Canon IP4000 printhead problem!

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
August 21, 2005 3:05:27 AM

Oh well after receiving a faulty IP4000 yesterday
Got the replacement ealrier today,it was working pefrect and then the
heads went.I have since ran the cleaning cycle about 20 times with no
luck!.I started of using OEM inks,but even with the original canon
inks the printhead is still screwed
Any tips??
Steve
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 3:05:53 AM

You probably did not install the print head and the carts correctly.
The printer is just fantastic.

steve wrote:

>Oh well after receiving a faulty IP4000 yesterday
>Got the replacement ealrier today,it was working pefrect and then the
>heads went.I have since ran the cleaning cycle about 20 times with no
>luck!.I started of using OEM inks,but even with the original canon
>inks the printhead is still screwed
>Any tips??
>Steve

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 4:45:01 AM

"steve" <steve@ra2598a.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Oh well after receiving a faulty IP4000 yesterday
> Got the replacement ealrier today,it was working pefrect and then the
> heads went.I have since ran the cleaning cycle about 20 times with no
> luck!.I started of using OEM inks,but even with the original canon
> inks the printhead is still screwed
> Any tips??
> Steve

OEM cartridges are the ones by Canon. The others are third-party or
compatible.

Did the first one have the same problem as the current one?

--
Derek
Related resources

> The problem i have with the R200 is the cdr tray stops feeding through
> after a few months.So as you can see alll my printers has received
> heavy use through the years and i guess thats why the heads never
> clogged?

That could have something to do with it. I have a theory that many
epson clogs are a result of that gasket that protect the head from air
being knocked out of place. I see many c86s and r200s second hand all
of them without the gasket, all them them with something resembling ink
in the tanks.

The CDr tray I believe gets buggered because of the thin clear plastic
bit at the front. Removal of this plastic bit often resolves the
feeding issue. Also phoning epson and asking for a new tray resolves
the issue as well. I have recieved on my self and another UK user
reported getting one after "some" argument with support personal.

> Jet Tec aren't refill carts but they are highly regarded compatible
> carts here in England.They cost about £1.75 = $3 a cart,while other
> compatible carts cost as little as £0.64 = $1

I've heard of Jet Tec... just lack personal experence or second hand
info. I would be skeptical of sub £1.00 ink tanks as ink tends to
represent 1/2 the value of the refill and i'd be afraid of 50p ink.
Complete prejustice, I tend to think even if the liquid is good it
would likely fade too quickly.

You might want to check out
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=2 as the experence
base of those canon users over there is in great excess of mine.

> Yep the printhead is in place and tabs are removed etc.As i says its
> very strange the printer was working perfectly for approx 3 hours

Keep in mind that the symptoms you describe could be attributed to an
inadquate venthole. I experenced this on my nieces bj-2100... and old
unit with thimble sided tanks. My refill experiments failed because I
pluged up the vent hole per the directions after refilling and thus
created a vacuum.

> I spent a lot time printing onto old printable cdrs to get them
> centered correctly using epson's cdr software(heard canon's was poor)

http://users.cjb.net/pixma-faq/7.html

This site was geard tward users of canon pixmas in the states that have
NO cd printing and had to make their own tray by hand... specificly by
me as the measurements I had at the time were dead wrong and eyeballed
it. Anyhow the service-mode keypresses you might find useful as they
give you a set of four cross hairs all 5.5mm (I believe) from the
corner of each disc. With a standard ruler one should be able to get
within +/- .5mm, and from there at most 5 discs to align it.

I must admit... using the real canon tray my ip3000 is spot on.... my
mp760 is off by 1.1mm or so but I suspect that's an issue with a4 vs
letter paper... the printer aligns it self based what paper you use,
and the manual isn't clear as to what size paper is needed.

> If i phone canon out will they swap with a new printer/new inks?

I have no direct experence with Canons failing but an UK user recently
posted problems regarding cross contamination and canon send her a new
head. IIRC you had one printer that reported "total" failure the likes
of which i've never seen before and this was the replacement... i'd be
worried that you got a batch of printers that took a fall.
August 21, 2005 7:21:38 AM

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 00:45:01 +0100, "Derek Baker"
<me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

>"steve" <steve@ra2598a.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Oh well after receiving a faulty IP4000 yesterday
>> Got the replacement ealrier today,it was working pefrect and then the
>> heads went.I have since ran the cleaning cycle about 20 times with no
>> luck!.I started of using OEM inks,but even with the original canon
>> inks the printhead is still screwed
>> Any tips??
>> Steve
>>

>OEM cartridges are the ones by Canon. The others are third-party or
>compatible.
>
>Did the first one have the same problem as the current one?

