so any fanboi can understand..

Intel had options to laying off employees, but the upper management, as most upper management does, knee jerked a layoff to try and help an ailing stock price. They had other options they could have pursued, but they chose the wrong one.

Why?

Because any company that says we are going to lay people off will have a drop in productivity as each employee wonders if they are going to be one of the 10,500 laid off. Yes this happens, I have been in a few companies that had big layoffs and the first thing that happened was productivity fell as employees started looking for new jobs and not worrying about their current job.

AMD on the other hand will have the ability to pick up some of Intels smartest and brightest with this flub on Intels part. Engineers that would have never left Intel before may entertain an offer from a competitor that IS NOT laying people off at the moment, and is increasing market share with their own CPU's.

What does this do for intel? Everything that is bad is going to happen, productivity falls, they may, and probably will, lose some very good Engineers, and their CPU's will suffer because of it.

Not now, of course the C2D is going to be a strong CPU for at least a year, maybe longer, but what happens when AMD innovates a better CPU with the new talent they got from intel? What about AMD innovating a new CPU without talent from Intel, but because Intel laid the wrong people off, they can't just innovate a new one for another 5 years??

I do not want to see that. As anyone can see from my post I love the AMD and Intel Competition. I have no brand loyalty between the two.

This article wasn't written to make AMD look outstanding, but to show Intel wasn't thinking correctly when they announced future layoffs of 10,500 people. They should have sent the pick slips out, then announced it.

This was the gist of the story, not what you intel fanbois are crying about.
September 8, 2006 5:29:59 PM

Quote:
Wow the idiotic fanbois not using any gray matter at all to understand that article, well, honestly doesn't surprise me.

Intel fanbois are almost as brainless as mac fanatics...

Intel Fanbois = YOU FAIL....

The article, as well as I can put it in small words so any fanboi can understand..

Intel had options to laying off employees, but the upper management, as most upper management does, knee jerked a layoff to try and help an ailing stock price. They had other options they could have pursued, but they chose the wrong one.

Why?

Because any company that says we are going to lay people off will have a drop in productivity as each employee wonders if they are going to be one of the 10,500 laid off. Yes this happens, I have been in a few companies that had big layoffs and the first thing that happened was productivity fell as employees started looking for new jobs and not worrying about their current job.

AMD on the other hand will have the ability to pick up some of Intels smartest and brightest with this flub on Intels part. Engineers that would have never left Intel before may entertain an offer from a competitor that IS NOT laying people off at the moment, and is increasing market share with their own CPU's.

What does this do for intel? Everything that is bad is going to happen, productivity falls, they may, and probably will, lose some very good Engineers, and their CPU's will suffer because of it.

Not now, of course the C2D is going to be a strong CPU for at least a year, maybe longer, but what happens when AMD innovates a better CPU with the new talent they got from intel? What about AMD innovating a new CPU without talent from Intel, but because Intel laid the wrong people off, they can't just innovate a new one for another 5 years??

I do not want to see that. As anyone can see from my post I love the AMD and Intel Competition. I have no brand loyalty between the two.

This article wasn't written to make AMD look outstanding, but to show Intel wasn't thinking correctly when they announced future layoffs of 10,500 people. They should have sent the pick slips out, then announced it.

This was the gist of the story, not what you intel fanbois are crying about.

Well said! What you said was pretty much what I got out of the article.
September 8, 2006 5:54:34 PM

Quote:
Like I said earlier if you and the other few that didn't want to read then why did you read the post and post insults?

Quote:
I named it what I did to get more views.

I'm guessing you don't see the irony, right? In a guy who self-admittedly titles a thread for views, and gets annoyed when the responses aren't exactly Aristotlean in their discursive force. :roll: In future, if you just want replies from people who are genuinely interested in the topic, name the topic correctly.
Synergy6
!