P5B - the dreaded 'uCode error'. Could use some help here!

PoweredBySoy

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
Hey guys,

I'm bumming. I was so excited to get my new C2D 6400 and Asus P5B today. Got it all hooked up, and now at POST I'm getting the well known 'INTEL CPU uCode loading error'. I've read many threads on the subject, but none of the fixes are working for me.

I originally flashed my bios to the newest 0309 version. That caused all sorts of problems. I recieved the uCode error, along with other errors saying "Overclock failed", etc... And then after a few restarts it would even stop posting all together.

To get it to post again, I had to reset the cmos using the jumper - every time I restarted.

Another problem I noticed is that the bios would never save settings. I would set boot priority to my CD drive, turn off Floppy, etc... and then after every restart, the settings would be back to 'default'.

I finally installed an older bios, 0211. This fixed all of my problems except the uCode error. Now bios saves my settings. Now I'm not getting an overclock error. I can even boot from my CD drive and I am now currently reformatting my harddrive for a fresh XP install.

But what is this uCode error? I know my cpu is seated correctly. I know bios is recognizing the chip. After flashing to 0211, the error comes up, but all I have to do is hit F1 to bypass it.

Is this error significant? Will everything still function properly and allow my computer to function until a new bios comes out?

This is what I'm currently running:
P5B
Corsair XMS2 CM2X1024-6400 (currently only running 1 stick while testing)
E6400
EVGA 7900GT 512

Thanks for any help, guys. Sorry for the long winded post, but I just want to give all the info I can.

PoweredBySoy

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
Thanks ass, that worked. It wasn't as simple as that - it took a few times and bios resets - but in the end I am now running 0309 and there are no post errors.