monboy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
Hiya ,

1st off, Thanks for answering all my previuos questions about which components to buy.

My computer parts have arrived and I am in a state of shock, I actually got the computer up to the bios screen...I got a checksum error , so Im not sure about that , I'm thinking it could be the wrong ram, but would the bios still come up if the ram was wrong ? I didnt want to take down my main computer, so i grabbed some ram from a old puter and it worked in the slot

2nd, where do I go from here.....im lost now...I have been reading all the DIY guides....but i got some oem parts, How do i configure the sata drive ? I just have one HDD...the system reconizes it in the bios along with my cd rom dvd read write..mytemp is 38 C / CPU and 29 C on the main board

Here is my system ...
http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=3233074

Also, No clue how to hook up the audio, the MB book explains it but im still confused...Ty

Jeff

Hiya ,

1st off, Thanks for answering all my previuos questions about which components to buy.

My computer parts have arrived and I am in a state of shock, I actually got the computer up to the bios screen...I got a checksum error , so Im not sure about that , I'm thinking it could be the wrong ram, but would the bios still come up if the ram was wrong ? I didnt want to take down my main computer, so i grabbed some ram from a old puter and it worked in the slot

2nd, where do I go from here.....im lost now...I have been reading all the DIY guides....but i got some oem parts, How do i configure the sata drive ? I just have one HDD...the system reconizes it in the bios along with my cd rom dvd read write..mytemp is 38 C / CPU and 29 C on the main board

Here is my system ...
http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=3233074

Also, No clue how to hook up the audio, the MB book explains it but im still confused...Ty

Jeff

A little unsure how far along you are, but you could go into the BIOS and set the first boot device to CD ROM, stick in windows xp disk and reboot and load your operating system.

trixst4r

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
what do you mean you dont know how to hook up the audio?

I am assuming you mean front audio.
I have not worked with the sonata but there should be a cable from the case and it should be bundled up with 12? (not sure how many but it should be 10-14) pins and either it is already gatehred up into a small plug or you have to read the label on each wire and hook it up to your mobo. I'm not sure if this helped. :?

monboy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
Woohoo, Got windows xp installed.....thinks all for responding....I cant tell you how much I appreciate it......you guys on this board are a tremedous help....I really could not have done any of this without you.....

ok....some other questions.....

Windows seems to be lagging...I assume because , I only have a 256 mb stick in there, wasnt sure what size it was when i put it in....when i say lagging...it comes up fast , but sometimes, for instance, when i go to the explorer window to access my hard drive files, it will lag out and get no response then all the sudden, i can move again...

Also,....I have DSL....does this motherboard already support it or will i have to take my old card out ? This is my new board http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131530

Also, There is a audio hookup with my case http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811129155

that has 10 pin connector...it says for non intel boards, it has 7 indivisual connectors also attached....this part is confusing me...not sure where it goes on my board

Thanks again

Jeff

trixst4r

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
for the audio connector, how many pins do you have on your mobo? That plug should be 'keyed' as in one of 10 pins is actually not there so it should only fit into the plug 1 way. If they plug is not 'keyed' then i would suggest putting in the cables one by one, it should be colour coded and just match it up on the mobo manaul

I'm not sure what you mean by the DSL. Get the driver on the CD from the mob and install the onboard network. Plug your dsl into that and let internet wizard in IE do the rest.

monboy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
ok , I am now posting from my new puter....i am totally amazed and thrilled..i'm sure this is old to alot of you but this makes me feel very proud to have built my own system from scratch...I got tired of reading the directions and just started matching things....sound is working now also, thanks for the input....

Now , here is the next question, i have a sata hdd now, my old puter was a ide, is there anyone to make it a slave so i can copy files ? if so, could someone explain....thanks alot

Jeff

retepallen

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
With SATA i dont believe there is a master / slave setting. I think the drives just autoselect.

Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong. But i'd say just plug them in.

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
i have a sata and an ide hdd. i just set the sata to 1st hdd and ide to 2nd hdd in the bios but this was before i installed windows.

u should just be able to plug your ide into your computer and then switch it on and windows should recognize it. make sure u do not format it if you want to keep your info.