The best possible way to cool.

soul40k

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
HAHAHAHAHAHA, the best way possible. Which way you ask? By having fun doing it.

Soo, I got bored one day, saw a random Vantec Stealth 120mm laying around, so i decided to fool around. I go out to the hardware store and see WHAT!?!?!? a 119$ dremel with 103 peices for just 44 bucks? And WHAT!??!?! I have 2 random giftcards?!??! How can i pass this up!! So I went and grabbed the 'Rotory Tool' and a can of spray paint with some masking tape.

(PSSST, I didn't think to take pictures while I was doing it, so imagine.)

I grab some 120mm fan sheets off the net and print it off 12 different times trying to find the right actual size. Lay it down on the case, find my place, and mask it up. I go into the garage and start with the first screw hole. WOO Thankfully I drilled the right size hole for it to go in and now fall out. Next, the scary part.
I place the fan ontop the case, put the one screw in, and try and line up the hole on the sheet and the actual fan. stick a screw driver downt here and twist away on the masking tape to leave a mark. (hopefully i didnt move the fan). And start to methotically drill away at the 2nd hole praying i dont mess it up and have to redrill and have it alll f'd up.

Next: After a quick OMGTYITWORKS break, I get back to the case and break open the dremel set. Much to my relief, there was a flexible extender in there. Much to my dismay, it quickly fell apart upon trying to tighten the locking mechenism. Much to my relief, the thing is so easy to make, that it was easy to put back together. So, without seeing any parts list, i jump right into what I think is a cutting disk. Start it off, andd yea. This thing isnt going anywhere. Ok, so lets try that black one that seemd like it would break by picking it up. Put that on, and start cuttin. YES!!! IT WORKS! Snap. Damn. Next one! This is awsome. Snap. Dammmittt!!! Snap. Snap. Snap. OK IVE HAD ENOUGH. So I break out the drill. Drill 50ubteen holes in the thing (like 6 lol) and break out the jigsaw, I knew I had a nice jigger and that it would bea ble to do the job, I just wasn't to sure at how well I could work with it. Needless to say, everything STARTED OFF ok.

Then eventually I finished (forgot masking tape, ripped it off thinking that was why the dremel's were breaking) I will let the picture do the talking for this one.

BTW, this cooled my system and CPU down a whole 5-7C Which i think is amazing for me ^^ (idles at 40-46 now) .

Soooo now, I have to build an exaust to cover this shit job.

Any idea's on how to make a nice smooth looking exaust to sweep my hot air out the back of this thing? I have sheetmetal and spray paint (lol came in handy in this case too, orig got it for the BBQ, but its the same as my case apperently).

What else should I get, and any links to premade ones?

Thanks for reading lol.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
You´re a butcher! :lol:

Nice work though. I mean you could´ve got a watercooler for that amount of money... yet, not nearly that sort of entertainment! I like it. I really do. Reminds me of connecting the Buzzer to my Reset-button. Ah, good times...

So, what´s next on your list?

And thanks for posting those photos! :D

soul40k

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
You´re a butcher! :lol:

Nice work though. I mean you could´ve got a watercooler for that amount of money... yet, not nearly that sort of entertainment! I like it. I really do. Reminds me of connecting the Buzzer to my Reset-button. Ah, good times...

So, what´s next on your list?

And thanks for posting those photos! :D

Well, I had always wanted a dremel for doing random shit, so i figured id do that, and i always see watercooling at like 120+ for a kit that sounds half decent.

Next for me is probably cutting up the back of my case, It has a slot for a fan that is mounted in a holder that hooks into the back under the PSU, but it gives probably about 30-40% of it's actual possible output. Ontop of that, I want to mount 2 intake fans on the front, the holes are a bit off, and i dont want to use tie wraps for the fact that I cant get into it without breaking some plastic, so I will have to figure somthing out with that. Than I want to make simple holes on my side case for room for a 120mm fan (holds the stock 80mm atm). And possibly change around for another fan slow in the bottom corner over my GPU.

Also, like I mentioned, I want to make a nice exaust cover ontop of that to cover it up, Im thinking of a nice narrow tip that blows back into an open end with ends that spike down and are turned in, and put some mesh over top of the end there. Place a nice hole in the front panel of it with a nice clear piece of plexi glass with a really bright LED (the ones I been trying to figure out herelol) for a nice sneek peak into it, but not enough to see the destruction. Also, either put a LED 120mm fan in, or mod the Vantec (dont know if i can without sacrificing it's silence). If I can do that, I probably wont add the LED in the front plexi, let the fan shine through.

