Overclocking an X800XL, possible or not??

Supernoob

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
Hey all!

I've upgraded my vid card to an X800XL (AGP) from a 6600GT (AGP) about 2 months ago and wanted to know if it's possible to overclock to say an X800XT/PE or higher?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Please, no "Upgrade your entire system, go to PCI Express, only costs $1500-2000, rah-rah-rah" I simply can't afford it(interest rates/petrol prices being the issue here). No offense intended, but I've posted on other online forums and thats the sort of responses I've been getting!

Thank you.

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Yes its very possible to overclock, however XT(PE) levels would require some effort. The R430 isnt a notorious overclocking GPU, so my recommendation;
Throw on a better cooling solution and find the max core then memory, and you'll have your answer.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Throw on a better cooling solution and find the max core then memory, and you'll have your answer.

Considering he is a "supern00b" - no pun intended - I would advise against all an any overclocking unless the budget allows to replace broken hardware.

But if the OP insists on overclocking his card it should be noted that - as Raven said - core and memory should be overclocked separately and in very small increments.

Once the core reaches a point when the card begins to malfunction it should be underclocked a bit at a time until the problem goes away. The same process should be repeated for memory.

techno-freak

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
i agree with raven_87. it,s really hard to push this card to an XT level, i have try OC this card, but max core speed i can reach just about 440Mhz (10% increasement) more than this the artifac came out.

Supernoob

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006

Considering he is a "supern00b" - no pun intended - I would advise against all an any overclocking unless the budget allows to replace broken hardware.

But if the OP insists on overclocking his card it should be noted that - as Raven said - core and memory should be overclocked separately and in very small increments.

Once the core reaches a point when the card begins to malfunction it should be underclocked a bit at a time until the problem goes away. The same process should be repeated for memory.

Sage advice! I think I'll leave it alone as my budget is looking pretty sick at the moment :( I can't really afford a replacement card if things go pear-shaped. :!: