Memory wont register correctly

elicash73

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
Hello. I've recently just built a new system on the Gigabyte 945p-s3 motherboard. Im using Corsair DDR2 cm2 2x512mb matched pair. Upon first installing these registered as the full 1gb but were not running dual channel so I moved one stick into the second bank. Dual channel now works except I'm reading at 768mb.

I've since tried re-seating them, and running them seprately (they both still register as 512mb seperately).

Is this just me not installing the chips correctly now that the motherboard is in the case or somethingelse?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this has been a build filled with problems and solving this mystery might help me feel better about it all.

Cheers

Serpent666

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Hi

Might want to check the slots that the RAM is in. They have to go into certain slots for the duel channel part to work. Recommend looking at the manual for your motherboard to determine which goes where.

Hope that helps

elicash73

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
Hey thanks for the reply

I checked the motherboard manual and there are only two possible arrangements out of three. Two are interleaved or single and the third means that the system wont boot.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Hello. I've recently just built a new system on the Gigabyte 945p-s3 motherboard. Im using Corsair DDR2 cm2 2x512mb matched pair. Upon first installing these registered as the full 1gb but were not running dual channel so I moved one stick into the second bank. Dual channel now works except I'm reading at 768mb.

I've since tried re-seating them, and running them seprately (they both still register as 512mb seperately).

Is this just me not installing the chips correctly now that the motherboard is in the case or somethingelse?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this has been a build filled with problems and solving this mystery might help me feel better about it all.

Cheers

Memtest your RAM .. memtest86.com

elicash73

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
I finally solved this problem and a whole host of other things by changing which sata port my main drive goes into......weird.