Edit: BTw, I only payed 20 bucks for the dremel in the end.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Well, I had always wanted a dremel for doing random ****, so i figured id do that, and i always see watercooling at like 120+ for a kit that sounds half decent.

Next for me is probably cutting up the back of my case, It has a slot for a fan that is mounted in a holder that hooks into the back under the PSU, but it gives probably about 30-40% of it's actual possible output. Ontop of that, I want to mount 2 intake fans on the front, the holes are a bit off, and i dont want to use tie wraps for the fact that I cant get into it without breaking some plastic, so I will have to figure somthing out with that. Than I want to make simple holes on my side case for room for a 120mm fan (holds the stock 80mm atm). And possibly change around for another fan slow in the bottom corner over my GPU.

Also, like I mentioned, I want to make a nice exaust cover ontop of that to cover it up, Im thinking of a nice narrow tip that blows back into an open end with ends that spike down and are turned in, and put some mesh over top of the end there. Place a nice hole in the front panel of it with a nice clear piece of plexi glass with a really bright LED (the ones I been trying to figure out herelol) for a nice sneek peak into it, but not enough to see the destruction. Also, either put a LED 120mm fan in, or mod the Vantec (dont know if i can without sacrificing it's silence). If I can do that, I probably wont add the LED in the front plexi, let the fan shine through.

Edit: BTw, I only payed 20 bucks for the dremel in the end.

Now you got your dremel. A dangerous tool, really. I mean not for you, but for everything you own. If you have it, it wants to be used. It´s one of those basic laws. If i have an unused fan lying around it doesn´t take long until i mount it - needed or not.

I´m curious how your case turns out once you´ve finished modding it. I mean, it will probably look a little "trashy", but that´s cool. What i´m more interested in, is how much cooler the components will be in the end and if the case fans will sound like a 747 approaching the air port... :D

Oh, and don´t forget to post pictures. Everybody loves pictures! :)

soul40k

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
I would just like to say that I like backing up my crazy opinions with this.

YESOMG.gif

Also, my newest fan, loud, but i love it ^^

Only 3megs.

http://www.helsource.com/extra/videos/Video2.avi

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I love the dremel!! What you wanted to do in this case was yes keep using the disks. They take practice, and go slow and you wont break them. Make the inner hole a bit smaller then the actual fan port size. About an 1/8th inch smaller all around. When your done switch to a grinding bit. Use the grinding bit to finish out the hole. Then yes even your butchered hole will look nice and pretty once you buy a custom fan grill for it.

Nice work. 8)

soul40k

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
BAh, no comment on my uber cooling :( lol :p

But yea, im currently looking for a nice 120mm fan grill, dont want the stock crap, even though i have the stock crap on the side case...

Anyways, im slowly working on the exaust, but it's taking some time working it out on cardboard first, I will take pics and post them as i go.

soul40k

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
Yea, that was the one thing I was pissed at, I tried going from the underside, but the way my case is, it is rivoted to the skeleton, and I didn't want to grind away the rivots and remove it.

A Nibler hmm? Well, I will look at that. I am going to try and get an ultrabright fan for the top, and just change my fans from, whne I want them to be cool clooking but loud, and when I want them to be silent as hell. Vantec Stealths are amazing for low sound but high air flow.

Still, anyone have ideas for what I should do for an exaust hood?

soul40k

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
Yea, that was fun, having chunks of metal flying at my face... That was the point that i put on a set o glasses.

Larger fiberglass reinforced.. Gotta remember that.

Haha, dont worry, I can understand what your saying. Thanks again for the elp, your alwats in my topics helping ^^.

qwerty: Yea, I started and found out that it wouldnt work, and went to jigsaw, and I couldnt exactly make the turn as you can see lol.

Nice. I've been thinking of doing much the same thing to add a top blow-hole to my case; this just serves as inspiration.

My only concern is that the extra exhaust will prevent the PSU from adequately cooling itself. Would you guys recommend either:
A. Turning the rear exhaust into an intake, or
B. Removing one or more bottom slot covers to serve as an extra intake hole, with a screen over it as a filter?

soul40k

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
I agree, do not change anything like that, you always want more exaust than intake frfom my experience, you want intake to be in the front and low, or on the side, and exaust to be high and back and on the top.

soul40k

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
Well, it's been a while, but I haven't gone home yet to work on my exaust duct yet so it still looks like poo, I finally got my camera back though again from being broken and decided to take pictres of my actual computer.

