How do I create a bootable bios flash drive

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Hi, I might be geting my mobo (P5w DH deluxe) tommorow, and just in case if i will have the old bios, i was wondering how do i make a bootable flash drive so i could flash my bios? (if im not mistaken i can use this bios version --->
"P5W DH Deluxe BIOS 0701
Support new CPUs. "
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

there is also this one:

"P5W DH Deluxe BIOS 1305
Update JMicron OptionRom to V1.06.56a "

btw which apps which come with the mobo are worth instaling, and which ones should i not install?

im not going to use the wifi nor the remote, which bios options would i not need, that i could "tunr off"
THX

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
I've used a much smaller HP utility, though I don't have a link, is called "HPUSBFW"

One thing some boards have trouble with is booting a FAT32 formatted drive, while same as FAT(16) will work though of course that means the 2GB limit.

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
I had that problem, turned out Peerguardian was blocking the d/l server (different than HTTP).
(Digital Equipment Corporation 161.114.65.123:21

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
thx will heck itout, would You please explain what did You mean by the 2gb limit?is it a 2gb limit on the hd? i have a fat32 hd(ide) that i expanded to 11.7 gigs

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
lol i deisabled peerguardian but ill try again thx
lol i didnt know that peerguardian is so popular :wink: lol

editd:

i tried it without pg and it still didnt work at all :( oh well gues ill just have to hope the mobo will come with the new bios(core compatible), what are my chances of that happening? just curious

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
thx will heck itout, would You please explain what did You mean by the 2gb limit?is it a 2gb limit on the hd? i have a fat32 hd(ide) that i expanded to 11.7 gigs

I mean that FAT16 only supports 2GB or smaller partitions, so on a 4GB drive for example, you'd have to make the bootable partition 2GB or less to format as FAT16. This has nothing to do with hard drives, it depends on the USB emulation/boot code in the bios.

To clarify, hard drives have this 2GB FAT16 situation also, but not the booting from FAT32 issue as with USB thumbdrives/etc.

You can always try FAT32 first, but I wouldn't go to alot of trouble setting up the USB drive before you'd confirmed whether it'd work at all as a bootable FAT32 device.

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
lol i deisabled peerguardian but ill try again thx
lol i didnt know that peerguardian is so popular :wink: lol

editd:

i tried it without pg and it still didnt work at all :( oh well gues ill just have to hope the mobo will come with the new bios(core compatible), what are my chances of that happening? just curious

Try it again, I just downloaded it a second ago.
In PG, right-click on the DEC entry I mentioned previously and allow for X # of minutes. Next copy the 'site URL, close the window and launch in a new instance of your browser and click button.

OR, Direct Link (but you still might need to disable the PG block of above 'site).

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/supportsoftware/CP006001-006500/cp006049.exe