Newsgroups: comp.dcom.xdsl
From: "JJonson" <jj@yahoo.com>
Subject: Prosumer router?
Sender: nntp@news.boeing.com (Boeing NNTP News Access)
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 15:25:18 GMT

I have tried several broadband routers, Linksys, D-Link, Belkin to use their
features to control WWW access in my home LAN. None of these allow you to
set restriction features within a time window. They allow you to block out
access at certain time windows by day of week, but they dont for example
have the flexibility to allow FTP access while blocking eveything else in a
time window.

Is there a prosumer level of router that has the added flexibility to set
access restrictions that are invoked within a certain time window? This for
a small home network behind a cable modem.

thanks

#! rnews 1128
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking
From: "JJonson" <jj@yahoo.com>

From: Eric D. Berge <eric_berge @ hotmail.com.invalid>
Subject: Re: Chronicles of Narnia - really for children?
Sender: nntp@news.boeing.com (Boeing NNTP News Access)
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 15:28:58 GMT

On Mon, 23 May 2005 06:25:37 +0000 (UTC), Joe Bernstein
<joe@sfbooks.com> wrote:

>[1] No, this isn't an explanation of that, this is an ObSF. Note
>that in the book of Genesis, Abraham repeatedly argues with God.
>I don't know whether Jewish law enjoins this on his descendants,
>but Jewish folklore does with unremitting zeal. There is, for
>example, the story of the rabbi who stormed Heaven. There is the
>Golem of Prague. There are any number of stories about Abraham
>himself showing him doing this or that, explicitly portrayed as
>basically trying to sneak around what God had told him.

There's also the Berdichever Kaddish, AKA Rabbi Levi Yitzhak's lawsuit
against God: http://www.berdichev.org/the_kadish_of_levi_yitzhak.htm

> The book you need for the first two paragraphs of this footnote
>is <A Treasury of Jewish Folklore> by Nathan Ausubel.

Hey, great book! Also his Treasury of Jewish Humor.

JJonson wrote:

> I have tried several broadband routers, Linksys, D-Link, Belkin to use
> their
> features to control WWW access in my home LAN. None of these allow you
> set restriction features within a time window. They allow you to block
> out access at certain time windows by day of week, but they dont for
> example have the flexibility to allow FTP access while blocking eveything
> else in a time window.
>
> Is there a prosumer level of router that has the added flexibility to set
> access restrictions that are invoked within a certain time window? This
> for a small home network behind a cable modem.

You could roll your own, using Linux. That would give you as much
flexibility as you want. Also, some of the Linksys models run Linux and
there are many patches available, to add funtion to the box.

In article <sYGdnVZy48HIYAzfRVn-iQ@rogers.com>,
James Knott <james.knott@rogers.com> wrote:
>JJonson wrote:
>
>> I have tried several broadband routers, Linksys, D-Link, Belkin to use
>> their
>> features to control WWW access in my home LAN. None of these allow you
>> set restriction features within a time window. They allow you to block
>> out access at certain time windows by day of week, but they dont for
>> example have the flexibility to allow FTP access while blocking eveything
>> else in a time window.
>>
>> Is there a prosumer level of router that has the added flexibility to set
>> access restrictions that are invoked within a certain time window? This
>> for a small home network behind a cable modem.
>
>You could roll your own, using Linux. That would give you as much
>flexibility as you want. Also, some of the Linksys models run Linux and
>there are many patches available, to add funtion to the box.

Linksys has some "better" products that probably come out of the Cicso
takeover that have lots more features. IMO time restrictions are a
comsumer feaure and these are corporate products so you may be out of
luck. SMC makes some nice network products too.

For Linksys Take a look at this: (Scroll down)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=browse&Manufactory=1413&subCategory=28

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

> JJonson wrote:
> > I have tried several broadband routers, Linksys, D-Link, Belkin to
> > use their
> > features to control WWW access in my home LAN. None of these
> > allow you to
> > set restriction features within a time window. They allow you to
> > block out access at certain time windows by day of week, but they
> > dont for example have the flexibility to allow FTP access while
> > blocking eveything else in a time window.
> >
> > Is there a prosumer level of router that has the added flexibility
> > to set access restrictions that are invoked within a certain time
> > window? This for a small home network behind a cable modem.

If you want that type of flexibility, you may want to invest in a small
(like 800 series) Cisco routers.

--

hsb

In article <IGy82u.5yq@news.boeing.com>, jj@yahoo.com says...

> I have tried several broadband routers, Linksys, D-Link, Belkin to use their
> features to control WWW access in my home LAN. None of these allow you to
> set restriction features within a time window. They allow you to block out
> access at certain time windows by day of week, but they dont for example
> have the flexibility to allow FTP access while blocking eveything else in a
> time window.
>
> Is there a prosumer level of router that has the added flexibility to set
> access restrictions that are invoked within a certain time window? This for
> a small home network behind a cable modem.

Watchguard products offer this capability, and much more, but
their stuff is not cheap. Expect to spend between $400-$1000+.

http://www.watchguard.com

I seem to recall that Zyxel also offers this capability in their
ZyWall product line, but I'm not certain. Check http://www.zyxel.com.

Again, expect to spend more than you would for a typical consumer
box (but they're nowhere near as expensive as Watchguard until you get
up into their really high-end stuff).

You might also look into Netgear's ProSafe line of products.

Happy hunting.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"

> JJonson wrote:
>> I have tried several broadband routers, Linksys, D-Link,
>> Belkin to use their features to control WWW access in
>> my home LAN. None of these allow you to set restriction
>> features within a time window. They allow you to block
>> out access at certain time windows by day of week, but
>> they dont for example have the flexibility to allow FTP
>> access while blocking eveything else in a time window.

>> Is there a prosumer level of router that has the added
>> flexibility to set access restrictions that are invoked
>> within a certain time window? This for a small home
>> network behind a cable modem.

My Siemens router gives me this capability for outbound.
Range of IPs to range of ports for times of day. But only
a limited number of entries.

Inbound is set one port to one local IP. No times.
If needed, I'd control times at the server.

-- Robert

ok...thank you. I looked em over. THey look very similar in capability to
the Linksys 54GS which also offered the subscription content filtering
service. At least the zyxel says that the protocol and time windows are not
related which is one feature I was looking for.