Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Fax Software for Canon MP780

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 10:04:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Since the Canon MP 780 does not come with fax composition software (a major
flaw in this AIO), does anyone have recommendations on a fax software
package that works well. Did a CNET search and WinFaxPro got abysmal
ratings.
BTW, I'm using WinXP w/SP2.
August 20, 2005 10:04:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

> Since the Canon MP 780 does not come with fax composition software (a major
> flaw in this AIO), does anyone have recommendations on a fax software
> package that works well. Did a CNET search and WinFaxPro got abysmal
> ratings.

I consider winfaxpro to be a bloated piece of filth. I installed it
once in a case where I wanted a fax modem shared on the network.
Technicaly you do this by installing the same software on all machines
and tell the slave machines to use the faxproserver elsewhere. It was
a massive application considering the only features one really need are
an address book, and to print to a fax device. Given Windows already
has this just doesn't support fax sharing, I can see why this product
was reviewed poorly.

Most people I know who have AIOs use their favorite word processor for
composition such as word, or even wordpad or notepad for simple text
faxing. Those who don't have AIOs use the MS-fax device that comes
with windows. In the 20th century Quicklink was often bundled with
modems. Their current product is Hotfax message center.
http://www.smithmicro.com/default.tpl?cart=110385942613...

An important thing to ask.. and franky I don't know... is if you
install the mP780 on a standard pc, can the PC use the mP780 to fax.
Another thing to look for is what was the software application your old
AIO used to compose faxes... if you can access it click help and about
and find it if it's available as a stand alone purchace.
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 1:40:22 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I'm not sure what you mean by "fax composition software". With the Canon
software for the unit properly installed you should be able to send and
receive faxes. The software should enable you to compose a cover page for
your outgoing faxes.

"Ann Meffert" <annmef1@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:8hKNe.641917$cg1.270028@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Since the Canon MP 780 does not come with fax composition software (a
> major flaw in this AIO), does anyone have recommendations on a fax
> software package that works well. Did a CNET search and WinFaxPro got
> abysmal ratings.
> BTW, I'm using WinXP w/SP2.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 11:48:26 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I contacted Canon tech support, which has been quick to reply, but not
particularly thorough in their replies. Here is the latest from them:

INQUIRY: I bought the 780 to replace an HP T45 All-in-One. I am used to the
HP fax software, which allows me to compose my fax and send through the HP
software. It also includes a fax log, pending faxes, sent faxes, and a fax
address book. Please tell me if the 780 software has the same features.
If not, what software do I need to use? My WinXP has Works and Word. I
prefer to keep my fax data affiliated with my fax machine.

Dear Ann Meffert:

Thank you for writing to us. We value you as a Canon customer and
appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

The MP780 does not come with any fax software; however, it does install a
fax printer driver. This will allow you to compose a document in a program,
and then print it to the fax driver. The fax driver will communicate with
the MP780 and send it out.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Please feel free to contact
us again if you have any other questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Devin
Technical Support Representative



"Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:UATNe.68$fP6.10048@news.uswest.net...
> I'm not sure what you mean by "fax composition software". With the Canon
> software for the unit properly installed you should be able to send and
> receive faxes. The software should enable you to compose a cover page for
> your outgoing faxes.
>
> "Ann Meffert" <annmef1@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> news:8hKNe.641917$cg1.270028@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>> Since the Canon MP 780 does not come with fax composition software (a
>> major flaw in this AIO), does anyone have recommendations on a fax
>> software package that works well. Did a CNET search and WinFaxPro got
>> abysmal ratings.
>> BTW, I'm using WinXP w/SP2.
>>
>
>
August 22, 2005 3:25:46 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

--Canon Tech Support
> The MP780 does not come with any fax software; however, it does install a
> fax printer driver. This will allow you to compose a document in a program,
> and then print it to the fax driver. The fax driver will communicate with
> the MP780 and send it out.

