Wanted: PSU recommendations

JDoobs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
I am looking for some good power supplies that will sufficiently power my system, I have my specifications listed below.

Thermaltake Eclipse DV Black Chassis
XFX 7950GX2
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
ASUS P5N32-SLI SE
CORSAIR XMS2 (2x1GB) DDR2 800
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400

Thanks guys!

Pompeii

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
This power supply should be good enough for your system:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817703001

It is expensive, but if I were you, I would rather pay more to know my 7950GX2 is safe. Here is a link to a good psu calculator:

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

It calculates your power usage at 343 watts. If you plan on overclocking, go with something that has yet more power. Power supplies are always the last component you should go cheap on - if it goes, your whole system could go with it.

I may not be one to comment, as I have an Ultra X2-Connect power supply. But it hasn't failed me yet and the voltages are pretty steady. *crosses fingers*

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004
Seasonic Power supplies are, in my humble opinion, are the best.

Ultra stable, ultra quiet, ultra well built...

Not much more you can ask for.....

X

Pompeii

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Generally speaking, yes. But then you come up with some load balancing issues depending on the power supply. (do not quote me on this - I am not 100% sure I am right).

Either way, this power supply will suit your needs. But I think this power supply does have two 12 volt rails - one running at 34amps, the other at 38.

But keep in mind, if you plan on doing any kind of overclocking, or going Quad SLI, get yourself a beefier psu.

To be honest, my knowledge of power supplies is not as extensive as other components. If you want to feel safe, get the opinion of more expierienced users. Wusy is good, but normally quite busy, RichPLS is also good.

If you have any more questions, I will try my best to answer them.

~Pompeii

HA_ZEE

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
You will need a power supply with at keast 35 amps on the 12v rail to have a safety margin. The 12v rail is the important one when shopping for power supplies. Total wattage can be misleading. I was shopping for a power supply a while back and somebody here at Tom's recommended the Silverstone. As you can see this unit has 55 amps on the 4 12 volt rails combined. They also linked a tech article on it in which it was highly praised for steady voltages under large loads. Just my 2 cents. It has been flawless for me. (AMD 4000@ 2.76 ghz and an X1900XT oc'd)

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817163109)

itneal2277

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
I'm not sure what your upgrade plans are but if you expect to be getting a DX10 card when they come out you may want to look for a very powerful PSU. There are reports saying that the high end SLI/Crossfire systems may require 1000 Watt PSU.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Either way, this power supply will suit your needs. But I think this power supply does have two 12 volt rails - one running at 34amps, the other at 38.

No, that is a single rail unit that has a continuous rating of 34A and a peak of 38. Look at the link you provided - it sez so in there. BTW, 34A continuous is pretty stout. That's over 400 watts just on the +12V.

But keep in mind, if you plan on doing any kind of overclocking, or going Quad SLI, get yourself a beefier psu.

Quad SLI, yes, more 12V current capacity. But I'm guessing this unit could handle the speced rig with a farily stout OC. Those PCP&C units have ballz. For the money, I would have recommended this mushkin. It does not have as much +12V current capacity as the PCP&C but it will handle the OPs rig just fine, is super high quality and costs about half as much. If you want more power, get the 650 mushkin, OCZ 700 or pull out the stops and get a big PCP&C.

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004
If you have not yet bought your power supply, or still need this information, follow the link below....

The only bias on this site is in regards to quiet pcs. If you take the time to actually read the article for start to finish (I know, incredibly boring) it will likely answer a majority of your questions.

Pay special attention to the wattage vs. effeciency question raised, especially in regards to the new ATX v2.2 standard. More watts, as you will see if you read the article, is not necessarily better (we all know that), but it's a balancing act between that and making sure each component gets the power it needs when it needs it, not every minute your computer is turned on.

It's easy to jack up the wattage ("my ps is bigger than your, kinda thing"), but it's not easy to keep the power clean and consistent, which is a bigger concern. The Seasonic 500 and 600 watt ps are SLI and Crossfire approved, and have the added benefit of being ultra quiet, heavy duty, well built, and very efficient and clean running.

Check this link....

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article28-page1.html

X