Old BH6 question

slush1000

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
What is the maximum memory per slot in the Abit BH6 motherboard?
Im resurecting an old box with a 300a Celeron O/C to 450 and bought what I thought was a 256MB PC133 chip and when I plugged it into the computer it only registered as 128MB.
I went back and got an exchange thinking it was a simple mistake and again when I put it in this computer it registered as 128MB.
So I need to know if ths computer store is unorganized bunch of idiots or if somehow I am wrong and this Mobo only supports 128MB and is dropping the avail memory down to work. I assume the computer wouldnt boot if there was a stick too large for the mobo to handle.

Thanks for the advise.

slush1000

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
You're better off with Google for problems like this.

Maybe someone could actually post something useful. Why even bother with posting if its going to be that useless??

For the Record, multiple Google searches (previous to the original post) revealed that the BH6 rev 1.1 should support 256MB per slot.

If anyone has experience with this particular motherboard I was hoping for some more information that Google searches did not reveal before having to travel back to the store where I purchased the memory stick AGAIN to have it exchanged.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Well I'd say that my post was useful - making sure that you're not pinning all this on a reply on this forum when an old/legacy website found through Google is probably a better bet.

You say you 'thought' that the stick was 256mb...is there any possibility that you may just be wrong abou that and that it really is just a 128mb stick? Usually when a memory stick hits the ceiling of what a board can take it just doesn't get recognised.

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Wow, lets see, the reason it is detecting 128Mb instead of 256Mb is because you are using single sided memory, Abit requires to function properly double sided memory. 8*64 no good, 16*32 good. Basically if there is memory on one side of the sdram, change to like Micro with memory on both sides of the Sdram stick. This will work, I have a BE6-2, BF6 and a BH6 mobo all from abit.

slush1000

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
First off - My Aplologies MesaRectifier, I realise I was directing my frustration in the wrong places. I appreciate the quick reply.

I will be exchanging my single sided memory to a double sided tomorrow after work. Thanks rattman169.

I am not pleased with the computer store becasue I explained to them exactly which processor and motherboard I had and they did not inform me about any single/double sided issues and I had been there twice about the stick only reading as half the size I was expecting.

Thanks again.

D1rty80y

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
slush1000, perhaps the computer store are not experienced enough to know of memory addressing issues on mobo's with 440BX chipsets.
I've seen numerous issues of users unknowingly using what some people would term as 'high density' single sided memory (ie. 8x64) and finding that the board is unable to correctly recognise it (eg. Dell GX110).
Hopefully you can point this problem out to the retailer in the hope that they can educate their staff a little better?

In reply to MesaRectifier - For a user of this forum with as many posts as you, to have seemingly dismissed slush1000 post as pointless and to direct him towards 'Google'. Did it not occur to you that slush1000 might not have had the time to go trawling through countless other webs or forums to find a possible reason for his/her problem and that he/she needed a positive and correct solution such as that offered by rattman169?
Whilst your 1st post on this may have been a possible offering of a solution, I think slush1000 was correct in his/her response in that your post was not helpful.
As an IT engineer myself, I find that to offer someone a correct solution along with a brief explanation of a reason for the problem, as rattman169 did, much more beneficial to all parties concerned.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Rattman's reply (which was excellent, for the record) came three and a half hours after the OP's first post. I'd bet that you can find out about single/double sided memory issues with specific boards in a fraction of that time using Google.

And at no point did I say it was stupid, I just think that if you can help yourself in half an hour with a little research (hey, you might just learn something new along the way) then it's worth doing.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
The BH6 does not properly recognize all memory. Some newer single-sided Dimms use a configuration and chip size postdating the design specs of the board. Also the memory may be misidentified if Dimms with different layouts are mixed. You may be interested to know I'm typing this on a system with BH board and P333. Try a double-sided dimm, (or single-sided if it's the double-sided giving the problem.)

D1rty80y

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I never said or implied that you did say it was stupid. You are completely right that people should learn to help themselves by searching Google and possibly picking up a few extra pointers along the way, ie. learning something.
Admittedly, that is what a forum is all about and perhaps i was working along the basis that slush1000 would post his problem, go do something else and come back later to see if there was a reply. I also think that slush1000 just needed a little pointing in the right direction, as it was the 2nd stick of memory supplied that had failed to work, and we assume (sometimes wrongly) that the retailer actually knows about the products they sell and would know about this.