That sounds like tech support to me. They won't reccomend software...
unless it's their own, I can't fault them for that even though I poke
fun at their technicaly accurate but useless answers.

The real question is can the mp780 work with 3rd party fax software.
The problem is what you are looking for basicly exists as software the
acts as a print driver to a fax modem where the mp780 already has a
driver to it's own fax modem. While I'm sure you can use any
applicatin to "print to fax" there are not really provisions in
printers to have phone numbers... so you are dependent on the fax
driver's phone book, if it even has one.

It really sounds like this device is not your bag, but what might be
your bag would be standard ordinary fax software that talks with your
existing fax modem, the one in your PC. Applications like the old
Quicklink fax while they didn't serve to compose faxes took output from
any application.. converted it to TIF and not only sent it to the 3rd
party fax but saved it localy. There were also address books to make
your life easier, cover pages, etc etc etc. Lowest entry cost, lowest
replacement cost.

Now.. what is decent as far as the mP series goes is the scan to e-mail
feature. It supports PDF and fax modems are pretty limited in speed,
9600 14.4k tops. Dialup modem ranges from 28.8 to 56k on the
downstream... upstream is limited to 33.6k in most cases. In other
words pdf via e-mail has a 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 speed advantage over fax
even if you are sending info to a dialup user. Not to speak of lack
of toll charges and the speed advantage when sending to non-dialup
users.
August 23, 2005 6:50:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

> I did, however, want to get into digital photography printing and photo restoration to
> CD. I thought this machine might do everything I need.

On thing the canon does do is print onto CDs unlike the HP. This
feature is not enabled in the americas but can easily be enabled.

http://pixma.cjb.net/ - Quick and easy guide
http://pixma-faq.cjb.net/ - more verbose info

Trays for CD-printing were available via partnow.com via a phone in
order, but i'm told they are out of stock
https://www.epsoncdtray.com/displayProductDocument.hg?p...
Are also out of stock
Ebay search for "canon cd tray" usually yields one or two. Pricemark
was down to $25 ish but now supplies are lowish the price is probally
back up to $35.

> I thought this machine might do everything I need. I don't understand why
> these !@#$% printer companies can't give customers what they want and need.
> Am I just missing some major point with this machine because
> of new equipment phobia?

Generally speaking... fax composistion software is not needed. It
would be helpful if you can click on help and find out who made the fax
composition software your using on the HP and see if that will do the
trick. You might also see if the software that came with the HP works
with the Canon.

AIOs tend to cost more than standalones for two reasons. They have
more things onboard, and they often come with bonus software typicaly
made by some other guys. I'll agree the software compliment on the HP
is better than that on the Canon AIO esp when it comes to fax. Even
Lexmark has a better software compliment. But it is a mistake thinking
you need a AIO to fax digital documents. Any fax modem that typicaly
comes with any PC built within the past 10 years supports fax.

Fax support is dwindling very quickly. While still a popular standard
e-mail is becoming more popular .. so traditional fax simply not
really not as needed as it once was. The only reason I can see buying
an AIO with a faxmodem on board is if you need to fax paper documents.


But basicly, you are annoyed because the AIO you bought does not
include a piece of software you desire. Fair enough. Your choice is
to either find the software elsewhere, change the way you do things so
you are not dependent on any one AIO, or buy the AIO that has the
software you have. Nothing wrong with saying this printer doesn't meet
your needs, but at least what you need is software.
August 23, 2005 11:08:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

> The Epson 200 that came with my Nikon D50, which I returned in order to get
> another AIO, did have a CD print tray, which I thought was a pretty nice
> bonus.

