Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

edge and which phone is faster for connecting

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 5:05:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Good day. I have seen the price on the motorola 551 and am considering it
but do also have a nokia 6620 which was giffted to me. Which will give me a
faster edge connection for Internet? v551 or nokia 6620? Thanks.

--
John W. Hess
Senior Associate
Evaluation & Training

De Witt & Associates
Suite 110
700 Godwin Avenue
Midland Park, NJ 07432

Phone: (973) 664-1963
Fax: (201) 447-1187
E-Mail: techman@optonline.net

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
which it
is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
review,
retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in
reliance
upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is
prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and
delete the
material from any computer.
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 7:22:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <jq3ld.68040$fF6.32192800@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net> on Fri, 12 Nov 2004
14:05:03 GMT, "John W. Hess" <fustibule@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Good day. I have seen the price on the motorola 551 and am considering it
>but do also have a nokia 6620 which was giffted to me. Which will give me a
>faster edge connection for Internet? v551 or nokia 6620? Thanks.

* Motorola V551 (quad band) is EDGE Class 4 (3+1)
* Nokia 6620 is EDGE Class 2 (2+1)

Thus in theory the V551 is substantially faster on downlink than the 6620
(albeit not on uplink). In current practice there may not be much real
difference on Cingular, since Cingular currently seems to be limiting EDGE to
2 downlink slots (here in Northern California at least), but given the way
GPRS was brought up to speed by Cingular, 3 or more EDGE downlink slots may
become available in the future, resulting in a substantial difference.

Surprisingly (to me at least), Cingular is supporting 2 EDGE uplink slots,
given an appropriate device (e.g., EDGE Class 10), which greatly increases
uplink speed, and currently makes for a symmetrical connection (2+2), much
like ISDN. (I'm seeing this on a Sony Ericsson GC82 PC Card, which is EDGE
Class 10.) If the highest possible speeds, now and in the future, are
important to you, go for EDGE Class 10 (3+2 or 4+1):

* Nokia 6230 (small mediocre display, FM, speakerphone, MMC cards)
* Sony Ericsson Z500a (coming soon, mediocre display, no Bluetooth)
* Sony Ericsson S710a (coming by the end of the year, cool, pricey)

I prefer clamshell phones, so I wish the V551 had better EDGE support and/or
the Z500a had Bluetooth [whatever were they thinking?!]. I'm likewise put off
by the small mediocre display of the 6230 (for the price), and the stiff price
of the S710a. [sigh] So I might go with the V551, and continue to use my
GC82 when I want the fastest possible EDGE speeds. Or just stick with my Sony
Ericsson Z600 (GPRS only) -- while it lacks GSM 850, I haven't seen that as a
problem, particularly now that I can roam freely on ATTWS.

p.s. In the whatever-were-they-thinking dept, how about the lack of EDGE in
the new Motorola RAZR V3?!

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
November 13, 2004 12:01:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

UPDATE: I discovered that my local Cingular store just got its first shipment
of Motorola V551 phones. I played with one a bit in the store, and except for
the silly Cingular customizations, I was favorably impressed, so I decided to
go ahead and buy it. With the 2-year subsidy and $50 rebate, the net price
was only $100 (plus tax and "upgrade fee"). I'll be posting more as I gain
experience with the phone.

In <jr5ld.4946$_3.62151@typhoon.sonic.net> on Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:22:39 GMT,
John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>In <jq3ld.68040$fF6.32192800@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net> on Fri, 12 Nov 2004
>14:05:03 GMT, "John W. Hess" <fustibule@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Good day. I have seen the price on the motorola 551 and am considering it
>>but do also have a nokia 6620 which was giffted to me. Which will give me a
>>faster edge connection for Internet? v551 or nokia 6620? Thanks.
>
>* Motorola V551 (quad band) is EDGE Class 4 (3+1)
>* Nokia 6620 is EDGE Class 2 (2+1)
>
>Thus in theory the V551 is substantially faster on downlink than the 6620
>(albeit not on uplink). In current practice there may not be much real
>difference on Cingular, since Cingular currently seems to be limiting EDGE to
>2 downlink slots (here in Northern California at least), but given the way
>GPRS was brought up to speed by Cingular, 3 or more EDGE downlink slots may
>become available in the future, resulting in a substantial difference.
>
>Surprisingly (to me at least), Cingular is supporting 2 EDGE uplink slots,
>given an appropriate device (e.g., EDGE Class 10), which greatly increases
>uplink speed, and currently makes for a symmetrical connection (2+2), much
>like ISDN. (I'm seeing this on a Sony Ericsson GC82 PC Card, which is EDGE
>Class 10.) If the highest possible speeds, now and in the future, are
>important to you, go for EDGE Class 10 (3+2 or 4+1):
>
>* Nokia 6230 (small mediocre display, FM, speakerphone, MMC cards)
>* Sony Ericsson Z500a (coming soon, mediocre display, no Bluetooth)
>* Sony Ericsson S710a (coming by the end of the year, cool, pricey)
>
>I prefer clamshell phones, so I wish the V551 had better EDGE support and/or
>the Z500a had Bluetooth [whatever were they thinking?!]. I'm likewise put off
>by the small mediocre display of the 6230 (for the price), and the stiff price
>of the S710a. [sigh] So I might go with the V551, and continue to use my
>GC82 when I want the fastest possible EDGE speeds. Or just stick with my Sony
>Ericsson Z600 (GPRS only) -- while it lacks GSM 850, I haven't seen that as a
>problem, particularly now that I can roam freely on ATTWS.
>
>p.s. In the whatever-were-they-thinking dept, how about the lack of EDGE in
>the new Motorola RAZR V3?!

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Related resources
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 9:10:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

John Navas Wrote:
> UPDATE: I discovered that my local Cingular store just got its first
> shipment
> of Motorola V551 phones. I played with one a bit in the store, and
> except for
> the silly Cingular customizations, I was favorably impressed, so I
> decided to
> go ahead and buy it. With the 2-year subsidy and $50 rebate, the net
> price
> was only $100 (plus tax and "upgrade fee"). I'll be posting more as I
> gain
> experience with the phone.
> >
John,

I am attempting to set up the V551 as a data modem (gateway) for my
laptop, which in turn will be connected to the V551 by bluetooth. I've
been unable to find any information on how to do this. Can you shed
some light on this question?

Thanks.


--
Daniel Y
brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com/
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 7:39:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <Daniel.Y.1h35ya@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> on Sat, 11 Dec 2004 06:10:20 GMT,
Daniel Y <Daniel.Y.1h35ya@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote:

>John Navas Wrote:
>> UPDATE: I discovered that my local Cingular store just got its first
>> shipment
>> of Motorola V551 phones. I played with one a bit in the store, and
>> except for
>> the silly Cingular customizations, I was favorably impressed, so I
>> decided to
>> go ahead and buy it. With the 2-year subsidy and $50 rebate, the net
>> price
>> was only $100 (plus tax and "upgrade fee"). I'll be posting more as I
>> gain
>> experience with the phone.

>John,
>I am attempting to set up the V551 as a data modem (gateway) for my
>laptop, which in turn will be connected to the V551 by bluetooth. I've
>been unable to find any information on how to do this. Can you shed
>some light on this question?

I used pretty much the same method as I describe in my webpages for Sony
Ericsson phones.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
!