Outlook Contact Folders Syncing

January 13, 2005 4:41:03 PM

Hi all,

I've recently switched over from Palm to PocketPC...and was hoping for a
better sync between Outlook and my PDA.

I've got ActiveSync 3.8 and synced the Outlook Contacts on my PC to my iPAQ
for the first time.... however, all my Contact sub-folders are missing and I
can't seem to find the option settings to make sure they are included.

Does anyone know how to include the Outlook contact sub-folders?

Many thanks in advance,

Mehul
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 4:43:45 PM

Mehul

Natively this isn't supported.
However there is a Microsoft utility for Outlook 2000 and XP that allows you
to do this in a rather convoluted way.

The download does not work with Outlook 2003.

Chris Tilley
Editor-in-Chief
HPC:Factor
http://www.hpcfactor.com/
HPC:Factor HPC Forums
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/

"mehul" <mehul@khimasia.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I've recently switched over from Palm to PocketPC...and was hoping for a
> better sync between Outlook and my PDA.
>
> I've got ActiveSync 3.8 and synced the Outlook Contacts on my PC to my
> iPAQ for the first time.... however, all my Contact sub-folders are
> missing and I can't seem to find the option settings to make sure they are
> included.
>
> Does anyone know how to include the Outlook contact sub-folders?
>
> Many thanks in advance,

January 13, 2005 5:06:23 PM

Thanks Chris.

I will try the PCS tool. I've been looking through as many posts as
possible and some people claim that Intellisync is more powerful than
ActiveSync -- do you know if IntelliSync can sync Outlook Contact Subfolders
(in a less convoluted way!)

M.

"Chris Tilley - HPC:Factor" <chrisNOSPAMPLEASE@hpcfactor.com> wrote in
message news:e5HaQYX%23EHA.3892@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Mehul
>
> Natively this isn't supported.
> However there is a Microsoft utility for Outlook 2000 and XP that allows
> you
> to do this in a rather convoluted way.

> The download does not work with Outlook 2003.
>
> Chris Tilley
> Editor-in-Chief
> HPC:Factor
> http://www.hpcfactor.com/
> HPC:Factor HPC Forums
> http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/
>
> "mehul" <mehul@khimasia.net> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've recently switched over from Palm to PocketPC...and was hoping for a
>> better sync between Outlook and my PDA.
>>
>> I've got ActiveSync 3.8 and synced the Outlook Contacts on my PC to my
>> iPAQ for the first time.... however, all my Contact sub-folders are
>> missing and I can't seem to find the option settings to make sure they
>> are
>> included.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to include the Outlook contact sub-folders?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance,

January 13, 2005 5:17:15 PM

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 13:41:03 -0000, mehul <mehul@khimasia.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've recently switched over from Palm to PocketPC...and was hoping for a
> better sync between Outlook and my PDA.
>
> I've got ActiveSync 3.8 and synced the Outlook Contacts on my PC to my
> iPAQ
> for the first time.... however, all my Contact sub-folders are missing
> and I
> can't seem to find the option settings to make sure they are included.
>
> Does anyone know how to include the Outlook contact sub-folders?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Mehul

When I do this, I use categories to separate the contacts. They are not
folders, per-se, but they can be searched and organized with categories.

Brad

--
editor, www.pocketpcaddict.com
developer Achieve-IT! PPC Goal Setter:

I have never personally used IntelliSync, but the problem isn't with the
sync engine., It is with Pocket Outlook.