I liked the r200 in the fact that the color rendering was superb, and
looked good on all media types. The canon... well doesn't but in my
experence is less prone to clog. CD printing on the canon seems to
work best if you up the intensity dial on your print driver to dark and
+10 or +15. Aside from this mild annoyance it does a good job, esp
with black text, though the epson I found to be better for white text
on a color background. The r200 is geared to self distruct... as in
it's diper becomes too full and refuses to print after a relativly
short period of time... and not only can't be replaced by the end user
but according to someone in this group part of the printer's case is so
fragile that it has to be destroyed to replace the diaper. The canon
also has a diaper, but does not fill up nearly so quickly as the epson,
the volume of waste in is less, not as little as HP. It can be
repalced, not by your average end user but it is possible without
destroying the printer. There is a work around for the r200 to route
ink elsewhere. The only other benifit to the r200 was that you could
get away with using non-printable discs in the printer so long as you
were willing to wait a week, a month, or however long for the ink to
dry. It's not beautiful but legible. Canon isn't legible at all on
non-printable media... in fact the ink beads up and rolls off the disk.


The Canon CD printing software is nothing at all to write home about,
in fact it's rather horrid. Epsons is only slightly better. But
that's software, and software can be replaced. Surething doesn't
directly support the canon cd printing but there is a template you can
ask for from support. I'm sure there are other options, but I'm not
aware of them.

The tray is costly... parts now had the cheapest price for under
$10ish... about $12/$14 shipped.

But needless to say each printer has it's benifits... at least with
software you can if worse comes to worse get it selsewhere. CD
printing on the other hand you can only get in Epson's stand alone
units and Canon indluing their AIOs.

There are new AIOs from canon, but none with a faxmodem onboard or a
sheet feeder. The new ones offer higher resolution and take new ink.
I know nothing about CD printing on them, only the
ip3000/4000/5000/6000/8500/mp750/760/780.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 1:09:12 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I'm beginning to lose all interest in the MP780 that has now been sitting
unopened in its box in my living room for over a week. Why? This fax mess
and my reluctance to learn a new way to do faxes, which appears more
complicated than the HP's. I'm considering taking it back for now and just
using the T45 for a while longer. I did, however, want to get into digital
photography printing and photo restoration to CD. I thought this machine
might do everything I need. I don't understand why these !@#$% printer
companies can't give customers what they want and need. HP wants to control
their printer ink profits by only selling combination cartridges and Canon
gives you a nice AIO without any blankety blank fax software. Am I just
missing some major point with this machine because of new equipment phobia?
"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1124691946.449963.189800@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> --Canon Tech Support
>> The MP780 does not come with any fax software; however, it does install a
>> fax printer driver. This will allow you to compose a document in a
>> program,
>> and then print it to the fax driver. The fax driver will communicate
>> with
>> the MP780 and send it out.
>
> That sounds like tech support to me. They won't reccomend software...
> unless it's their own, I can't fault them for that even though I poke
> fun at their technicaly accurate but useless answers.
>
> The real question is can the mp780 work with 3rd party fax software.
> The problem is what you are looking for basicly exists as software the
> acts as a print driver to a fax modem where the mp780 already has a
> driver to it's own fax modem. While I'm sure you can use any
> applicatin to "print to fax" there are not really provisions in
> printers to have phone numbers... so you are dependent on the fax
> driver's phone book, if it even has one.
>
> It really sounds like this device is not your bag, but what might be
> your bag would be standard ordinary fax software that talks with your
> existing fax modem, the one in your PC. Applications like the old
> Quicklink fax while they didn't serve to compose faxes took output from
> any application.. converted it to TIF and not only sent it to the 3rd
> party fax but saved it localy. There were also address books to make
> your life easier, cover pages, etc etc etc. Lowest entry cost, lowest
> replacement cost.
>
> Now.. what is decent as far as the mP series goes is the scan to e-mail
> feature. It supports PDF and fax modems are pretty limited in speed,
> 9600 14.4k tops. Dialup modem ranges from 28.8 to 56k on the
> downstream... upstream is limited to 33.6k in most cases. In other
> words pdf via e-mail has a 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 speed advantage over fax
> even if you are sending info to a dialup user. Not to speak of lack
> of toll charges and the speed advantage when sending to non-dialup
> users.
>
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 2:03:00 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

IT IS THE BEST OF THE MULTI FUNCTION PRINTERS. DO NOT LET THAT STOP
YOU. IT IS NOT ALL THAT COMPLICATED.

