WINXP upgrade form WIN 98 SE

Processor Athlon 2000+
RAM 256mb, 16 of that devoted to onboard sound and video.

Forewarned is forearmed and all that. :-)

I am anticipating an upgrade from Win98 SE to WIN XP Pro in the next week.

Currently, I have a Windows directory used by IE for favorites and as a
working directory for Outlook Express which I never use AND I have a working
directory for Win 98SE named Win98rel1 (Windows name choice on a reinstall
of Win 98 SE.)

I can graft the favorites tree to the correct place under Win98rel1, as to
the OE I really don't care if it is carried forward at all.

Obviously my registry points to Windows for favorites and OE, to Win98rel1
for the rest of the system.

What prep should I do in the above aspect prior to installing XP Pro?

FACE
14 answers Last reply
More about winxp upgrade form

    While should certainly back up the things that are important to you before
    any upgrade, if you car going to upgrade to Windows XP over your present
    98SE setup, it is going to move folders and otherwise change the pointers
    you have created as by default, such items are in different places on the XP
    setup. XP installs creating various user accounts and folders. Your
    current favorites, for example will be moved to your user name folder under
    Documents and Settings under the C drive.

    There is nothing you can do to change that ahead of time as these folder
    designations are part of the default setup under XP. You may need to
    restore your OE information as that may not go where you expect. Please see
    the following Knowledge Base Article for information about backing up and
    restoring your data in Outlook Express:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;270670

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    FACE wrote:
    > Processor Athlon 2000+
    > RAM 256mb, 16 of that devoted to onboard sound and video.
    >
    > Forewarned is forearmed and all that. :-)
    >
    > I am anticipating an upgrade from Win98 SE to WIN XP Pro in the next
    > week.
    >
    > Currently, I have a Windows directory used by IE for favorites and
    > as
    > a working directory for Outlook Express which I never use AND I have
    > a working directory for Win 98SE named Win98rel1 (Windows name
    > choice
    > on a reinstall of Win 98 SE.)
    >
    > I can graft the favorites tree to the correct place under Win98rel1,
    > as to the OE I really don't care if it is carried forward at all.
    >
    > Obviously my registry points to Windows for favorites and OE, to
    > Win98rel1 for the rest of the system.
    >
    > What prep should I do in the above aspect prior to installing XP
    > Pro?
    >
    > FACE

    Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
    Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    hardware components or applications.

    You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
    still support Win9x.

    HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

    Upgrading to Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH

    Thank you for your input on this matter. -- FACE

    On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 13:49:10 -0800, "Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP\)"
    <user@#notme.com> wrote:

    >While should certainly back up the things that are important to you before
    >any upgrade, if you car going to upgrade to Windows XP over your present
    >98SE setup, it is going to move folders and otherwise change the pointers
    >you have created as by default, such items are in different places on the XP
    >setup. XP installs creating various user accounts and folders. Your
    >current favorites, for example will be moved to your user name folder under
    >Documents and Settings under the C drive.
    >
    >There is nothing you can do to change that ahead of time as these folder
    >designations are part of the default setup under XP. You may need to
    >restore your OE information as that may not go where you expect. Please see
    >the following Knowledge Base Article for information about backing up and
    >restoring your data in Outlook Express:
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;270670

    You're welcome.

    --

    > Thank you for your input on this matter. -- FACE
    >
    > On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 13:49:10 -0800, "Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP\)"
    > <user@#notme.com> wrote:
    >
    >>While should certainly back up the things that are important to you before
    >>any upgrade, if you car going to upgrade to Windows XP over your present
    >>98SE setup, it is going to move folders and otherwise change the pointers
    >>you have created as by default, such items are in different places on the
    >>XP
    >>setup. XP installs creating various user accounts and folders. Your
    >>current favorites, for example will be moved to your user name folder
    >>under
    >>Documents and Settings under the C drive.
    >>
    >>There is nothing you can do to change that ahead of time as these folder
    >>designations are part of the default setup under XP. You may need to
    >>restore your OE information as that may not go where you expect. Please
    >>see
    >>the following Knowledge Base Article for information about backing up and
    >>restoring your data in Outlook Express:
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;270670

    To see what programs need to be disabled or removed before upgrading to XP
    and to make sure your system will handle XP, download the Upgrade Advisor
    from
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/advisor.mspx.
    ..
    Once you determine that your system can handle XP and you have the XP cd,
    run the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard from the XP cd so that XP can
    save your settings. After the upgrade, the FAST Wizard can restore your
    Windows 98 settings. See
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293118 on how to use
    the Wizard.

    Consider adding another 256MB to your system. You can run XP in 256MB, but
    you may be back here asking for advice as to why your system runs a little
    slowly or why the hard drive wants to run a lot.

