Sign in with
Your question

Does 480p compatibility mean Nintendo Wii can go bigscreen?

Last response: in Overclocking
September 7, 2006 9:19:14 PM

I have two different displays that I can use for a new video game console (Wii) that supports 480i and 480p resolution.

I have a pretty decent 24 inch flat screen CRT WEGA tv. It does not support 480p. Only 480i. It does have component inputs, however.

My other choice is my new 20 inch widescreen NEC LCD computer monitor. It has a max resolution of 1680 x 1050, and has a killer glossy coating that makes everything look awesome. Excellent response time. Works great with FPS computer games.

Obviously, I would sit a lot closer to the LCD monitor than the TV.

The LCD monitor has a ton of inputs, including DVI, component, composite, ect. When I connect my gamecube to the composite video, however, it looks terrible in full screen mode. If I shrink it down in a picture-in-picture window it looks fine. But normal full screen TV mode is fuzzy. The effect is similar to what happens when I put the Gamecube which is 480i on a very large high definition TV. It is sort of blurry, blocky, ect.

My understanding is that 480i isn't really meant for large screens, or in this case computer monitors because you are sitting too close to something that doesn't hold up to that kind of scrutiny.

My question is, given that the Wii will output in 480p as well as 480i with the proper component cables, does that mean that the results will be better with my monitor? In other words, will the 480p compatibility allow the new console to be run on a monitor or large screen, unlike the 480i gamecube?

All things being equal I'd like to use the monitor, but not if it will look better on a standard TV.*

*The reason why I don't just experiment, is because Wii won't include component video cables and I'd have to buy them aftermarket. They probably aren't cheap.
September 8, 2006 11:05:08 PM

Ok Quick Overview here.
480i is a 480 horizontal line interlaced image.
480p is a 480 horizontal line progressive image.

The Progressive image shows one image every refresh, the Interlaced shows half of the one image and half of the next image, weaved into eachother every other line.
Dig?

Ok So now to your question.
No. The Image Output will still suffer from your monitor streching it. LCDs don't take well to images that aren't at their native resolution. Unless it can convert the image into an appropriate size. There may be an option in your LCD to only blow up the image in one direction not both, that way the image won't be streched into unnatural porportions. Otherwise I suggest you stand back, buy a converter, or get a TV Card and run the Wii/Gamecube through your computer where you can get programs to make the picture less ugly.
September 8, 2006 11:34:33 PM

Quote:
Ok Quick Overview here.
480i is a 480 horizontal line interlaced image.
480p is a 480 horizontal line progressive image.

The Progressive image shows one image every refresh, the Interlaced shows half of the one image and half of the next image, weaved into eachother every other line.
Dig?

No. The Image Output will still suffer from your monitor streching it. LCDs don't take well to images that aren't at their native resolution. Unless it can convert the image into an appropriate size. There may be an option in your LCD to only blow up the image in one direction not both, that way the image won't be streched into unnatural porportions. Otherwise I suggest you stand back, buy a converter, or get a TV Card and run the Wii/Gamecube through your computer where you can get programs to make the picture less ugly.

Ok I get it. It sounds like just using my regular TV is the best option. Let me ask you one more thing, if my TV takes component inputs but is not 480p capable, is it worth buying the component cables anyway, or do you think I should stick with the regular yellow composite?
Related resources
September 9, 2006 12:56:54 PM

buy the wii see if it looks alright on the screen, if not then go out and buy them, that way you dont buy something you dont need :) 
November 27, 2006 1:56:34 AM

Quote:

No, you are wrong here. There is an option in Wii to make output 16:9. It will adjust all the games accordingly. Plus it looks much sharper with component video, though I suspect that it is not only due to format, but due to cabling as well.

Here http://www.gamespot.com/features/6162297/p-2.html is very good comparison of 480p vs 480i for Wii.
November 28, 2006 2:44:39 PM

Long story short it can display on any screen, including 16:9, though you'll want to make sure the Wii is set to display at 16:9 or yeah it might look odd. How "nice" is entirely up to the screen size, native res (i.e. how much you're going to be stretching those comparatively few 480p lines) and how far away you will be sitting from the source, and whether or not you notice and can deal with the imperfections.
Do you have a progressive scan DVD player? Have you hooked it up to either monitor? Progressive scan dvd/tv setup is 480p (and conversely, regular DVD on a regular tv is 480i) so if that looks "ok" to you, you'll likely have your own answer.
!