Ann Meffert wrote:

>I'm beginning to lose all interest in the MP780 that has now been sitting
>unopened in its box in my living room for over a week. Why? This fax mess
>and my reluctance to learn a new way to do faxes, which appears more
>complicated than the HP's. I'm considering taking it back for now and just
>using the T45 for a while longer. I did, however, want to get into digital
>photography printing and photo restoration to CD. I thought this machine
>might do everything I need. I don't understand why these !@#$% printer
>companies can't give customers what they want and need. HP wants to control
>their printer ink profits by only selling combination cartridges and Canon
>gives you a nice AIO without any blankety blank fax software. Am I just
>missing some major point with this machine because of new equipment phobia?
>"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:1124691946.449963.189800@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>
>
>>--Canon Tech Support
>>
>>
>>>The MP780 does not come with any fax software; however, it does install a
>>>fax printer driver. This will allow you to compose a document in a
>>>program,
>>>and then print it to the fax driver. The fax driver will communicate
>>>with
>>>the MP780 and send it out.
>>>
>>>
>>That sounds like tech support to me. They won't reccomend software...
>>unless it's their own, I can't fault them for that even though I poke
>>fun at their technicaly accurate but useless answers.
>>
>>The real question is can the mp780 work with 3rd party fax software.
>>The problem is what you are looking for basicly exists as software the
>>acts as a print driver to a fax modem where the mp780 already has a
>>driver to it's own fax modem. While I'm sure you can use any
>>applicatin to "print to fax" there are not really provisions in
>>printers to have phone numbers... so you are dependent on the fax
>>driver's phone book, if it even has one.
>>
>>It really sounds like this device is not your bag, but what might be
>>your bag would be standard ordinary fax software that talks with your
>>existing fax modem, the one in your PC. Applications like the old
>>Quicklink fax while they didn't serve to compose faxes took output from
>>any application.. converted it to TIF and not only sent it to the 3rd
>>party fax but saved it localy. There were also address books to make
>>your life easier, cover pages, etc etc etc. Lowest entry cost, lowest
>>replacement cost.
>>
>>Now.. what is decent as far as the mP series goes is the scan to e-mail
>>feature. It supports PDF and fax modems are pretty limited in speed,
>>9600 14.4k tops. Dialup modem ranges from 28.8 to 56k on the
>>downstream... upstream is limited to 33.6k in most cases. In other
>>words pdf via e-mail has a 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 speed advantage over fax
>>even if you are sending info to a dialup user. Not to speak of lack
>>of toll charges and the speed advantage when sending to non-dialup
>>users.
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 4:16:52 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I appreciate your understanding and rational evaluation of the problem. I
have to decide before Saturday as that is the end of my 2-week return period
to Staples. I really didn't know I could get the Canon to print to CDs. The
Epson 200 that came with my Nikon D50, which I returned in order to get
another AIO, did have a CD print tray, which I thought was a pretty nice
bonus. I'll look into what you have suggested re: the CD tray. Or, I could
just move to Europe, which increasingly sounds very appealing!