    "FACE" <AFaceintheCrowd@today.net> wrote in message
    > Processor Athlon 2000+
    > RAM 256mb, 16 of that devoted to onboard sound and video.
    >
    > Forewarned is forearmed and all that. :-)
    >
    > I am anticipating an upgrade from Win98 SE to WIN XP Pro in the next week.
    >
    > Currently, I have a Windows directory used by IE for favorites and as a
    > working directory for Outlook Express which I never use AND I have a
    > working
    > directory for Win 98SE named Win98rel1 (Windows name choice on a reinstall
    > of Win 98 SE.)
    >
    > I can graft the favorites tree to the correct place under Win98rel1, as to
    > the OE I really don't care if it is carried forward at all.
    >
    > Obviously my registry points to Windows for favorites and OE, to Win98rel1
    > for the rest of the system.
    >
    > What prep should I do in the above aspect prior to installing XP Pro?
    >
    > FACE

    Sorry, Bruce, I didn't see your post. Didn't mean to step on it.

    > FACE wrote:
    >> Processor Athlon 2000+
    >> RAM 256mb, 16 of that devoted to onboard sound and video.
    >>
    >> Forewarned is forearmed and all that. :-)
    >>
    >> I am anticipating an upgrade from Win98 SE to WIN XP Pro in the next
    >> week.
    >>
    >> Currently, I have a Windows directory used by IE for favorites and as
    >> a working directory for Outlook Express which I never use AND I have
    >> a working directory for Win 98SE named Win98rel1 (Windows name choice
    >> on a reinstall of Win 98 SE.)
    >>
    >> I can graft the favorites tree to the correct place under Win98rel1,
    >> as to the OE I really don't care if it is carried forward at all.
    >>
    >> Obviously my registry points to Windows for favorites and OE, to
    >> Win98rel1 for the rest of the system.
    >>
    >> What prep should I do in the above aspect prior to installing XP Pro?
    >>
    >> FACE
    >

    > Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    > of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    > manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    > (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
    > Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    > hardware components or applications.
    >
    > You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    > there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    > components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    > Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    > with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    > hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    > models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    > consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    > before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    > hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
    > still support Win9x.
    >
    > HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639
    >
    > Upgrading to Windows XP
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm
    >
    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    I am getting a new computer with a 160GB hard drive and would like to
    partition it with Windows XP.
    Basically, MS instructions say with Disk Management to right click on
    unallocated space and follow
    dirctions. Is is as simple as this? Will this wipe out my operating system
    as Windows XP will be on that disk?

    I would like to create a primary and an extended partition which I can then
    subdivide into logical drives.
    Any suggestions or pitfalls to consider before I tackle this?

    Windows XP Disk Management can only create a new partition if there is free
    space, that is, unpartitioned space on your hard drive. New systems rarely
    come with any unpartitioned space. Hence, in order to do what you want
    without destroying the original setup, you would need third party software
    such as Partition Magic or System Commander as they have the ability to
    resize an existing partition without destroying it. XP cannot do that.

    NOTE: even with the proper tools designed for the task, things can go wrong
    so you should always be well backed up before attempting an operation such
    as this.

    --

    "miner" <miner_sar@telunplanet.net> wrote in message
    >I am getting a new computer with a 160GB hard drive and would like to
    > partition it with Windows XP.
    > Basically, MS instructions say with Disk Management to right click on
    > unallocated space and follow
    > dirctions. Is is as simple as this? Will this wipe out my operating system
    > as Windows XP will be on that disk?
    >
    > I would like to create a primary and an extended partition which I can
    > then
    > subdivide into logical drives.
    > Any suggestions or pitfalls to consider before I tackle this?

    "FACE" <AFaceintheCrowd@today.net> wrote in message
    > Processor Athlon 2000+
    > RAM 256mb, 16 of that devoted to onboard sound and video.
    >
    > Forewarned is forearmed and all that. :-)
    >
    > I am anticipating an upgrade from Win98 SE to WIN XP Pro in the next
    > week.
    >
    > Currently, I have a Windows directory used by IE for favorites and as
    > a working directory for Outlook Express which I never use AND I have
    > a working directory for Win 98SE named Win98rel1 (Windows name choice
    > on a reinstall of Win 98 SE.)
    >
    > I can graft the favorites tree to the correct place under Win98rel1,
    > as to the OE I really don't care if it is carried forward at all.
    >
    > Obviously my registry points to Windows for favorites and OE, to
    > Win98rel1 for the rest of the system.
    >
    > What prep should I do in the above aspect prior to installing XP Pro?
    >
    > FACE

    In IE use File | Import and Export to export your favorites to a single HTM
    file and save that to import into the new installation.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > Sorry, Bruce, I didn't see your post. Didn't mean to step on it.

