Ethernet coming to home as Broadband with staic IP addr, c..

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

We signedup for Broadband Internet connection from local ISP, ISP guy
came home and laid Ethernet connection directly to home, he assigned
Static IP addr on my PC, these are the things he entered:

Static IP addr: 192.168.25.231, Netmask: 255.255.255.0, default
gateway: 192.168.25.1. also entered DNS addr.

Looklike they have a switch somewhere outside in the apartments, from
there he is running a ethernet cables directly to homes.

If I want to connect to one or two more PC's to the internet, can I use
Broadband Router?. Will it work?. Because I have to connect ethernet
which I received home to the WAN port of my Router, then I have to
connect all of my local computers to switch ports on the Router, but
the WAN port IP addr is static IP, also private IP addr, also the
switch ports assigns local IP, how it will work?. I called the ISP guy,
he tells he doesn't know what is Router, he was suggesting me to take
one more ethernet connection from him and I have to pay for 2
connection, similarly if I want to connect 4 computers, then I have to
4 rhernet connection from him, but this is rediculous right, how can I
connect?.

Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about ethernet coming home broadband staic addr
  1. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    GS wrote:

    (snip)

    > If I want to connect to one or two more PC's to the internet, can I use
    > Broadband Router?. Will it work?. Because I have to connect ethernet
    > which I received home to the WAN port of my Router, then I have to
    > connect all of my local computers to switch ports on the Router, but
    > the WAN port IP addr is static IP, also private IP addr, also the
    > switch ports assigns local IP, how it will work?. I called the ISP guy,
    > he tells he doesn't know what is Router, he was suggesting me to take
    > one more ethernet connection from him and I have to pay for 2
    > connection, similarly if I want to connect 4 computers, then I have to
    > 4 rhernet connection from him, but this is rediculous right, how can I
    > connect?.

    It is possible that some NAT routers will refuse a private address on
    the WAN port, but I would consider them broken.

    -- glen
  2. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    GS wrote:

    > Static IP addr: 192.168.25.231, Netmask: 255.255.255.0, default
    > gateway: 192.168.25.1. also entered DNS addr.

    Since those are RFC1918 local addresses, some applications won't work. You
    can also forget about running a VPN or ssh to your home computer.

    > If I want to connect to one or two more PC's to the internet, can I use
    > Broadband Router?. Will it work?. Because I have to connect ethernet
    > which I received home to the WAN port of my Router, then I have to
    > connect all of my local computers to switch ports on the Router, but
    > the WAN port IP addr is static IP, also private IP addr, also the
    > switch ports assigns local IP, how it will work?

    It will work fine. Just configure it to use the supplied static IP on the
    WAN side. You can use your choice of DHCP or static addresses on the local
    side. However, you must use a different address range. This means you
    cannot use 192.168.25.x on your local network. However I doubt you'll find
    a firewall/router that defaults to that range.

    I called the ISP guy,
    he tells he doesn't know what is Router, he was suggesting me to take
    one more ethernet connection from him and I have to pay for 2
    connection, similarly if I want to connect 4 computers, then I have to
    4 rhernet connection from him, but this is rediculous right, how can I
    connect?.


    Is that a supprise??? He wants to sell you more connections, not help you
    avoid paying him more.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:

    > It is possible that some NAT routers will refuse a private address on
    > the WAN port, but I would consider them broken.

    My SMC 7004VWBR works fine with a "WAN" address of 192.168.3.2.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    In article <5aKdnQXnr9tdbhPfRVn-gA@comcast.com>,
    glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
    >GS wrote:
    >
    >(snip)
    >
    >> If I want to connect to one or two more PC's to the internet, can I use
    >> Broadband Router?. Will it work?. Because I have to connect ethernet
    >> which I received home to the WAN port of my Router, then I have to
    >> connect all of my local computers to switch ports on the Router, but
    >> the WAN port IP addr is static IP, also private IP addr, also the
    >> switch ports assigns local IP, how it will work?. I called the ISP guy,
    >> he tells he doesn't know what is Router, he was suggesting me to take
    >> one more ethernet connection from him and I have to pay for 2
    >> connection, similarly if I want to connect 4 computers, then I have to
    >> 4 rhernet connection from him, but this is rediculous right, how can I
    >> connect?.
    >
    >It is possible that some NAT routers will refuse a private address on
    >the WAN port, but I would consider them broken.
    >
    >-- glen
    >


    Really broken. Read the manual for the model you have/are considering
    and see in the section on DHCP if there is also a provision for
    accepting a static address.

    The other issue is that the ISP may recognize the MAC address on your
    PC and refuse to talk to another piece of gear without contacting
    customer service. Every broadband router I've worked with has
    had provision for MAC spoofing. Look in the manual for details.

    You can find the MAC address on your XP PC by running this command:

    ipconfig /all

    You set the MAC address into your router before you connect.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    Al Dykes wrote:

    > You can find the MAC address on your XP PC by running this command:
    >
    > ipconfig /all

    What about on a MAC? ;-)
  6. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    James Knott <james.knott@rogers.com> wrote:
    > What about on a MAC? ;-)

    Mac OS/X uses FreeBSD utils, so you need to open a
    shell and type `ifconfig -a`

    -- Robert
  7. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    Robert Redelmeier wrote:

    > James Knott <james.knott@rogers.com> wrote:
    >> What about on a MAC? ;-)
    >
    > Mac OS/X uses FreeBSD utils, so you need to open a
    > shell and type `ifconfig -a`
    >
    > -- Robert

    I guess you missed the ";-)" and the intended bit of humour about a "Mac"
    address.
Ask a new question

Read More

Broadband Connection Ethernet Card Internet Service Providers Networking