Has anyone ever seen a crossover AUI cable?

Last response: in Networking
May 20, 2005 7:39:00 AM

Hello from the Eighth Doctor
For my problem to be solved, (See the earlier threads concerning a strange
networking problem.) I placed an e-mail to a company who made a gizmo which
translates between COAX, and UTP. They claim the gizmo is now discontinued, but
they have been saying that for about a year. <G>

Anyway while searching for solutions, and found them, I came across an e-mail
embedded in a webpage regarding a crossover AUI cable described inside Tomi
Enghdahl's terrific website.

Basically it's two connectors wired together, instead of straight through, he's got the
wires crossing over. Transmit on one to the receiver on the other, that sort of thing.

Has anyone seen a something of a sort?
----
Gregg drwho8 atsign att dot net

More about : crossover aui cable

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 7:39:01 AM

The Eighth Doctor wrote:

(snip)

> Anyway while searching for solutions, and found them, I came across an e-mail
> embedded in a webpage regarding a crossover AUI cable described inside Tomi
> Enghdahl's terrific website.

AUI is not symmetrical, and passive crossovers can't work.

There are active devices, the most famous one is called DELNI,
which can be used to perform the function that you ask.

I also used to have two and four port transceivers that,
when properly terminated, would perform that function.

My first work with thick ethernet used two and four port
transceivers. One day I was having problems with a two port
that had been working. After working on it for a while, I figured
out that it failed when a transceiver cable was connected to the
unused port without a host. I then built my own AUI terminators,
and complained to the company that made them. There answer was to
send us some AUI terminators. The four port version didn't have
that problem, though.

-- glen
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 3:45:07 AM

In article <8I6dnSABlMbSHRDfRVn-oQ@comcast.com>, gah@ugcs.caltech.edu
says...

>The Eighth Doctor wrote:
>
>(snip)
>
>> Anyway while searching for solutions, and found them, I came across an e-mail
>> embedded in a webpage regarding a crossover AUI cable described inside Tomi
>> Enghdahl's terrific website.
>
>AUI is not symmetrical, and passive crossovers can't work.
>
>There are active devices, the most famous one is called DELNI,
>which can be used to perform the function that you ask.
>
>I also used to have two and four port transceivers that,
>when properly terminated, would perform that function.
>
>My first work with thick ethernet used two and four port
>transceivers. One day I was having problems with a two port
>that had been working. After working on it for a while, I figured
>out that it failed when a transceiver cable was connected to the
>unused port without a host. I then built my own AUI terminators,
>and complained to the company that made them. There answer was to
>send us some AUI terminators. The four port version didn't have
>that problem, though.
>
>-- glen

Hello from the Eighth Doctor
I agree. That blurb was the first one to surface from a Google search. I just finished
using one of their search engines for the DELNI. I would have better luck wiring
something of a sort.

Does anyone on the NG have just such an item roosting in their equipment room,
that they obviously do not need, and would be willing to part with, I'll pay shipping
charges? And if your located in the tri-state area, (NY, NJ, CT), I'll take anything
medium sized that's not needed as well, physically. Please e-mail for physical
address.
--
Gregg drwho8 atsign att dot net
May 21, 2005 3:45:08 AM

In article <7Euje.799283$w62.323706@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
The Eighth Doctor <drwho8__NOTME__@att.net> wrote:
>In article <8I6dnSABlMbSHRDfRVn-oQ@comcast.com>, gah@ugcs.caltech.edu
>says...
>>
>>The Eighth Doctor wrote:
>>
>>(snip)
>>
>>> Anyway while searching for solutions, and found them, I came across an e-mail
>>> embedded in a webpage regarding a crossover AUI cable described inside Tomi
>>> Enghdahl's terrific website.
>>
>>AUI is not symmetrical, and passive crossovers can't work.
>>
>>There are active devices, the most famous one is called DELNI,
>>which can be used to perform the function that you ask.
>>
>>I also used to have two and four port transceivers that,
>>when properly terminated, would perform that function.
>>
>>My first work with thick ethernet used two and four port
>>transceivers. One day I was having problems with a two port
>>that had been working. After working on it for a while, I figured
>>out that it failed when a transceiver cable was connected to the
>>unused port without a host. I then built my own AUI terminators,
>>and complained to the company that made them. There answer was to
>>send us some AUI terminators. The four port version didn't have
>>that problem, though.
>>
>>-- glen
>>
>Hello from the Eighth Doctor
>I agree. That blurb was the first one to surface from a Google search. I just finished
>using one of their search engines for the DELNI. I would have better luck wiring
>something of a sort.
>
>Does anyone on the NG have just such an item roosting in their equipment room,
>that they obviously do not need, and would be willing to part with, I'll pay shipping
>charges? And if your located in the tri-state area, (NY, NJ, CT), I'll take anything
>medium sized that's not needed as well, physically. Please e-mail for physical
>address.
>--
>Gregg drwho8 atsign att dot net

There are a couple on ebay.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 4:01:27 AM

In article <d6ltfe$7fc$1@panix5.panix.com>, adykes@panix.com says...

>In article <7Euje.799283$w62.323706@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
>The Eighth Doctor <drwho8__NOTME__@att.net> wrote:
>>In article <8I6dnSABlMbSHRDfRVn-oQ@comcast.com>,
gah@ugcs.caltech.edu
>>says...
>>>
>>>The Eighth Doctor wrote:
>>>
>>>(snip)

Tomi

>>>AUI is not symmetrical, and passive crossovers can't work.
>>>
>>>There are active devices, the most famous one is called DELNI,
>>>which can be used to perform the function that you ask.
>>>
>>>I also used to have two and four port transceivers that,
>>>when properly terminated, would perform that function.
>>>
>>>My first work with thick ethernet used two and four port
>>>transceivers. One day I was having problems with a two port
>>>that had been working. After working on it for a while, I figured
>>>out that it failed when a transceiver cable was connected to the
>>>unused port without a host. I then built my own AUI terminators,
>>>and complained to the company that made them. There answer was to
>>>send us some AUI terminators. The four port version didn't have
>>>that problem, though.
>>>
>>>-- glen
>>>
>>Hello from the Eighth Doctor
>>I agree. That blurb was the first one to surface from a Google search. I just
finished
>>using one of their search engines for the DELNI. I would have better luck wiring
>>something of a sort.
>>
>>Does anyone on the NG have just such an item roosting in their equipment room,
>>that they obviously do not need, and would be willing to part with, I'll pay
shipping
>>charges? And if your located in the tri-state area, (NY, NJ, CT), I'll take anything
>>medium sized that's not needed as well, physically. Please e-mail for physical
>>address.
>>--
>>Gregg drwho8 atsign att dot net
>>

>There are a couple on ebay.
>
>--
>a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
>
>Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Hello from the Eighth Doctor
That was one of the first that surfaced. Since that website and I do not get along, I
decided to decline their offer.
--
Gregg drwho8 atsign att dot net
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 4:51:30 PM

Tomi Holger Engdahl wrote:

> glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu> writes:

(snip)

>>AUI is not symmetrical, and passive crossovers can't work.

> You are right that AUI is not symmetrical.

> But according this Usenet news article that is archived at
> http://www.epanorama.net/documents/lan/aui2aui.html
> a suitable passive crossover could work on some cases:

Those some cases being ones where collisions never occur.

Even with two hosts, collisions are used to arbitrate
between those two.

If you can run them full duplex, unusual for AUI connections,
but it might be possible, then it should be fine.

-- glen
!