This also leads to another question. My NB is EXTREMELYLYLYLY hot, like i touch it and go owowowowowoowowowow hot.

Heres the directory with the pic's,

http://www.helsource.com/extra/computer/

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to cool that puppy down while not having to move my Video card?

Thanks!

soul40k

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
I guess the only thing i can think of would be to move my video card down to the other PCI-E slot and not have the transistors in the way.. But i lik ehow it is now ^^ any suggestions anyways?

Is there an intake fan where that spiral grill is near the drives? If not, add one.
It looks like the heat pipes alone just might not be cutting it, or perhaps the radiators aren't getting enough airflow. Have you tested the NB temps after the case has been closed? It looks like an open case won't have much airflow through it. Closing the case and adding a low intake might help the NB cool down.

Nixum

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
Off-topic question for Soul40k.

Which software are you using to monitor your temps, voltage, etc? (The one in the pic) It looks very nice, better than speedfan.

soul40k

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
Is there an intake fan where that spiral grill is near the drives? If not, add one.
It looks like the heat pipes alone just might not be cutting it, or perhaps the radiators aren't getting enough airflow. Have you tested the NB temps after the case has been closed? It looks like an open case won't have much airflow through it. Closing the case and adding a low intake might help the NB cool down.

Ive been having a lot of problems trying to get the fans that I place in there, to actually fit. The screws that I have are the right size for the fans, but the wholes in the case are too big. So it just slids out. Next time I take my system apart, im going to open up into the case itself and like.. tiewrap them in there if need be. Those pictures were taken after having the case closed for a long while. I have a side panel intake going onto the GPU, CPU, RAM, NB, everything lol.

Which software are you using to monitor your temps, voltage, etc? (The one in the pic) It looks very nice, better than speedfan.

This is software that came with my motherboard (ASUS M2N Deluxe) It is called PC Probe II v1.02.01 and as you can see it can measure the voltage, the temp, and the fan speeds, what ever is conencted to the MOBO more or less.

Whoa. Did you cut that out too?

If your talking about the top 120mm fan, then yes, I did cut that out. Looks horrible ont he top, but reduced my cases temp about 4-6Degrees C. But also it oculd be that my Arctic cooler64 pro is setteling (but that temp reading was taken just as i put it in sooo yea (well after like a while and heavy gaming))

But yea, I will continue trying to add the 2 front fans, but its no easy task, the case wasnt put together to be taken apart lol.

soul40k

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
The loudest fan I have is on my 7600GT OC.

All of the fans I buy are Vantec Stealths. I find they are the best CFM / DB ratio and are realllly cheap.

Ive been having a lot of problems trying to get the fans that I place in there, to actually fit. The screws that I have are the right size for the fans, but the wholes in the case are too big. So it just slids out.

I don't know about the Vantecs, but in addition to those wide short plastic screws, my fans (TT or Arctic Cooling, I think) typically also come with some really long thin bolts too. You might try those, possibly with some washers. You could make custom washers with your Dremel if you need to.

Well, I would suggest a suggest a General Shop class............I think you had some pretty good ideas here, but your knowledge of tools, how to use them, and craftmanship could use a little refinement. :)

Find something like old coffee cans, beer cans, or anything, and practice cutting/trimming/slicing and dicing before you butcher anything else!

Shodar

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
This also leads to another question. My NB is EXTREMELYLYLYLY hot, like i touch it and go owowowowowoowowowow hot.
Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to cool that puppy down while not having to move my Video card?

Thanks!

Just a suggestion, and may not work due to the vid card being there... but....

ThermalTake Universal NB Cooler

--Shodar

soul40k

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
JITPublisher said:
I don't know about the Vantecs, but in addition to those wide short plastic screws, my fans (TT or Arctic Cooling, I think) typically also come with some really long thin bolts too. You might try those, possibly with some washers. You could make custom washers with your Dremel if you need to.
OoOoO Nuts and bolts!! never thought of that. I will try somea that technology out.

Well, I would suggest a suggest a General Shop class............I think you had some pretty good ideas here, but your knowledge of tools, how to use them, and craftmanship could use a little refinement.

Find something like old coffee cans, beer cans, or anything, and practice cutting/trimming/slicing and dicing before you butcher anything else!

Hahaha thanks :p I really dont care the condition of my case, as long as it does what i ment it to do, then allllls good.

Just a suggestion, and may not work due to the vid card being there... but....

ThermalTake Universal NB Cooler http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835116018

That seems like something that would work, anyone else have an opinon on this one?