profile settings for cpu speed

chupa

Distinguished
May 1, 2004
Does anyone know of a program that you can set profiles under, which would allow you to set up different speeds for the cpu depending on what task you were doing at hand.....for example, if i have a 3ghz cpu (intel P4) and want to play games, i would set the profile to my max performance settings. However, if i was only browsing the web, i could select a profile to set my cpu at maybe 1.5 ghz so that all my fans don't need to work so hard because less heat would be produced and thus give me some silence as well. Any ideas on if such a program exists that can run in the background at with the touch of a button allow me to choose various profiles depending on the task at hand.

-chupa

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Many motherboards come with a program that does that, though I've found the one that came with my ABIT NI8 SLi to cause crashes when an abrupt change is made.

What motherboard do you have?
Is your system from a company like Dell or did you make the PC yourself?

You could always get a fan controller and turn a nob to high when gaming and to low when not.

chupa

Distinguished
May 1, 2004
yes i built the system myself....i have an Abit IC-7g mobo but no programs like that came with the system board.

chupa

Distinguished
May 1, 2004
i have tried it but i think the board needs to have the uguru chip for that program to work rite....unfortunately my mobo doesn't have the uguru chip .....any third party programs out there that would do the same thing?