Yes sorry.
The first printer had an A600 error it basically wouldn't do anything
Now i did put the compaible carts(jet-tec) in the first
printer(yesterday) but as i say that printer was DOA

Anyway i only mention this because this means the compatible carts had
been opened a full day before i put them in the new printer.I thought
they would need a few cleaning cycles to get them up and running.But
to my surprise they printed great straight off and the printer was
printing great for 2/3 hours until the printhead became clogged

I then ran countless cleaning cycles but no joy,so i tried the orginal
canon carts and the result was the same.So i don't know what happened

I have basically used Epson printers for the past 8 years and never
had one clog on me!
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 7:21:39 AM

> Anyway i only mention this because this means the compatible carts had
> been opened a full day before i put them in the new printer.I thought
> they would need a few cleaning cycles to get them up and running.But
> to my surprise they printed great straight off and the printer was
> printing great for 2/3 hours until the printhead became clogged
>
> I then ran countless cleaning cycles but no joy,so i tried the orginal
> canon carts and the result was the same.So i don't know what happened
>
> I have basically used Epson printers for the past 8 years and never
> had one clog on me!

Did you do anything to seal the tanks while they were sitting out? If not,
the ink was drying out in them and may have clogged your heads.
August 21, 2005 7:52:28 AM

steve <steve@ra2598a.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 00:45:01 +0100, "Derek Baker"
><me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>"steve" <steve@ra2598a.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Oh well after receiving a faulty IP4000 yesterday
>>> Got the replacement ealrier today,it was working pefrect and then the
>>> heads went.I have since ran the cleaning cycle about 20 times with no
>>> luck!.I started of using OEM inks,but even with the original canon
>>> inks the printhead is still screwed
>>> Any tips??
>>> Steve
>>>

>>OEM cartridges are the ones by Canon. The others are third-party or
>>compatible.
>>
>>Did the first one have the same problem as the current one?
>
>Yes sorry.
>The first printer had an A600 error it basically wouldn't do anything
>Now i did put the compaible carts(jet-tec) in the first
>printer(yesterday) but as i say that printer was DOA
>
>Anyway i only mention this because this means the compatible carts had
>been opened a full day before i put them in the new printer.I thought
>they would need a few cleaning cycles to get them up and running.But
>to my surprise they printed great straight off and the printer was
>printing great for 2/3 hours until the printhead became clogged
>
>I then ran countless cleaning cycles but no joy,so i tried the orginal
>canon carts and the result was the same.So i don't know what happened
>
>I have basically used Epson printers for the past 8 years and never
>had one clog on me!

Steve
I think you have been unlucky, this is a fine printer and we see very few
warranty claims.
I suggest you put the Canon cartridges back in the printer and get the supplier
to replace it....again!!!
BTW the compatible cartridges almost certainly did not cause the problem.
Tony
August 21, 2005 1:52:16 PM

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 22:32:11 -0600, "Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote:

>"steve" <steve@ra2598a.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Anyway i only mention this because this means the compatible carts had
>> been opened a full day before i put them in the new printer.I thought
>> they would need a few cleaning cycles to get them up and running.But
>> to my surprise they printed great straight off and the printer was
>> printing great for 2/3 hours until the printhead became clogged
>>
>> I then ran countless cleaning cycles but no joy,so i tried the orginal
>> canon carts and the result was the same.So i don't know what happened
>>
>> I have basically used Epson printers for the past 8 years and never
>> had one clog on me!
>
>Did you do anything to seal the tanks while they were sitting out? If not,
>the ink was drying out in them and may have clogged your heads.

Do i never,but as i say when i put them in the new printer they worked
straight away and printed great for 3 hours

August 21, 2005 3:24:15 PM

Tony wrote:
> steve <steve@ra2598a.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 00:45:01 +0100, "Derek Baker"
>><me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>>>"steve" <steve@ra2598a.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

>>>OEM cartridges are the ones by Canon. The others are third-party or
>>>compatible.
>>>
>>>Did the first one have the same problem as the current one?
>>
>>Yes sorry.
>>The first printer had an A600 error it basically wouldn't do anything
>>Now i did put the compaible carts(jet-tec) in the first
>>printer(yesterday) but as i say that printer was DOA
>>
>>Anyway i only mention this because this means the compatible carts had
>>been opened a full day before i put them in the new printer.I thought
>>they would need a few cleaning cycles to get them up and running.But
>>to my surprise they printed great straight off and the printer was
>>printing great for 2/3 hours until the printhead became clogged
>>
>>I then ran countless cleaning cycles but no joy,so i tried the orginal
>>canon carts and the result was the same.So i don't know what happened
>>
>>I have basically used Epson printers for the past 8 years and never
>>had one clog on me!
>

> Steve
> I think you have been unlucky, this is a fine printer and we see very few
> warranty claims.
> I suggest you put the Canon cartridges back in the printer and get the supplier
> to replace it....again!!!
> BTW the compatible cartridges almost certainly did not cause the problem.
> Tony

Expert advice from someone knowledgeable inside the industry who knows
what they're talking about.
Frank
August 21, 2005 3:33:34 PM

I have the ip5000 about 3 months or just over now, not one single clog
or mis-print, fully 100% reliable to date, no heads cleans nothing.