--

news:o 2DGKfX%23EHA.600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Thanks Chris.
>
> I will try the PCS tool. I've been looking through as many posts as
> possible and some people claim that Intellisync is more powerful than
> ActiveSync -- do you know if IntelliSync can sync Outlook Contact
> Subfolders (in a less convoluted way!)
>
> M.
>
> "Chris Tilley - HPC:Factor" <chrisNOSPAMPLEASE@hpcfactor.com> wrote in
> message news:e5HaQYX%23EHA.3892@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Mehul
>>
>> Natively this isn't supported.
>> However there is a Microsoft utility for Outlook 2000 and XP that allows
>> you
>> to do this in a rather convoluted way.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
>>
>> The download does not work with Outlook 2003.
>>
>> Chris Tilley
>> Editor-in-Chief
>> HPC:Factor
>> http://www.hpcfactor.com/
>> HPC:Factor HPC Forums
>> http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/
>>
>> "mehul" <mehul@khimasia.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've recently switched over from Palm to PocketPC...and was hoping for a
>>> better sync between Outlook and my PDA.
>>>
>>> I've got ActiveSync 3.8 and synced the Outlook Contacts on my PC to my
>>> iPAQ for the first time.... however, all my Contact sub-folders are
>>> missing and I can't seem to find the option settings to make sure they
>>> are
>>> included.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how to include the Outlook contact sub-folders?
>>>
>>> Many thanks in advance,

January 22, 2005 6:18:10 PM

Brad,

That makes sense but I also use the PDA for work and we have separate
contact folders for different areas (eg Marketing, Corporate Sales etc)
which I need to sync with.

M.

"Brad Isaac" <admin@stopspam.pocketpcaddict.com> wrote in message
news:o pskj2i1gc25tyy7@ahec_admin.mosescone.com...
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 13:41:03 -0000, mehul <mehul@khimasia.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've recently switched over from Palm to PocketPC...and was hoping for a
>> better sync between Outlook and my PDA.
>>
>> I've got ActiveSync 3.8 and synced the Outlook Contacts on my PC to my
>> iPAQ
>> for the first time.... however, all my Contact sub-folders are missing
>> and I
>> can't seem to find the option settings to make sure they are included.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to include the Outlook contact sub-folders?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance,
>>
>> Mehul
>>

> When I do this, I use categories to separate the contacts. They are not
> folders, per-se, but they can be searched and organized with categories.
>
> Brad
>
> --
> editor, www.pocketpcaddict.com
> developer Achieve-IT! PPC Goal Setter:
> http://www.pocketpcaddict.com/Achieve.htm
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 7:55:03 PM

I just got a Sprint PPC-6601 and had to make a similar decision. Consider
moving or copying the other folders contacts to the "Contacts" folder. Set
catagory(ies) for the contacts. There is a catagory drop down list on the
pda allowing you to choose the catagory of contacts to view. This is what I
did and I like it better.

Thanks,
Paul N Temple
Temple Systems, Inc.

> Brad,
>
> That makes sense but I also use the PDA for work and we have separate
> contact folders for different areas (eg Marketing, Corporate Sales etc)
> which I need to sync with.
>
> M.
>
> "Brad Isaac" <admin@stopspam.pocketpcaddict.com> wrote in message
> news:o pskj2i1gc25tyy7@ahec_admin.mosescone.com...
>> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 13:41:03 -0000, mehul <mehul@khimasia.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've recently switched over from Palm to PocketPC...and was hoping for a
>>> better sync between Outlook and my PDA.
>>>
>>> I've got ActiveSync 3.8 and synced the Outlook Contacts on my PC to my
>>> iPAQ
>>> for the first time.... however, all my Contact sub-folders are missing
>>> and I
>>> can't seem to find the option settings to make sure they are included.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how to include the Outlook contact sub-folders?
>>>
>>> Many thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> Mehul
>>>

>> When I do this, I use categories to separate the contacts. They are not
>> folders, per-se, but they can be searched and organized with categories.
>>
>> Brad
>>
>> --
>> editor, www.pocketpcaddict.com
>> developer Achieve-IT! PPC Goal Setter:
>> http://www.pocketpcaddict.com/Achieve.htm

January 26, 2005 10:16:16 PM

But what do you do if one of your colleagues has updated one of the contacts
in the Public Folders? Then presumably since you've copied/moved the
Public/shared Contacts it wouldn't sync, or you would need to manually
update the contacts in your "local" Contacts?

Some other guys suggested looking at PocketInforfant and Intellisync so I'll
do that and let you know if you are interested.

M.

news:o sP4zWNAFHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

!