Entreri258

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I recently built a new rig, but I have been having problems with it freezing. I've checked for viruses and spyware, both turing up nothing. I thought that it might be a heat problem, so i used a window fan to blow directly on my motherboard, and it still froze. Any ideas, because I can't think of anything.

AMD X2 4800+
X1900XTX
2 gigs of ram
Gigabyte K8N pro

Entreri258

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
My at rest temps are as follows:
CPU: Everst says that its at 69 degrees C, but EasyTune 4 says its at 24 C
MoBo: 29 C
video card: 47 C

Loaded temps:
CPU: Everest says 70 C, ET4 says 36 C
MoBo: 35 C
video card: 80 C

If everest is correct, that is a pretty high cpu temp... maybe remove the cpu hsf & reapply the thermal paste, or remove the thermal pad & put paste on there instead.

Some other ideas you can try:

-check the PSU specs since you have some high cpu / gpu power requirements (post your PSU brand / specs please)

-check the memory timings and / or vdimm voltage in BIOS to see if they jive with the memory specs (sometimes you have to set it manually, post your mem brand / specs please)

-if all above is good get the ultimate boot cd and run memtest / prime for several hours each and maybe run the manufacturer hdd test if possible (will help isolate hw problems with OS problems). If a single stick is bad, so you can just remove the offender and continue dual-channel-less until it can be replaced.

-run a standalone linux cd like knoppix to test the hw, here is an old post I wrote up to help out getting started with this procedure.

Entreri258

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I fixed the problem, by increasing the voltage to my ram by .1v, and by chaning the timing in the BIOS. Thanks for you're help guys