"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1124833819.676589.315590@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> I did, however, want to get into digital photography printing and photo
>> restoration to
>> CD. I thought this machine might do everything I need.
>
> On thing the canon does do is print onto CDs unlike the HP. This
> feature is not enabled in the americas but can easily be enabled.
>
> http://pixma.cjb.net/ - Quick and easy guide
> http://pixma-faq.cjb.net/ - more verbose info
>
> Trays for CD-printing were available via partnow.com via a phone in
> order, but i'm told they are out of stock
> https://www.epsoncdtray.com/displayProductDocument.hg?p...
> Are also out of stock
> Ebay search for "canon cd tray" usually yields one or two. Pricemark
> was down to $25 ish but now supplies are lowish the price is probally
> back up to $35.
>
>> I thought this machine might do everything I need. I don't understand why
>> these !@#$% printer companies can't give customers what they want and
>> need.
>> Am I just missing some major point with this machine because
>> of new equipment phobia?
>
> Generally speaking... fax composistion software is not needed. It
> would be helpful if you can click on help and find out who made the fax
> composition software your using on the HP and see if that will do the
> trick. You might also see if the software that came with the HP works
> with the Canon.
>
> AIOs tend to cost more than standalones for two reasons. They have
> more things onboard, and they often come with bonus software typicaly
> made by some other guys. I'll agree the software compliment on the HP
> is better than that on the Canon AIO esp when it comes to fax. Even
> Lexmark has a better software compliment. But it is a mistake thinking
> you need a AIO to fax digital documents. Any fax modem that typicaly
> comes with any PC built within the past 10 years supports fax.
>
> Fax support is dwindling very quickly. While still a popular standard
> e-mail is becoming more popular .. so traditional fax simply not
> really not as needed as it once was. The only reason I can see buying
> an AIO with a faxmodem on board is if you need to fax paper documents.
>
>
> But basicly, you are annoyed because the AIO you bought does not
> include a piece of software you desire. Fair enough. Your choice is
> to either find the software elsewhere, change the way you do things so
> you are not dependent on any one AIO, or buy the AIO that has the
> software you have. Nothing wrong with saying this printer doesn't meet
> your needs, but at least what you need is software.
>
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 9:05:48 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Thanks again. You seem to keep up on the printer world. Glad you're here to
offer advice.

"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1124849334.819325.16710@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>> The Epson 200 that came with my Nikon D50, which I returned in order to
>> get
>> another AIO, did have a CD print tray, which I thought was a pretty nice
>> bonus.
>
> I liked the r200 in the fact that the color rendering was superb, and
> looked good on all media types. The canon... well doesn't but in my
> experence is less prone to clog. CD printing on the canon seems to
> work best if you up the intensity dial on your print driver to dark and
> +10 or +15. Aside from this mild annoyance it does a good job, esp
> with black text, though the epson I found to be better for white text
> on a color background. The r200 is geared to self distruct... as in
> it's diper becomes too full and refuses to print after a relativly
> short period of time... and not only can't be replaced by the end user
> but according to someone in this group part of the printer's case is so
> fragile that it has to be destroyed to replace the diaper. The canon
> also has a diaper, but does not fill up nearly so quickly as the epson,
> the volume of waste in is less, not as little as HP. It can be
> repalced, not by your average end user but it is possible without
> destroying the printer. There is a work around for the r200 to route
> ink elsewhere. The only other benifit to the r200 was that you could
> get away with using non-printable discs in the printer so long as you
> were willing to wait a week, a month, or however long for the ink to
> dry. It's not beautiful but legible. Canon isn't legible at all on
> non-printable media... in fact the ink beads up and rolls off the disk.
>
>
> The Canon CD printing software is nothing at all to write home about,
> in fact it's rather horrid. Epsons is only slightly better. But
> that's software, and software can be replaced. Surething doesn't
> directly support the canon cd printing but there is a template you can
> ask for from support. I'm sure there are other options, but I'm not
> aware of them.
>
> The tray is costly... parts now had the cheapest price for under
> $10ish... about $12/$14 shipped.
>
> But needless to say each printer has it's benifits... at least with
> software you can if worse comes to worse get it selsewhere. CD
> printing on the other hand you can only get in Epson's stand alone
> units and Canon indluing their AIOs.
>
> There are new AIOs from canon, but none with a faxmodem onboard or a
> sheet feeder. The new ones offer higher resolution and take new ink.
> I know nothing about CD printing on them, only the
> ip3000/4000/5000/6000/8500/mp750/760/780.
>
!