Mobo to Case (Power)

eofu

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Well I decided, I will be building my next pc myself. But I have a question about cases and motherboards. Refering to the hookup process of motherboard to the power button on the case. Is there like a standard to which theses things plug up too or do I have to cut and twist some wires. I was told to try to find cases that come with my motherboard but they were all ugly and stuff. So I want to buy one and then put the motherboard of my choice in it. ATX form case and motherboard is what I will be using. Thanks

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Well I decided, I will be building my next pc myself. But I have a question about cases and motherboards. Refering to the hookup process of motherboard to the power button on the case. Is there like a standard to which theses things plug up too or do I have to cut and twist some wires. I was told to try to find cases that come with my motherboard but they were all ugly and stuff. So I want to buy one and then put the motherboard of my choice in it. ATX form case and motherboard is what I will be using. Thanks

Every case I've bought had standardized, labeled wires running from the power and restart buttons that go to the mobo. Look at the mobo manual for orientation. If you look close, you can typically find the labeled connections on the mobo.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Every case I've bought had standardized, labeled wires running from the power and restart buttons that go to the mobo. Look at the mobo manual for orientation. If you look close, you can typically find the labeled connections on the mobo.

Mostly right... Most cases, indeed do come with pre-wired start and reset buttons. I have recently seen some of the 'entertainment center' style cases that had no wires on the pwr sw. Caveat emptor, as they say. Kick the tires...

As to the 'alignment', as long as you get the two wires on the two MB pins allocated for them, well, that's all the alignment one needs to worry about. They are just switches, simple make / break devices. There is no wrong way for pwr to go through them. Just so long as it does....

Some MB's don't even need a case button. My dfi has a button directly on the MB... But I'd not like to have that as the only option!

eofu

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Thanks I was kinda worried about that. I didn't want to waste alot of cash on it. The case I want is like 400