Monitor Standing By?

Seigal12

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Hi guys,

I wonder if someone can help me. I have recently built my new computer and everything seems to work fine except for one irritating thing.

When I turn the computer on, sometime the monitor, wireless mouse and keyboard don't actually become active.

My computer seems to be running perfectly fine, but the monitor it not recieving a video signal (DVI cable) and stays on stand-by, while the keyboard does not light up. Thing is, when I remove the mains power, plug the computer back in a try again, it all works again... I cannot do that everytime I want to use my computer!

Any ideas on how to fix this, please? :cry:

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Check your cables? Check the connection between the graphics card and the motherboard (unplug it and plug it back in again). Move the wireless receiver to a different USB port - preferably one on a different root hub.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Another idea would be to check in your BIOS to make sure USB support is enabled... not sure if it'll fix it but worth a check.

Also post your specs too.

Seigal12

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I have checked and moved my cables around but nothing seems to make any difference.

I do know that the BIOS has the USB support enabled.

My specs are:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Asus P5W DH Deluxe (latest BIOS)
GeForce 7950GX2
Seasonic S12 600w PSU
Seagate Barracuda 320GB HDD
Creative Xtreme Music
Antec P180
Samsung 940BF 19" Monitor
Microsoft Wireless Desktop 6000

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Thing is, when I remove the mains power, plug the computer back in a try again, it all works again... I cannot do that everytime I want to use my computer!

What do you mean by "when I remove the mains power"?
Are you physically unplugging the entire computer from the wall or just resetting?

Kind of sounds like something is happening to your setup when you start up that makes everything not work. But when you unplug it, it resets and works again.

What kind of RAM do you have?

Seigal12

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Yes, I physically remove the computer from the mains power supply and then plug it back in before it works.

Ah, I missed the RAM on my spec, it is:
GeIL 2x1GB 6400

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Nice rig!

First off, if I were in your position, I'd run memtest on the memory.
If everything was ok, I'd try with a wired keyboard and mouse to see if that helped.

If that was ok, I'd try to reset the BIOS.

errrr if i think of anything else i'll post it... but try to isolate it down to just the keyboard, or just the mouse or just the monitor.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
How do you know it IS starting? Try with standard PS/2 keyboard. When you power up, lights on keyboard should all flash within 2 sec or it is not actually starting, suspect PSU , motherboard or CPU. Does it give single beep?

Mike.

Seigal12

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Well the thing is, I cannot be sure that it starts... but then again this is a random problem.. so it starts most the time but normally from a cold boot it has the problem.

& I don't have an internal speaker, so I cannot hear the motherboard beep.

I have had someone suggest clearing the CMOS, but I don't see why that's help...

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Well the thing is, I cannot be sure that it starts... but then again this is a random problem.. so it starts most the time but normally from a cold boot it has the problem.

& I don't have an internal speaker, so I cannot hear the motherboard beep.

I have had someone suggest clearing the CMOS, but I don't see why that's help...
Wait... so it has the problem when it cold boots? Cold boot = turn power off for 30 sec, then power on. Or do you mean when you start it up in the morning after its been off for a while?

This kind of strange problem could be anything. Even your power switch might be stuck sometimes or something. Still I stand by my suggestions - first memtest, then try to use a wired keyboard/mouse and see if the system is booting. Perhaps even try a different monitor.

I assume when the monitor/keyboard/mouse is dead, the fans are spinning and HDD's are spinning, and that's how you think its alive?

If you're overclocking, set it to stock and see if the problem keeps happening.

Seigal12

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Sorry yeah, cold boot as in when I turn it on again in the morning, or when it has been off for awhile.

Yeah, when it started up the computer does its usual, fans / HDD spin, which is why I think it's alive. I did originally think it might be a POST'ing issue, but why only some of the time?

I am not overclocking it, so that's not a problem.

I will run memtest and try the wired mouse/keyboard and let you know how that goes.

Seigal12

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Well, I ran Memtest over the weekend and there were no errors, which is a very good thing :)

Going to try running the computer with a wired keyboard & mouse for a week - see how that goes...

Any more suggestions guys?

Thanks.

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
You know, this whole "not having an internal speaker connected" could be the reason you can't figure out what's going on... Is there one with the case? (or a piezo one on the motherboard) - if there is, try connecting it, and then the next time it fails to come up properly you can see if it produces any combination of beeps - then check your mobo manual to see what the beeps mean!

If there's not, I think you're down to the old, old standby of trying replacement bits until the problem doesn't reoccur. Try sticking a wired keyboard and mouse in, see if that solves the problem (why, I don't know, but it might!), try an alternative graphics card (if you've got one)...

Seigal12

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
After a few days of experimenting (and installing a new internal speaker) I have been waiting for the video problem to happen again (as I said, its random).

Now with the addition of the speaker fan I know that, when the system is booting normally you'll hear the usual single beep. However when the syetem does not send the video signal the system cannot be booting, as there is no beep, infact there is nothing expect a slight buzzing. I am not sure what this buzzing is, but it sounds like the Hard Drive is firing up and trying to load something (not sure if it is the HDD making the noise though).

So has anyone got any ideas based on this? Maybe a IDE/SATA lockup which this board apparently has?

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Try to identify the source of the buzzing.
It could be a ton of things - fans not spinning correctly, PSU fan, HDD, etc.

One way you can try to isolate the sound is to get a paper towel cardboard roll (you know what's left after you use all the paper towels) and put it next to your ear and move around the case. Or roll up some paper, etc.