Geforce 6 (or 7) and OS compatibility...

hardcodder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Ok, don't laugh... :oops:
i'm trying to built a system for gaming and it will be dual boot: Win98se and XP Pro. The primary concern is to be able to run games that are for win98 and won't run under XP. :wink:

I think i will go with socket 754 (amd) since those motherboards have drivers that support win98.
I tried to find a compatible mobo for socket 939 but no luck (plus most are pci-e, and pci-e cards don't have win98 drivers - unless i'm wrong?)

So, the question is , what Graphics card?: I can use the 4ti series, or the FX 5xxxx, but i would really want to use the gf 6 or even 7 series.

After researching the driver archives on nvidia's site, it seems that the 6 series cards DO HAVE drivers that are for win98 :D !
That means that i can use them, right? (an 6200agp or an 6600agp hopefully!)

But what about the 7 series? their drivers don't seem to support win98 :cry:

Anyway, can someone verify that the geforce 6 series can indeed be used under win98??
Are there any specific versions/ models that can not?
Can i just buy ANY gf6 agp model?

i can live without the gf7 series, in that case! :wink:

Thanks everyone for any help!

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Are u really buying a crippled PC to play horribly old games?

Eerything can run on XP to my knowledge, even 95 games. i have DOS games that run fine, u just need to force the game to work in a 95 envitoment in it's XP properties screen.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Forcing compatibility for Windows 98 should work just fine.

You could always just set up a PCI somethingorother graphics card, delete it in the XP device manager and use the PCI card for your Windows 98 games. Just a thought, but forcing compatibility should do the trick.

What games are you looking to play?

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Forcing compatibility for Windows 98 should work just fine.

You could always just set up a PCI somethingorother graphics card, delete it in the XP device manager and use the PCI card for your Windows 98 games. Just a thought, but forcing compatibility should do the trick.

What games are you looking to play?

Totally. Who runs anything other then XP nowadays.

I would too like to know what games u think wont work with XP.

burn-e86

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
the only game that i remember that didnt work properly on WinXp was Black and white, because it came out/was in development while XP was being rolled out... even then there were fixes....
any popular game made for win 98 or even 95 will work on XP, and any taht didnt will have been modded to run on XP

hardcodder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Crippled system, huh?.... hmmm :| as if the majority of computer users around the world all use dual-core systems... oh, well... :roll:

First, I have many parts laying around: Socket A and 754, and second, there are enough games and apps (plus hardware) that simply don't work on XP (yes, even in compatibility mode) to justify building (or even BUYING) a system that supports win98 for someone that really needs them. Maybe 'to your knowledge' they all run in XP... but not in the real world.

So, to save time and effort, i would appreciate it if someone could address the actual issue here...
Until recently, nvidia was releasing drivers that are win98 compatible. Can i use any of those drivers with an AGP gf6 or gf7 series cards and have them work properly under win98se?

If someone knows, please pass it on.
Thank you.

burn-e86

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
try it...if it works then no problem....
seriously if worst comes to worst and they The drivers dont work then just look for an older release. as i remember most games nowadays dont work on 98 anyway, so just find some old drivers.

and besides....if you go to www.nvidia.com
go to driver download or click on
http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

then select graphics drivers
Geforce and TNT2
then windows 98 i'm sure u will get the latest drivers

btw they are
ForceWare Release 80
Version: 81.98
Release Date: December 21, 2005

Donz

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2004
and don't forget that in most cases a GF4 Ti 4600 will outperform a gf 6200

and anything in the gefore 5x00 range would beat it also (except the Gf 5200)