Unlike the Epson I had which clogged on the 2nd day and the
replacement clogged on the 4th day and all with genuine Epson inks,
both ended up being 'trashed', after consistantly clogging and
wasting inks.

With the Epsons I had to check the prints after printing, not knowing
if they would come out alright, not so with the Canon, a perfect
print every time.

If this printer decided to give up, I would have no hesitation in
buying another.

Davy
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 6:54:40 PM

"Davy" <davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>I have the ip5000 about 3 months or just over now, not one single clog
> or mis-print, fully 100% reliable to date, no heads cleans nothing.
>
> Unlike the Epson I had which clogged on the 2nd day and the
> replacement clogged on the 4th day and all with genuine Epson inks,
> both ended up being 'trashed', after consistantly clogging and
> wasting inks.
>
> With the Epsons I had to check the prints after printing, not knowing
> if they would come out alright, not so with the Canon, a perfect
> print every time.
>
> If this printer decided to give up, I would have no hesitation in
> buying another.

Which model was this?
August 21, 2005 9:34:54 PM

hi,
I had a C62 ...lol, it went pear shaped after about 8 months ahd the
Epson service agent 'tossed' it it the waste bin 'litterally', the
print heads were 'knacked', so I got a exchange unit and that went
the same and Epson did not want to know. anyway they are both were
they best belong in a big hole in the ground.

They were forever clogging all with Epson ink, like a dummy I stuck
with Epson ink becasues of the warrenty period, after a while when
the 2nd one went the same I said 'sod this for a game of soldeirs'
and used 3rd party inks.

In the end I got a Canon ip5000 had it 3 months never one print head
clean or test print, 100% reliable to date.

See following posts-:

http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/ftopic91527.html

http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/ftopic97709.html

http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/ftopic97319.html

How I wished I had bought a Canon in the first instant

Davy
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 10:17:32 PM

TONY DA TIGER IS IN DA BUSINESS. BEWARE OF HIS ADVICE ON INK

Tony wrote:

>steve <steve@ra2598a.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 00:45:01 +0100, "Derek Baker"
>><me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>>>"steve" <steve@ra2598a.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

>>>OEM cartridges are the ones by Canon. The others are third-party or
>>>compatible.
>>>
>>>Did the first one have the same problem as the current one?
>>>

>>Yes sorry.
>>The first printer had an A600 error it basically wouldn't do anything
>>Now i did put the compaible carts(jet-tec) in the first
>>printer(yesterday) but as i say that printer was DOA
>>
>>Anyway i only mention this because this means the compatible carts had
>>been opened a full day before i put them in the new printer.I thought
>>they would need a few cleaning cycles to get them up and running.But
>>to my surprise they printed great straight off and the printer was
>>printing great for 2/3 hours until the printhead became clogged
>>
>>I then ran countless cleaning cycles but no joy,so i tried the orginal
>>canon carts and the result was the same.So i don't know what happened
>>
>>I have basically used Epson printers for the past 8 years and never
>>had one clog on me!
>>

>Steve
>I think you have been unlucky, this is a fine printer and we see very few
>warranty claims.
>I suggest you put the Canon cartridges back in the printer and get the supplier
>to replace it....again!!!
>BTW the compatible cartridges almost certainly did not cause the problem.
>Tony

Anonymous
May 26, 2009 8:13:21 PM

I have two IP4000's and they are the best. Here's the secret to keeping the printhead on an ip4000 working at its best and producing great photos. I would think this would work for any printer you can get the print head out of. When the cleaning cycle won't restore the print quality, remove all the ink cartridges and then remove the print head. First put the print head under hot running water from the tap to remove the excess ink. Then fill the cavities where the ink cartridges sit with Windex with ammonia. It must have the ammonia to be effective. Let the print head soak overnight in the Windex. Next morning, wash out the windex under running water, re-install the print head and the cartridges. It should work like new after this untill it clogs again. Re-peat when a number of cleaning cycles won't restore the print quality.
September 5, 2009 3:46:11 PM

Works just as well if you submerge all the outlets in a small container containing 1" of Windex for an hour, rinse well and re-install. Nice thing about Canon is the printhead can be removed.
!