Windows keeps stalling after SP2 upgrade

elicash73

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
CPU - e6300
mobo - ga-945p-s3
memory - corsair cm2
gpu - quadro 540

Everything is running fine after a fresh windows install, then after I upgrade to service pack 2 the system consistently stops responding about every 5 seconds for about 2/3 seconds. The mouse just freezes, as I'm typing this text stops appearing during the stall, only to catch up with itself when the stall finishes. On bootup I can hear the hard drive exhibiting the same problem - whiiiiiiiirrrr.........whiiiiiiiiiirrrr...........whiiiiiiiiiiirr . Causing bootup and just about everythingelse to be tedious and slow.

PLEASE HELP!

note: my cpu usage is jumping between 30 and 70 percent with nothing running. I've checked for viruses but nothing has been found. the problem doesnt occur in safe mode.

elicash73

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
I went through them and then only thing was Norton. Which I disabled and uninstalled and the problem still continued.

I've since uninstalled SP2 and everything works again. I'd be happy enough to stay without but I have no USB 2.0 support.

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
What happens when you boot into safe mode? Do you still get the same problems?

Were there any devices which were not recognised in Device Manager under SP2? What you're describing sounds like an interrupt problem - where data is being passed to Windows and it's not sure how to deal with it.

elicash73

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
In safe mode all is normal. The problem does not occur.

I made sure that all devices were installed properly (i hadnt done the drivers for my lan or sound card) but unfortunately installing those didnt help either.

Any ideas?

You say your drive makes noises at bootup. Is that during post too or only when windows is booting up? Got to the drive manufacturers site and download their diagnostic tools. Also, if it's an IDE drive, check the device manager to make sure it hasn't dropped to PIO mode.

purplepulser

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
I also had a problem with sp2 and i'm currently still on sp1.

i found i couldn't delete or rename files using gui. i could do it fine with a command prompt. trying with the gui caused explorer to crash.

uninstalling sp2 fixed everything

i tried all sorts of things prior to uninstalling to fix the problem except reinstall windows with sp2 slipstreamed.

i still havn't done this yet as i've not needed to so i dont know if it will work

however flight sim x requires sp2 so that might make me hurry up and do it. i'll be interested to know if you fix your issue.

miffy

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2004
Have a look in event viewer, my guess is that if the system is causing you issues when logged in normally, then it's probably a driver problem. Safe mode boots up with a minimal driver set needed. In event viewer -> system it'll give warnings about any hardware windows has found that it doesn't know what to do with, you can also double check this against control panel -> system -> hardware -> device manager anything with a yellow triangle with a ! mark is unknown hardware. Although for the most part install Sp2 into existing XP install shouldn't upset any existing hardware but it's possible this has happened to you.

elicash73

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
Thanks guys I'll try some of your suggestions because on SP1 I'm being bombarded with popups/trojans/crap as soon as I connect to the internet.

elicash73

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
You say your drive makes noises at bootup. Is that during post too or only when windows is booting up? Got to the drive manufacturers site and download their diagnostic tools. Also, if it's an IDE drive, check the device manager to make sure it hasn't dropped to PIO mode.

It makes the regular noises only interupted every 5 seconds like everythingelse when the system stalls.

Thanks guys I'll try some of your suggestions because on SP1 I'm being bombarded with popups/trojans/crap as soon as I connect to the internet.

ouch, I would fresh install again, if possible get a copy of the offline / network install of xp sp2 here and patch it *offline* before you even plug in the network cable. If you get stuck at that point, then a slipstreamed XP SP2 install is your only hope.

If you are unsure of your hdd, best get the ultimate boot cd and give your hdd a once-over diag, it won't hurt any to make sure it's problem-free.

elicash73

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
Thanks everyone

After installing XP about 4/5 times I found out in desperation that this was a result of my main drive being in a SATA slot that isnt the one it is in now. Very odd.

...this whole experience may be a bad omen for overclocking the e6300. I shall see when my confidence has recovered.