Sign in with
Your question

Where to buy a BIOS ?

Last response: in Components
September 8, 2006 8:37:22 AM

Hy

I had a topic about my long booting time, and I tryed out some ideas. The last thing I tryed was updaiting the BIOS, wich went werry wrong. The computer hasen't worked ewer since ( it goes on, fans work, leds burn, ewerything works apearently, but the screen remains blank, like it wouldn't get sign from the AGP, wich is not broken since I tried it in an other computer ).

I think bios is killed and the recovery tool :
"CrashFree BIOS 2
The CrashFree BIOS 2 feature now includes the BIOS auto-recovery function in a support CD. Users can reboot their system through the support CD when a bootable disk is not available, and go through the simple BIOS auto-recovery process. ASUS motherboards now enable users to enjoy this protection feature without the need to pay for an optional ROM.
"
I'm affraid is not working.

So could anybody tell me where I can get an other BIOS ( for ASUS A8V, AMI bios ) ?

And if you ask why I'm not gouing to the service where I bought my comp. ?
It is because it is 2000 Km away :!:

SO pleas let me know.

More about : buy bios

September 8, 2006 9:05:51 AM

theres another way to reset your bios. default bios that come with the motherboard are stored on a rom chip(i think) and cannot be overwritten for safety reasons( like if u screw up ur comp) check you mboard manual, it should tell you how to do it. you can either move jumpers on the mboard or remove the battery on the board and then replace it, not to sure about either of these as i have never done it before but there should be help if you do a simple google search.
September 8, 2006 10:11:19 AM

If the BIOS update has gone wrong and it will not recover then you may have to return the motherboard to ASUS. You may be able to get another BIOS but you need to check if the BIOS chip is in a socket. If it is there are some places on the net that may help you, but the cost is likely to be as much or more than another motherboard.

The BIOS is in FLASH, and if the update process has failed then you may have overwritten the original BIOS. I doubt very very much if the original BIOS was in ROM or EPROM.

You could try the ASUS support, they may be able to offer some suggestions. The ASUS website used to have variuos forums, I'm not sure if that is still the case, but you could try. I've tried the ASUS website myself before and found it slow and difficult to use, but that may be your best bet.

Rob. Murphy
Related resources
September 8, 2006 11:49:42 AM

My mainboards Users Guide is some what poor in those things, it dosen't include anything about jumpers and how ro reset the bios, but from previous experiances I knew, and I tryed the options : Removing the batery and setting the jumper for the CMOS, but that dosen't help since in my case the ROM itselve is corupted.
September 8, 2006 11:53:18 AM

If you buy a new Bios chip and remove the old one and insert the new one, you should be fine. Happened to me too.
Cost? about $20.00+shipping
September 11, 2006 4:29:04 AM

Try removing the BIOS battery then putting it back in; it always works for me when my computer throws a hissy fit.

Do you know if your mobo has a dual-BIOS? If it does you should be able to boot from the other BIOS until you fix the other one.
!