    No apology necessary, Colin. You didn't "step on" my post, you
    simply reinforced it.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH

    On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 04:26:08 -0600, "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP"
    <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote:

    >"FACE" <AFaceintheCrowd@today.net> wrote in message

    >> I can graft the favorites tree to the correct place under Win98rel1,
    >> as to the OE I really don't care if it is carried forward at all.
    >>
    >> Obviously my registry points to Windows for favorites and OE, to
    >> Win98rel1 for the rest of the system.
    >>
    >> What prep should I do in the above aspect prior to installing XP Pro?
    >>
    >> FACE
    >
    >In IE use File | Import and Export to export your favorites to a single HTM
    >file and save that to import into the new installation.

    Thank you. -- F

    I would probably look at some more RAM also - I did the upgrade from 98SE to
    Xp Pro and had 384Mb RAM - then I found things to be running really slow -
    XP would take up to 2 minutes to boot up (p4 1.7G Processor) I now have a Gb
    Ram and takes about 35 sec - and all works really well. remember RAM is
    cheap :)

    On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 08:25:00 +1100, "Flyingkiwi" <nospam@idontthinkso.com>
    wrote:

    >I would probably look at some more RAM also - I did the upgrade from 98SE to
    >Xp Pro and had 384Mb RAM - then I found things to be running really slow -
    >XP would take up to 2 minutes to boot up (p4 1.7G Processor) I now have a Gb
    >Ram and takes about 35 sec - and all works really well. remember RAM is
    >cheap :)

    You guys are making me think twice on this. (OK. I already thought twice,
    so just again.) I already have XP Pro coming though. I will say that I
    previously ran Win98 (Original) on 32meg of RAM just fine -- but this looks
    like a whole different ballgame. Two minutes, eh? Is anybody here doing
    better than that on 256?

    FACE

    >"FACE" <AFaceintheCrowd@today.net> wrote in message
    >> Processor Athlon 2000+
    >> RAM 256mb, 16 of that devoted to onboard sound and video.
    >>
    >> Forewarned is forearmed and all that. :-)
    >>
    >> I am anticipating an upgrade from Win98 SE to WIN XP Pro in the next week.
    >>
    >> Currently, I have a Windows directory used by IE for favorites and as a
    >> working directory for Outlook Express which I never use AND I have a
    >> working
    >> directory for Win 98SE named Win98rel1 (Windows name choice on a reinstall
    >> of Win 98 SE.)
    >>
    >> I can graft the favorites tree to the correct place under Win98rel1, as to
    >> the OE I really don't care if it is carried forward at all.
    >>
    >> Obviously my registry points to Windows for favorites and OE, to Win98rel1
    >> for the rest of the system.
    >>
    >> What prep should I do in the above aspect prior to installing XP Pro?
    >>
    >> FACE

    I use Virtual PC and can adjust the ram allocated to an XP guest. The break
    point for good performance is at 384MB without a lot of software loaded, but
    as I get a system set up the way I like I invariably wind up allocating
    additional ram. 512MB always seems to do it. The only thing slower than a
    computer with too little ram is constipation.

    > On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 08:25:00 +1100, "Flyingkiwi" <nospam@idontthinkso.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I would probably look at some more RAM also - I did the upgrade from 98SE
    >>Xp Pro and had 384Mb RAM - then I found things to be running really slow -
    >>XP would take up to 2 minutes to boot up (p4 1.7G Processor) I now have a
    >>Gb
    >>Ram and takes about 35 sec - and all works really well. remember RAM is
    >>cheap :)
    >>

    > You guys are making me think twice on this. (OK. I already thought twice,
    > so just again.) I already have XP Pro coming though. I will say that I
    > previously ran Win98 (Original) on 32meg of RAM just fine -- but this
    > looks
    > like a whole different ballgame. Two minutes, eh? Is anybody here doing
    > better than that on 256?
    >
    > FACE
    >>
    >>"FACE" <AFaceintheCrowd@today.net> wrote in message
    >>> Processor Athlon 2000+
    >>> RAM 256mb, 16 of that devoted to onboard sound and video.
    >>>
    >>> Forewarned is forearmed and all that. :-)
    >>>
    >>> I am anticipating an upgrade from Win98 SE to WIN XP Pro in the next
    >>> week.
    >>>
    >>> Currently, I have a Windows directory used by IE for favorites and as a
    >>> working directory for Outlook Express which I never use AND I have a
    >>> working
    >>> directory for Win 98SE named Win98rel1 (Windows name choice on a
    >>> reinstall
    >>> of Win 98 SE.)
    >>>
    >>> I can graft the favorites tree to the correct place under Win98rel1, as
    >>> the OE I really don't care if it is carried forward at all.
    >>>
    >>> Obviously my registry points to Windows for favorites and OE, to
    >>> Win98rel1
    >>> for the rest of the system.
    >>>
    >>> What prep should I do in the above aspect prior to installing XP Pro?
    >>>
    >>> FACE

Favorites Windows XP